5 Years of TR but still getting dropped (Updated with Interim Results )

@STP Would you think that the 3x a week with this group is sufficient for the VO2 workouts? since 2 days are pretty much 1.5 hour blasts and the weekends are the same… but longer. Also, once winter comes, this is going to turn off/slow down, so hoping to find something that improves me for next season.

@Ian747 “whatever you have been doing is not working” - Yes would certainly agree with that. For context, I joined the group this past July, so was hoping that would be the magic bullet - since what i heard was most of the guys struggled to keep up initially now can, but doesnt seem to work for me?! So you’d suggest starting the base over? Wouldn’t my top end suffer in the interim?

@Cleanneon98 Seems like we did very similar plans and approaches but its almost like you’ve started with a bigger engine at 268!

Here is a typical view of my weeks. Notice how consistent my riding is (I had surgery in the winter of 2019, so that’s why there is a big hole!)

1 Like

My FTP was 196 my first year of riding, went to 219 early in the second year and I did a bunch of solo rides and started riding with groups. My third year FTP was in the 230-240 range early and that’s when I started riding with faster groups and got involved in local Strava shenanigans. By the end of that year my FTP was 268, and I jumped into TR for those 15 weeks and came out in the 290-300 range. By the end of year 4 outside (this year) I was able to do 325 for 20 minutes.

Honestly, chasing Strava segments may be frowned upon as lame by some, but it helped me put in those burst efforts and I think that was huge in upping my intensity.

4 Likes

@Ian747 First, that calendar is insane, but not sure that time off is acceptable, JK. Question for the crew here, does everyone’s calendar look like this? And 1,171 is something else. May I ask your age? I know if i tried to ride EVERY day, 1, I’d have 0 time for social life/work, 2 my body may fall apart (joints and tendons like flower petals) and 3, I would be single very quickly.

Also, to be clear, my goal isnt to be a racer, but everyone wants to go faster/do longer rides faster.

How do you manage this? All inside?

I’m going to second the whole “your FTP is too low” thing, as well, but I’m also going to highlight that your anaerobic capacity (and ability to recover after going anaerobic) may also be contributing.

I actually stopped doing group rides for pretty much this reason – I could hold my own on the flats and smaller climbs, but when the group put down the hammer on the bigger climbs, I was either a) off the back or b) blowing up halfway through the ride. I just couldn’t hit those big power numbers without expending all of my anaerobic capacity, and I couldn’t hang with the group when using only my aerobic system.

So, maybe you need to build up your FTP and VO2 / anerobic power before trying to jump back into your group rides. That’s my plan, right now – Sweet Spot Medium Volume Base into Sustained Power Medium Volume Build.

3 Likes

Mine does.

Are you in your ‘off season’ now?

You need more consistency and build a bigger aerobic engine, more time in the saddle. VO2Max etc without aerobic capacity, sorry to be blunt, won’t cut it.

1 Like

Ha ha, it was definitely weird being off the bike for so long!

I’m 44, and it really isn’t very difficult to fit in a ride almost everyday. Some of my rides are in the am, some are at night, some on the trainer, but my wife is cool with my longer Saturday am ride most of the year.

Oh, that big tss week was a trip to Spain, so not typical!

2 Likes

@jpolchlopek Sounds exactly like my problem. Thanks for putting it so succintly. Im thinking that sticking with the group at least keeps pushing my VO2, and if i get dropped it’s destructive to the ego, but least they’re waiting at the top of the climb to start the suffering again.

Once the winter rolls around i need a better plan and it’s probably a medium volume plan, but not sure which - or a DIY plan based on everyone’s suggestions here (if someone wants to build one for me that would be great.)

Impressive to say the least. Big question is what are your rides like, where did you start (FTP), what was your overal improvement, how long have you been doing this to get where you are? Ie did you start at 7 yrs old and your body is acilmated to this?

Just looking for that “magic bullet” of what to do. Do you not think it could be done with less than 7 days a week? Would focusing on V02 get me there?! It seems like these guys ride 2-4 days a week and some how are just genetically built for riding. They’re not twigs either, some are big boys, like riding behind freight trains, but they sprint and climb like gazelles…

Do you think some of this is physical vs just training. Like you said, with this much riding you’d expect higher. Also, would bike fit/posture/gym have any benefit here, or are we just talking marginal with that.

You won’t go far wrong with SSB MV and if you can handle it through in some long endurance rides if time allows. Where you are there is no need for a bespoke individualised training program. I’d put money on you reaching your goals with a higher volume plan than in the past i.e upping it to mid volume and sticking to the standard TR suggested progressions.

2 Likes

Where are you from OP?

I’m in the northeast, so the luxury of riding year round is unfortunatly not an option.

No “Magic Bullet”, here, my friend. TR is more of a “magic bandolier of different caliber bullets” in the hope that one or more will hit the target!

Increase your training volume by a few hours a week (SSB MV is a great place to start). Retest your FTP (you may want to do something other than the ramp test if, like me, you are anaerobically constrained). Be prepared for a slow but steady increase in FTP every 6 weeks (I anticipate 2% for myself). And, honestly, consider riding with a slower group for a little bit, or stop the group rides entirely for a while and focus on your training (unless it’s spring/summer where you are, in which case, screw riding inside and get out there and enjoy the sun! [EDIT: I too am in Northeast US, so I’m off for a bit])

To me, yeah, trying as hard as I can to keep up on the hills isn’t really “good training”, as you get dropped, you burn a big portion of your anaerobic reserves, and it’s a lot of training stress. VO2max / anerobic training inside, though? Yes, that’s productive.

Same, I’m from Philadelphia so my outdoor riding is just about done. Cold months are a good time to bundle up and do some MTB hooliganism because I’m more covered up for when I crash

2 Likes

I mostly ride easy and do 2 quality sessions per week (could be a throwdown ride or intervals). I do a variety of riding to keep things fresh. From Dec to April I’m on the fatbike on snow single track for most of my riding, and on the trainer for quality sessions.
I also ride a lot of gravel roads and mtn bike during the warmer months.

I started riding around 2001? but more serious starting in 2006, so I got more serious in my early 30s.
I have many years of 500-600 hours per year on the bike consistently over the past decade. That helps a lot!

I have raced at the cat 1 level on the road and mtn bike, so I likely have good genetics, but not amazing. My FTP at my best condition is just over 5w/kg, but that’s only achievable when I’m really lean. I’m only around 4.5 right now. When I started riding there were no powermeters! In fact I didn’t get one until 5 years ago, so I haven’t seen a lot of improvement because I was already near 5w/kg when I started using it.

I have seen some people get very good on low hours, but it’s definitely the exception. The vast majority of people need that higher volume on a consistent basis. I’d guess you are one of those people.

3 Likes

I’d start with trying to figure out what’s most limiting you right now: aerobic or anaerobic capacity. It may well be that they are equally limiting, but for some of us, one is a bigger struggle than the other.

I’d then flow to the idea that there are ways to improve both off of the bike. It may be worth exploring a gym workout routine to strengthen the muscles you’re using on the bike. In my opinion, significant strength gains are much more efficiently achieved in the gym than on the bike. If it’s aerobic, then certain workouts on and off the bike can help with that, too.

I would think, with five years of TR under your belt, maybe it’s time to try something other than just sticking to it. I’m not saying stop using TR; I’m only saying explore supplementing it.

Will

@Ian747 sounds like you drew the good genetics card here… Cat 1 and 5 w/kg :star_struck:. Feels like you’re right tho and I need more volume. Just quite frustrating when the “kids” are passing you without breaking a sweat/putting in the hours.

So assuming the low intensity, re-do it all, approach isnt going to fit in the schedule, what plan/workouts would you suggest. Would you agree with @jpolchlopek and say that this winter I take on a mid volume plan (if so which one)? Hard to drop doing the group stuff all together because it’s part of the fun of riding. Not expecting Cat 1, but a solid cat 4.5-5 would be nice!

@Wad06 - How would you figure out which that is? I just joined this group in July so was hoping the added intensity would help. If you look at my calendar my weekly TSS previously was usually <300 until recently.

Also, i’ve heard “if you want to get fast at hills, ride hills” i’ve also joined some hill-repeat groups which i may be trying out.

Thoughts here?

When you’re getting dropped, which happens first: your legs catch fire and the muscles are just “done,” or are you so winded you just feel like you can’t move any of your body anymore?

If it’s the first, hit the gym and do some of the many routines on these forums. If it’s the second, focus on building your cardiovascular fitness (both on and off the bike).

If it really is both equally, you really do need to work on both. I’d still think hitting the gym and building significant leg strength will help, a lot.

Also, nutrition is huge to any strength gains. Give your body the fuel it needs to build the new muscle.

With an FTP of 216, I think you’re in the range of additional leg strength being a huge plus, even if it’s just for the short bursts. I am certainly generalizing and could be wrong.

Will

Interesting thought, it’s primarily the 2nd where the chest explodes and breahing becomes strained, though as a result, the legs just dont get the fuel they need. Guess it’s hard to say because geting dropped is just a miserable experience, as i’m sure you’re all unaware of ;).

"I think you’re in the range of additional leg strength being a huge plus " probably right here, most of these boys are a bit more robust than I.