Aerodynamics in cycling is a complex topic, so we took your questions to Chris Yu and Dave Koesel, two of the foremost experts in cycling aerodynamics, at the Specialized Win Tunnel. This is one of our most informative episodes yet, and we think you’ll love it!
Any questions about the episode or questions for Chris and Dave? Leave a reply below and we’ll get them answered!
Youtube Live Video:
Topics covered in this episode:
- What’s so special about the Specialized Win-Tunnel?
- Are aerodynamics important?
- Pros vs Joes with equipment and performance
- How does going into the drops effect aerodynamics?
- Does bar length matter?
- How to shift your head to gain watts
- Why do some riders create a better drafts than others?
- Does sitting up with a tail wind help?
- Does optimizing aerodynamics make a difference on the draft?
- When do you not want to wear an aero road helmet?
- How to choose a bike based on your strengths
- Glasses and Beards - do they cause more drag?
- Head position on a road bike
- Does lateral movement decrease aerodynamics?
- Why are shaved legs faster?
- Why is the UCI beginning to crack down on sock length?
- Skin suit vs. skin tight race kit
- The evolution of wheel design
- Why aren’t mountain bikes aero?
- Does Nate’s “Franken Bike” make sense for gravel racing?
- Do downhill and enduro athletes benefit from aerodynamics?
- What effects do number plates have on aerodynamics?
- Aero bars vs. round bars
- Are hydration packs beneficial?
- Does Jonathan actually have a world class CdA?
- Do the UCI rules cause frustration for product engineers?
Links mentioned in this podcast
- Specialized Win Tunnel Youtube Channel
- Specialized Venge
- Specialized Tarmac
- Specialized Evade Helmet
- Specialized Prevail Helmet
- Win Tunnel: To Beard or Not to Beard
- Specialized Evade Skin Suit
- Specialized 321 Disk Wheel
- Specialized Epic
- Specialized Ambush Helmet
- Specialized Aerofly Carbon Handlebar
- Specialized Shiv
- WIn Tunnel: Pin it to Win it video