A Wild idea for Favero Assioma pedals [MTB SPD Hack]

Curious, what size shoe? Considering doing this with my Faveros and would need to get some MTB shoes to pair with

Yeah, I have the same problem. It’s driving me nuts.

I’ve tried lube and grease: no help beyond the short term. I will try @huges84’s suggestion. For which, thanks

1 Like

I can’t believe more people aren’t experiencing it. I’ve asked a couple times and usually get only 1 or 2 replies, and never from anyone who actually solved it.

I am using the original XCR cleats and do get some “squeaking”, I posted above as well…

I just assumed it is a metal to metal contact rather than the plastic metal contact from SPD-SL that i am familiar with.

Honestly, once I get on the gravel, I don’t hear it…

1 Like

It’s LOUD on mine. I’m getting a GoPro soon. I’ll record it when I can.

I’ve been riding spd for years on mtb and gravel and never experienced it before. Odd.

for those experiencing noise, which cleats are you using? Xpedo cleats or Shimano SPD cleats?
Wondering if it is a matter of material or fit.

I am using Shimano cleats. I asked the same question and others said the Xpedo ones are worse.

Here’s another thought. Shoes used with SPD pedals (and MTB shoes in general) are supposed to have those rubber lugs on both sides of the cleat. They contact the pedal body and help stabilize the shoe. If your shoes don’t have this, maybe that’s what is causing your squeaking, or at least making it worse.

Here is an adapter to convert road shoes to MTB. It includes the logs that I am talking about. Just make sure that you trim them if necessary to keep them from contacting the Assioma pod.

@huges84 I don’t know about other people’s experiences, but I found that those adapters did not last: the rubber lugs / edges just wore away after a short time [a month or two].

The fact that the pedals don’t spin freely would concern me. It’s probably introducing a fair amount of friction, which means the power meter is going to read low. The question is how much effect it has.

It would be nice if you could compare to another power meter and share the results.

Looks like your instincts were right. I was watching the power numbers yesterday during my ride. It wasn’t the most controlled or scientific test since my first priority was just to enjoy myself. Also, this was a first ride with a new brake/rotor set with a bit of pad drag going on on the front wheel.

Having said all that, the crank and pedal spindle power numbers were about the same during light pedaling at 150 watts. However, there was a noticeable difference as my power went up over 200 watts. At 300+ watts, I was observing a consistent and repeatable deficit of 25-30 watts at the crank vs the pedal spindles. I didn’t notice this kind of difference when I was running the TRVS Duo pedals.

So yes, the wellgo M194 pedals work and are much closer to proper flat pedals, but that’s a fair amount of wasted power. That puts me in a tough position. The Duo pedals really aren’t fit for purpose for technical MTB riding and these seem to be throwing away at least some power when I need it most.

Hopefully somebody will find a better flat pedal fit for technical MTB that plays nicely with Assiomas.

2 Likes

Shame there’s no easy to search resource of pedals / types of axles. I bet there must be something out there that would fit properly.

I’ve started using the Xpedo CXRs in anticipation of doing this hack, and their cleats as well. Through the pedal stroke I feel a decent amount of play up and down (x axis), especially at the top of the stroke when I’m pulling up. I’ve checked and everything is tight, is this normal?

I have the CXR’s and I haven’t noticed vertical play, but I wasn’t looking for it.

Are you using road or MTB shoes? Do you have anything between the shoe sole and cleats?

MTB shoes, VR90s. This is the first time I’ve used a MTB system though so not sure what to expect.

Judging from the photo this seems to be an ISSI 2 Triple pedal, not an ISSI Flash III. Or am I mistaken?

Re: Flash 2 vs Flash 3 - The pedal came with a spindle bearing the III of the Flash 3 which appears to be the only easily visible difference when I look at the ISSI website. Obviously, I removed the ISSI spindle. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I maybe didn’t express myself clearly.

I’m not talking about the ISSI Flash II vs Flash III. I’m talking about the ISSI 2 Triple vs ISSI Flash III. I’ve attached two pictures below, the ISSI 2 Triple is the unmounted pedal, the ISSI Flash III is the one mounted on a crank.

From the side of the pedal the difference is pretty obvious. From the top however, I’m not quite certain how to distinguish them.

ISSI 2 Triple:

ISSI Flash III:
issi-flash

Interesting. Guess I have an ISSI 2 Triple set of pedals sold to me as the Flash III. Teach me to buy crap on Ebay…

Hehe, well, great news for me though, since being in Europe I’d have to import the ISSI Flash III from the USA, whereas there seems to be some old stock ISSI 2 Triple still for sale over here.

Thanks for the super quick reply!