Adaptive Training Is Now Out of Beta & Fully Available to All TrainerRoad Athletes!

You say it lowered the PL of the remaining Sunday workouts, but if you look closer did it in fact push out every Sunday workout to one week later. Meaning week 1 that you just deleted is now scheduled for week two, week two is mowed to week three etc.? If so, that is the intended function as AT is set up to let you have another go at a workout that you missed. Although I thought that this is the behavior if you skip/ignore and not delete.

If you always want to do endurance on Sundays it doesn’t matter if you delete or ignore the Sunday SS. But if you occasionally want to do SS you have do decide if you want to follow ATs SS progression for Sunday SS workouts (keep in mind that these are supposed to be easier than your other workouts) or if you want the workouts to remain unchanged. If the latter is the case your solution might be to take note of what the different workouts are now and replace using alternates the day of if they have changed.

Youd be better according to TR support (in an email to me) to be on a LV plan and add a weekend outdoors ride rather than substituting, then AT will be more likely to get the adaptions right.

That seems like a recommendation tailored especially to you. Low volume SSBII with an extra Sunday endurance isn’t even close to high volume SSBII, with or without the Sunday ride switched to endurance.

1 Like

I disagree completely. You’re comparing apples and oranges. Doing a HV plan and subbing z2 for Sundays is the ideal approach and will eventually be a TR option (how much time do you have to train on Sundays). Doing another SS on Sunday is IMHO an inferior training plan.

@tomclune, I just delete all the SS workouts on Sundays. Yes, future workouts may adjust, but just use Alternates as you see fit. I think for some they want AT to do everything and be hands off the training plan. That’s fine however, I am constantly tweaking the plan when workouts look too easy, too short or otherwise not ideal. I see AT as a guild line not a rule that leads my training. Doing so has led me to all time high power and FTP numbers this year and my races haven’t even started!

At the end of the day you are self coached with a helping hand by AT. So coach yourself and adjust to tailor a training plan specific to you.

Feel free to disagree but don’t shoot the messenger. TR Support message to me was that I shouldn’t try and match outdoors rides to TR work outs but step my MV plan to a LV plan and augment to get AT to work. Hopefully in the longer term (preferably sooner) they get PL2s launched to take account of external rides correctly :+1:

1 Like

With all due respect. You are talking about something completely different. Supports advise to you has nothing to do with this issue and when you then apply their advise to something else then it’s on you.

1 Like

Thanks all for responding. I had not anticipated that AT would target just one day of the week and assumed/feared that this was a coincidence. I also had not looked closely at the Sunday WL’s which is why I did not notice that it was just pushing these to a later week. All is good then.

Started the block this morning with the new FTP and felt really strong despite the large jump in WL from the previous block. HR was quite high, but probably because I donated blood last Monday. (Seemed the time that would have the least impact on training.)

As to HV with Sunday Z2 vs augmenting other plans, I can see each option working better for some people. Last year I did MV with the Z2 Sundays, and am preferring the reduced intensity with HV. The results of build will be the real measure though.

I don’t know which of the threads discussing Threshold and PL changes etc to put this in (sorry @mcneese.chad )

Does anyone know explicitly what the effect of changing between “Beginner” → “Expert” etc during the Plan Builder stage does?

Just thinking aloud, and from reading the posts popping up again about increasing FTP and lower PL’s. I’m curious if it does, or maybe I think it should, be an indication for whether your threshold intervals should be above a certain length.

Generally Beginner will get a plan that’s biased towards more Base work whereas Expert will have a bias more towards Build/Speciality. Just what you get will depend on what your target event (if any) is and how long you have allotted for the plan.

2 Likes

Apologies to the OP if I am misunderstanding, I’m maybe confusing their post with the umpteen similar posts, but my reading is they are doing a HV plan but they are substituting a SS Sunday work out with a Z2 ride which when associated with Town Hill an endurance workout which subsequently lowered the level of his future wo’s in the plan. Which they found a bit surprising. AT simply doesn’t handle any unstructured outdoors rides at present and the TR advice I was given was to go to a lower volume plan and treat outside ride as separate to the plan and not try to substitute them into a higher volume plan. To hopefully get AT to calculate in a way that you don’t find surprising. Hopefully PL’s 2 (or whatever they are called) is released soon and AT will be able to calculate in a method that is understandable and let people substitute rides in properly :+1:

It’s just adapting the future ones so that if you ever do decide to do the SS you don’t get an end-level workout (for a Sunday for your block).

I’d say just delete the one you don’t want to do.

If you remove the part in the parentheses you are correct, and that is an important destinction.

I also think it’s wrong to translate the advise you got of going from a mid volume plan to a low volume plan into a general advise of going to a lower volume plan. Where mid volume might be considered as a low volume plan with two extra workouts the high volume plans are something completely different.

You are maybe right about me generically applying the logic of MV to LV to HV to MV. Other than trying one for a week well before AT I’ve no real experience of HV plans. Whether or not it applies to HV plans I just hope PL2’s are launched ASAP so substituting rides for WO’s is no issue (its pretty logical to me to be able to do so and expect the plan to adapt as necessary) :+1:

So I am about to enter specialty for a TT at the end of April. I traditionally just adjusted down the resistance in TR to account for the TT position power difference. How is this going to work with AT? Isn’t it going to think I’m struggling and adjust my road position workouts down? Thanks!

1 Like

Ask TR support but I think you would be honest in your survey responses that you are struggling and having to reduce the intensity and AT and AIFTPD will do the rest.

Does anyone know if TR are planning to allow adjustment to the PL decay rates? As the weather improves I’d rather be outside so then see my levels fall away if I’ve not done a workout in the system for 2 weeks.

Should I just “associate” my outside ride with a TR workout that I think is a similar level/TSS?

I’m not struggling. Just training for a different discipline.

If you are not struggling don’t worry then AT will adapt I think as long you are honest in your reply and your AI FTP D will sort its self out in time too. Johnathon did a quite good piece on it in recent podcast something like, if you lowered the intensity but found it easy, rate it as easy and let the machine do the thinking, just be honest. But for a more definitive answer than my thoughts though contact support.

This should be fixed with workout levels V2 which will apparently consider outdoor rides for PLs - however no timescales on that yet. They have said they have an internal beta, and if I was TR I would be trying to get it in place for Northern hemisphere summer… but who knows.

In the meantime, associating the outdoor ride with a roughly equivalent workout from the catalogue is the best approach - I tend to look at intervals and TiZ rather than just TSS though, as I tend to pick up more TSS on outdoor rides and it’s not necessarily all as beneficial as the indoor stuff (which is obviously more targeted).

1 Like

What is AT trying to tell me here? I did Pinnacle +3 yesterday altough it was scheduled for Saturday. I marked it as “Hard”. Now AT is trying to replace a workout I already did with an easier version?

Also why is the +2 version for me “Productive”, but the slightly harder +3 version is only “Achievable”?