Zwift Play Controller with TrainerRoad

Curious if anyone has tried remapping the buttons on the Zwift Play controllers to work with TrainerRoad? I’d love to be able to use them to change resistance mode and adjust intensity without reaching over to my laptop.

I imagine its seen as just a bluetooth keyboard on whatever device its laired to.

I’m tagging this as a feature request because maybe trainerroad could do the mapping in their software?

I am more interested when Wahoo inevitably brings virtual shifting to its entire Kickr lineup and opens up an API to other training apps.

1 Like

Actually, no, because they use Zwift’s own proprietary protocol and not a standard specification, so I don’t think TR could do this unless Zwift opens it up for third party developers. I agree that it would be cool, though.

1 Like

What I did is buy a cheap 2-button “keyboard” and tape it to my bars. You can map the keys to anything. So I have mine set to +/- the erg resistance.

The other option is a Streamdeck from Elgato. They have various sizes. I 3D printed a mount so it sits in my Garmin mount.

Way more customizable. Also has hot keys to control music and movies.

Music controls top left. Volume bottom left. Erg and resistance changes top right. Mode change bottom right. Then a button to open up TR (which also has a whole sequence that opens up TR, music, and QuickTime).

And here is the 2-button I use:

Edit: it may be hard to see, but the erg is all the way to the right so I can actually hit it with my thumbs.

4 Likes

I just like the idea of you FaceTiming during a TR VO2 Max workout.

2 Likes

The elgato or mini keyboard could work. The longer I’ve worked in the tech field the more attractive a reasonably priced off the shelf solution looks.

Its crazy that it uses a proprietary protocol. I wounder how TrainerRoads relationship woth Zwift is and if they could get access to that protocol. I doubt many people are choosing Zwift specifically for the fact that they have a play controller, so opening up that protocol would only serve to sell more units.

1 Like

“I’m working out, can’t talk”

“I don’t believe you”

Hit FaceTime button

“I knew this button would come in handy eventually”

2 Likes

I totally forgot I had one of these in a drawer, thanks for the idea!

1 Like