Your FTP improvements

Well Done !

1 Like

I actually had to get off the bike for a couple of months to get physical therapy (2 sessions per week + daily exercises at home. During therapy it was mostly hot/cold packs and a couple of elastic exercises band.

For me, I would say the exercises at home helped me realize some of the muscle imbalance issues I had: the exercises where not painful for my groin area but they were hard due to not having good supporting musclesā€¦ My therapist (who is a sport physiologist) told me it was an overuse injury coupled with muscle imbalance.

What worked for me:

• seriously back off intensity (my therapist recommended not to stop riding to rebuild strength)
  • avoid keeping knees too close to the head tube to avoid nerve pinching
  • slowly up intensity until the point you can maintain a reasonable amount of work with little to no pain

Hang in there. It took me two months (Aug-Oct 2017) before I could feel like I could up the intensity. Even then, I decided to back off from high volume plans I was following just to make sure I fully recover (see TSS below)
Good luck!

1 Like

Iā€™ve never managed to get the Tacx app to connect to my vortex smart. No problems with TR or Zwift. I calibrate on TR every time and have only ever had trouble with the workouts if I donā€™t calibrate in TR. Iā€™d be interested to know - are you iphone or android when using the tacx app ?

Android.

I donā€™t have a vortex anymore but can verify that it works currently with my wifeā€™s flow from either of our phones.

I also have no issues connecting from Android (Google Pixel XL). I might try backing off the tension a little as I think it is close to the upper limit.

Thanks for the input, so spot on with what i have been diagnosed with and just starting to turn the corner for meā€¦

My first year at Trainerroad.
Completed SSB II low at 259 Ftp. Saturday 15 Dec.
Ramp test Monday 17 Dec 276 Ftp.
51 year 3,68 W/kg
Aiming for Ftp 300 or 4 W/ or more if possible.
Continuing with Sustained Power Build Low
Putting som indoor bike in between, as recovery rides.
My A race is Grandfondo Stelvio I June 19

1 Like

iPhone here with no issues using the tacx app

1 Like

Big kudos to your suggestion.
Really happy with todayā€™s effort as I completed Geiger +2, FTP 256w. I didnā€™t think I would be able sustain the power but everything was smooth. :ok_hand:t3:

Will keep calibrating the vortex with the tacx app prior to workouts.

1 Like

Wow! Thats fantastic

Just finished the ramp test for short power build. 358

9/24 208 (did wrong)
9/25 258
11/5 320
12/17 358

Ftp/kg 5.78 from 5.22 from 4.21

TR is the single best thing Iā€™ve done for myself ever.

11 Likes

Awesome progress and results.

1 Like

Thanks!

Coach Chad and the TR team are the best!

1 Like

Age 46
Weight 150lbs

Started SSBMV1 Oct 6th
Base FTP 142 FTP/kg 2.09

Started SPBMV DEC 18th
Base FTP 163 FTP/kg 2.40

First time I have ever done any structured training for anything but happy with a 21w gain!

6 Likes

Peadarcurran, Did you find the workouts getting easier in SSB1 and 2 as it went on?

I noticed that you donā€™t have any outdoor rides. Is this your first time using a power meter out of curiosity? Obviously 4.21 to 5.78 in 3 months is a tremendous improvement and fwiw is way outside the bell curve for rate of improvement.

What type of racing or riding do you do?

I had some that imported from Garmin but I felt weird about them being there and having the profile public so I deleted them. This is my first time using a power meter. Before this I was alternating between all out rides (just push myself hard for an hour or so) and then aerobic zone rides using my vivoactive HR. I would say after completing SSB that my riding outdoors was not hard enough. That being said I quit smoking in December of last year and feel like this summer was more about getting my cardio system back on track.

I havenā€™t raced yet, but I bought my license for next year and am hoping to race a few crits and maybe a short road race or two.

I figured that my improvement was not normal at all but wasnā€™t sure how not normal. I never played sports as kid and havenā€™t done any physical activity with regularity outside of cycling.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be really curious to hear about your results. Provided your power meter is appropriately calibrated, you should be an absolute monster out there.

1 Like

181 - 12/24/2017 - Zwift
191 - 3/17/2018 - Zwift
193 - 7/11/2018 - Zwift
STARTED TRAINERROAD
235 - 8/6/2018 - TR
??? - 9/29/2018 - Ended XC Race Season after Specialty Phase
Grade 3 AC Separation Left Shoulder:grimacing:
260 - 10/23/2018 - TR - (even after my Grade 3 AC Separation 9/29/2018)
242 - 11/20/2018 - TR - (was sick and been doing Traditional Base, poor test day)
250 - 11/20/2018 - TR - (Manual FTP adjustment because of poor test)
265 - 12/18/2018 - TR - (After Traditional Base 1 & 2)

3.34 w/kg (42 yrs old, cycling since April 2017)

Looking at my FTP history I canā€™t seem to figure out how I pretty much stagnated for 7 months, then had an unexplained steady increase since July 2018šŸ¤Æ

7 Likes

The power meter is the kickr core. I calibrate it once every two weeks or so. Should I be worried the numbers are off?

I can only hope so! I still have a lot of racecraft to learn.