A Wild idea for Favero Assioma pedals [MTB SPD Hack]

Me too

Cheers for the quick answer!

Did you also do the hack with the Bontrager pedals and no problems so far?

It might be the picture, but I can’t tell if you have a gap between the sensor and the crank arm. I think the user manual requires a gap.

1 Like

Ha. No. I also have to hit the magnifying glass every time.

I hate that depending on what device you use on the forums you can’t tell which comment people reply to.

1 Like

Gods point, have to check this later, but it’s the crank-arm-bumper (Zefal Crank Armor XL Kurbelschützer - bike-components).
Anyhow, any idea why that should be or if there is any problem with my setup with no gap (the bumper itself is quite soft rubber)?

„Pressing the sensor against the crank-arm when tightening the pedal may damage it“
So I guess it will be Fine, because the pumper is softer than the crank arm

I have thought about including a bumper or crank arm protector too.

I think the main reason for a gap between the sensor and the crank arm is that the pedal itself will continue to torque down (tighten) itself against the crank arm as you pedal. This is because your weight/power will continue to rotate the pedal around its axis.

As you say, the bumper is quite soft and will likely deform. That said, soft things become hard once all the elastic deformation capability is gone. Think of squeezing an eraser…sooner or later it is hard.

In reality, I think the bumper will likely break before the plastic cover of the sensor. Perhaps just ride a few rides and take off the pedals and check for wear on the plastic and bumper.

1 Like

I‘ve tried it. Just see at my post from today! Have you already tried t yourself?

The Wellgo M19 pedal works with the Assioma hack.

This pedal is a very cheap, both in price and construction. Lots of pressed medal parts.

Pedal body has inside DU bushing rather than bearings (plastic surfaces) and the same outer bearing as the Assioma. I used all the parts from the Wellgo pedal and it spins with no binding.

I’ve not tested the feel yet but as I said - cheap!

4 Likes

Just added the second washer and now I should be fine…thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The axis as well as the inside of the pedal-body looks very similar to the one from Bontrager.

I’ve just added the second washer. So there should be enough space/protection.

Just to share: works flawlessly with Bontrager Comp SPD pedals (combined with Shimano RX800 shoes: no need to cut anything) :ok_hand:t2:

10 Likes

Thanks for your info, Im going through the same problem right now, I have been using the M4 but after a few rides they always come loose because of the O ring not letting me tight the nut as its needed.
I just read what you did, so whats your experince after not using the O ring? Did it damaged the plastic on the pod? I just tried and it seems that way will tight good enough.

Thanks

Has anyone tried this with any shimano pedals like the PD-ES600? Saw the post about shimano PD spindle image but that is not confirmed

Not happening. CyclingTips has promising news for you though.
Favero spindle

ES600

next layer

Garmin’s solution

Shimano’s body is build around loose balls, the others are cartridge/needle

1 Like

ISSI 3 works like a charm! Exact same spindle and bearings as the Assioma. And I was able to fully tighten the internal nut with no Threadlock needed.

And most importantly, the pink is close enough to the frame color to keep me smiling for hours.

10 Likes

I’ve just ordered a pair of Assioma’s that should be here within the next day or two.

I’m planning to use them on road but for occasional XC racing too so will be trying the SPD conversion.

I’ll probably swap back and forth between Road and SPD with it. From what can gather my options are -

M-Force 4 - These don’t appear to be available
M-Force 8 - Available but expensive and there seems to be a lot of poor user reviews.
CXR - Needs locktite and can’t be torqued up without binding so not ideal if swapping back and forth between SPD and Road pedal bodies
Bontrager Comp - I think these are a straight and easy swap
Wellgo M19 - I think these are a straight and easy swap
ISSI Flash 3 - straight easy swap but I’m in the UK so options are limited

Can anyone confirm that the Bontrager and Wellgo pedals can be torqued up without binding and are indeed straight forward and easy to swap over?

1 Like

Wellgo M19 is 5 minute swap no binding fully torqued