Workout Levels V2 update? [Unstructured Rides]

Is the motivation survey working for anyone? I’ve done 2 workouts since the new update and haven’t had 1 pre workout survey…

Nah, I haven’t seen the motivation survey. I also saw it on the notes.

Definitely some cool things coming.

I don’t much care for the notification thing in the top. The added functionality for resuming rides should be great, though I wish there was some sort of delay/check for TR updating to Strava/Garmin Connect after a crash. By the time the app loads (which can take ages after a crash) and then gets through the options to resume, the workout pops up in Strava and I have to go delete

3 Likes

I think this is fairly well handled in Xert. Instead of just assigning a TSS value to each workout (structured or not), Xert will have separate strain scores for Low Intensity, High Intensity and Peak Intensity. The thinking is that the more you strain say the High Intensity system the higher score you will get. If you do an endurance ride the high intensity score will be low.

Xert will also prescribe previous outdoor rides alongside indoor workouts with similar stats. In my case Xert will propose a few times times up a hill (just under 20 min each) on my harder days.

1 Like

There are a few improvement points. It will happily suggest that you go for an another 250 XXS ride as soon as you come back from such a ride (same day). And the endurance rides are really anything at TP and below, so don’t expect that you can complete them all.

2 Likes

Anyone know when the new updates are coming? It’s been a while now since they announced anything. I’m keen to get these outside rides analysed!!!

3 Likes

I moved your post under the long running one covering the topic. Read up above to see the prior discussion.

In short, nothing coming other than teasers on the podcast from time to time.

8 Likes

I’d love to do an outdoor workout, and because of terrain, have to extend the rests, and then see that reflected in the difficulty.

1 Like

Oh @mcneese.chad, keep the faith! :wink:

DukeNukemForever

6 Likes

Is it happening??!?!??!

I haven’t seen any update since the podcast. Of course we had the holidays, so my expectation is to start hearing something after the New Year.

I can’t remember…is WLV2 going to incorporate off bike cardio, like running and hiking?

Nate’s great but he is terrible about over promising and under delivering.

Here’s his typical pattern:

• TR prototypes something and internally trials it.
  • Nate tries it himself and gets amped up
  • Nate spontaneously talks about it on the forums / podcast
  • Nate spitballs something like “if there’s no issues, this will come out in beta / production in 1-2 weeks”
  • Nothing comes out for a few months. Turns out there were edge cases not considered, bugs, UI work needed, etc. Maybe the whole thing needs to be redone.
  • Nate apologizes and admits it’s delayed. Depending on the situation, he may immediately start the hype cycle again.

I don’t think this is done on purpose, more it’s a character flaw. But how many times do you have to get bitten to stop petting the stray dog?

6 Likes

I think Nate knows what he’s doing when he talks about up coming product releases.

He’s a clever guy and knows what marketing approach works best for him/TR.

4 Likes

I cancelled my subscription because of the workouts v2 delay.

2 Likes

I listened to the first 200-ish episodes of the podcast. He’s the type to make major proclamations on the spot. Like that he’s doing X major cycling event this year, then later realize that wasn’t going to happen. Thus I believe that he is telling us what he thinks is the truth, at least in the moment.

If it weren’t for that, I would take my normal cynical view and think he’s doing it to keep people subscribed while TR improves their product.

Here’s one past example of WLV2 coming soon (pinky promise) from Sep 2022.

1 Like
  • Not from anything I’ve seen or heard.
2 Likes

If I recall correctly, Nate asked the community if they wanted updates, even if they were delayed or far off. The overwhelmingly response was yes.

5 Likes

Same.

Yeah but that could be kept to updates like feature X is at development stage 4 of 6, if it fails to meet criteria here it’s going to go back to stage 2. Talk of releases, even in beta, should be avoided until it’s actually released IMO.

Some people will interpret what Nate said as “we’re just picking our marketing name for it then it’s coming out in beta.” But he said there’s testing still happening.

For reference:

4 Likes

Here’s a shortened version if what Nate said [my editorial comments and edits are in square brackets]:

“What I want is [… goes on to describe red light / green light and that it requires WLV2]. [Sudden cut in the video]. I just got message on this, I’m going to see it after this [he doesn’t even know what the status is], and if that goes right, I’m going to have certain people on the forum start using it like tomorrow, like it’s already going to be live to more people, and if that goes well then we’re going to go to early access for people. And there’s so many cases we’re going to have to understand.

[Talks about RLGL benefits]. The design is done and marketing [… tries to remember the marketing name, describes RL/GL]. We’re trying to get it out ASAP but it’s going to be tough with the holidays and stuff [which is exactly why he should have kept quiet about timing IMO].

[More talk of how good RL/GL is …] And then, what the next step is [bad idea to talk about far future stuff right after promising imminent release of long awaited stuff], is we think this might be a way to help subscribe [pretty sure he meant prescribe] volume for like plan builder, like run it through a simulation with RLGL or fatigue monitor to see what is the right amount that you’re not going to get in these holes plus add these other options.

And I’ll guess I’ll spoil this too [keep on digging that hole], we’re adding in the ability on plan builder that you’re going to be able to change a ride to a group ride or solo […]. Once you do that ride, WLV2, we’re not going to show it you yet, there’s still some tweaking, but the back end system uses it to understand that ride, it’s more than just TSS, it’s using all the workout levels to understand that ride and adapt [RLGL and AT].”

That was very confusing and not concise. I’m still not sure whether he means WLV2 is coming soon or not, at least as anything user facing. In my eyes, Nate is the CEO who cried “stay subscribed, the product will be fixed any day now” too many times.

People really want their non-TR rides to count towards PL. And that’s been publicly stated to be in the works for more than 2 years. Get it done and get it out there. I’m tired of hearing excuses or about other things they are doing. If I didn’t have a big discount for staying subbed I would have been long gone.

5 Likes