AI Training - Will it work?

One of the biggest problems would be figuring out what the AI system should consider. That is, which of the following are signal, and which are noise:

• Objective - What are you actually trying to optimize? 20 minute power? “FTP” [how do you define this?]? Repeatability?
  • HRV - plus how do you actually get this number? First thing in the morning, average of measurements through the day, etc.
  • Resting heart rate - plus how do you define this number?
  • RPE - I personally know I suck at this, plus the current RPE scales either 10 or 20 are too large to get repeatable data
  • Hours of sleep - do naps count?
  • Life stress - how would you measure day to day vs. I had one stressful day?
  • HR response?
  • Age?
  • Weight? % Body fat?
  • Nutrition - is it calories? Macronutrient %? “Quality”? Combination?
  • Hydration
  • Room temperature / amount of fan cooling
  • Alcohol consumption
  • Muscle Oxygen - think a Moxy Monitor
  • Etc.

To construct an AI Coaching system, you would have to figure out which of the above you are going to (and then how) / not going to include, and then have a dataset with your included parameters to use for the modeling / training / etc.

And then the $64,000 question: for the “average” person, is all of that really necessary / better than what can be done by a somewhat more advanced version of the current TR plan builder (e.g., allowing me to pick the work to rest ratio, allowing me to set max length of workouts during the week - e.g., I cannot do more than 1 hour rides, etc.)?

9 Likes