Zwift + Trainerroad on PC with just 1 ANT+ Stick (Smart Trainer + separately Powermeter on Bike)

Hello,

anybody knows if it’s possible to run Zwift and Trainerroad together on one PC with one ANT+ Stick - when using my Smart Trainer (Tacx Neo) for Trainerroad (ERG to control Power) and pair my Powermeter (Power2max) on my bike to Zwift as powersource (without control).

So…
Tacx Neo → Trainerroad (via ANT+) ERG/controlable
Powermeter → Zwift (via same ANT+) no control (just source)

Should be possible… am i right?

Thanks.

No, this doesn’t work. Only one application can access your ANT+ stick at a time.

To get around this you would need to either:

1. Buy a second ANT+ Stick, one for Zwift, one for TR
  2. Use Bluetooth, there’s quite a bit more flexibility here.

Just an example of what I do:
TR: Bluetooth connection to Tacx Neo 2T and Garmin HR Dual
Zwift: Bluetooth connection to Stages Gen 3 and ANT+ to Garmin HR Dual

I used to connect with ANT+ for the power meter as well, but I found Bluetooth a bit more stable in my setup.

3 Likes

Aaaah ok, thanks… now i get it.
you just can’t use one ANT+ for 2 applications…

Before I just thought because of you still also use just one ANT+ to connect HRM, Powermeter, Smart Trainer, Cadence… but that was in one application.

Thank you

This is what I do that works:
Use ANT+ for trainer to trainerroad. power and controllable
Use Bluetooth via Zwift companion on the phone to Zwift. Could even use the same power source (trainer) Just make sure to disconnect controlable in Zwift.

I’ve done this on my laptop with Zwift connected using the ANT+ and TR connected using Bluetooth, which worked fine but was a bit of a faff, as I like to have my laptop to the side of the bike so I can use the keyboard if needed, but then you can’t see the TR workout properly (I have a separate TV which shows the Zwift screen).

But now I tend to just use my laptop for Zwift and run the TR app on my phone (connected via BT) to run the workouts. That’s been easier to handle.

1 Like

tr can be displayed directly at the bottom of the zwift screen, you can try

This is what I do too. Ant+ for TrainerRoad on a Samsung Phone, Bluetooth to Zwift on Apple TV. Cyclops/ Saris Hammer (v.1)

Very few phones support ant+, and Samsung is one of them. You can actually buy ant+ to Bluetooth devices for about $50

I’ve used TrainerRoad with OTG cables/ connectors and Ant+ stick too. Slightly more flaky than native, but not massively so.

This tool could also be interesting if anybody doesn’t know jet

Just following up on this matter, I’ve been using both platforms simultaneously for over two years now:

• TR on iPhone via bluetooth
  • Zwift on PC/Mac via Ant+ USB stick with the “controlable” option OFF;
  • HR wahoo dual;
  • ERG mode on TR always ON;
  • Wahoo Kickr as power source to both plaftorms; and
  • No powermeter paired to any platform.

Is there a possibility that when I hit different gradient on Zwift, the power output/resistance may be affected on TR although TR is the “governing” power??

• No, I don’t think that is possible when the Z Controllable box is off.

I’ve seen more than one person swear it actually happens, but I would wager they are being influenced by what they see on screen vs actual power/resistance variation.

• I suggest a test where you are connected just like you mention, but setup so you CAN’T see the screen. Select a very active route like through Titans Grove, Hilly or others with plenty of quick and sharp pitch change, and have a separate person watch you on those course.
  • You have to give feedback to them if/when you think this mystery change happens and the check against where you are on course.
  • All a silly exercise really, but I would bet good money that our heads do a number on us while the reality is that there are no changes.

As of now, you might even just look at the post ride results. Digest the power graph against your cadence at the very least. If you view this on Strava results, you can also see the route profile. If what you suggest is happening, there should be evidence in the form of a power change not associated with a cadence change and a result of the road pitch. In a perfect world, if your cadence was dead steady, any magic would show with a notable power change that is consistent with the profile.

I could be totally missing something here, but I have done this combination since Feb 2016 and believe that any changes like this are all in our minds vs reality via the apps.