Winter tubeless road tires

I’m running Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tubeless in 30mm as a bit of an experiment in comfort and trying tubeless. So far have had one small cut that needed patching, but otherwise they roll well (enough for fast group riding) and are super comfy.

Last winter I ran (rather bravely) Vittoria Corsa and Corsa Control in 25c, with the control on the rear. They’re lovely tyres, but inadequate for British winter, lots of cuts to the tread and a handful of punctures over a couple of months.

I may have commented further up the thread but I’ll do it again for this year. I’ve been running 30mm Vittoria Corsa Controls since last Fall. I’ve gone through one rear (from wear) and haven’t had a single problem that wasn’t caused by not refilling the sealant or other neglectful maintenance things like a loosening valve stem. I don’t ride a ton outside in the winter but they’ve held up for ~6500 mi this year including some extended stretches of dirt road and light gravel. I’ve had some gravel that pulls the outer rubber layer off the sidewall and exposed some threads but it’s never affected their ability to hold air or anything, just aesthetics.

I had planned on swapping to Corsa’s when racing started but since that never happened I just stuck with them.

What are you guys doing for sealant in the winter? I’ve had very good luck with regular Orange Seal for non-winter riding…should I give their subzero version a shot? Can I top off the current sealant with that or would I have to clean out the tires and remount?

Thanks!!!

Cool! These are the Corsa Control G2.0, right? I’m leaning towards this option. Mind sharing how easy/difficult they were to mount? Did you need to use a compressor?

I know this varies a lot depending on the rim/tire combination, but always helpful to get another data point.

1 Like

I’ve had great luck with GP 5000 TL’s but want something more durable for winter riding. I don’t race but I’ve definitely gotten used to a fast feeling tire. Do these still feel pretty fast? Did they end up being true to size? Thanks!!

Yeah they’re the G2.0 version. I have them on my stock DT Swiss R470 DB rims. They were easy to get onto the wheel but I don’t have a compressor so it took a bit to get it up onto the bead to seat it with a floor pump. If I had a compressor then it would have been super simple.

Oh interesting, thanks for sharing. Did you do anything special to get the bead to seat, or just pump really fast?

Also, how have the DT Swiss rims been working out for you for tubeless? I have a pair of DT Swiss 1450 Spline rims that I’m thinking of converting to tubeless, but have been holding off because DT Swiss rims don’t have a rim bead lock. I’ve read that this isn’t as safe as rims that do have a bead lock. Of course, it really all comes down to risk tolerance. There are people out there riding tubeless with non-TLR rims and regular clincher tires…

Cheers. Appreciate the feedback!

It just took some time to pull the tire up onto the bead shelf with the tire levers before pumping so that it had a little bit of a seal. So it took a bit of strength, technique, and patience. Then just fast pumping. I imagine that if I had a compressor it would have been super simple.

I haven’t had any issues with burping or anything like that. When I had to replace the rear it didn’t just fall off the rim when deflated, I had to pull it way from the bead so it was stuck on there pretty good.

1 Like

Yes, they feel fast for being almost puncture proof. This is subjective of course, but if you search “Pirelli Cinturato Velo review” there are a lot of positive reviews. I haven’t done a back-to-back comparison, say rolling down a hill from a complete stop and seeing how far I roll. That said I recently did a long segment and almost hit PR on that 8 mile segment, in similar (strong) tailwind conditions:

• Pirelli at 80psi / 18:39 / 231W
  • Conti GP4000 SII at 95psi / 18:29 / 284W

Totally unscientific, I’d call that tie although power was a little higher on the PR from 3 years ago. The Conti are about ~5W lower rolling resistance on a smooth drum (BicycleRollingResistance). That particular stretch of road is a lightly used county highway, surrounded by fields (no weird wind patterns), and tarmac is older and somewhat rough. I’ve seen enough PRs on the Pirelli Cinturato Velo, on both smooth and rough road surfaces, to say the rolling resistance is not a limiter, and they are plenty fast and corner well in the real world. Racing crits? I’d swap out to Conti 5000 TL or Specialized (for me these have better road feel vs Conti). Everything else? Pirelli Cinturato Velo.

2 Likes

That’s awesome to hear. Thanks again for the feedback.

1 Like

I’m also very happy with these tyres. My covered a ridiculous amount of miles before they needed to be replaced. I ran them so low I could peel the tread off with my hands.

1 Like

I ran mostly Schwalbe G-One Speed 30 tubeless last winter and it got through about 3000 miles without a single issue. Tread nobbles wore significantly but that didnt seem to affect performance/grip in any way. Loved them at 65psi on our crappy roads.

I also ran Hutchinson Fusion 5 11 Storm All Weather in 28 on another bike and was hugely impressed with those. Again zero punctures or issues and these are such an easy tire to fit - even on rims I had actually hung up after numerous disasters trying to replace tyres on the side of the road when used with tubes (Ultegra wheels).

When I venture out it’ll be on Continental 5000TL tyres. I used them to good effect group riding last winter most weekends but this year I don’t really have the motivation to get out doors alone if its not good weather. Pre chemo I rode thousands of miles on my own in all weathers but now I’ve got into interval training I’m less enthusiastic about it.

The 30c G-One Speed Evos are the shizzy for “roubaix” tires. They roll like top end road tires, but can deal with road junk. I tried Vittoria Corsa Conrtrol 2.0 and the tread profile just grabs glass.

Get the old OneStar Microskin g-One speeds ones while they last. The new ones are SLOW. :worried:

1 Like

thanks for the tip - I hadn’t heard that they had updated them. I did in fact get a 2nd set a few weeks ago when I saw them on sale.

Hm, I am not too happy with the Pirelli Cinturato Velo 32mm. Yes, they may super bullet proof, yet I don’t feel they really grippy…especially not in comparison to GP5000.

I am still on the search. Was thinking some Panaracer GK, maybe even semi slick plus?

Last winter I rode the Pirelli Cinturato 32mm and it appear to me bullet proof, there was absolutely no puncture…
Rolling and grip feels not like a race tire, that absolutely true.
The winter before I used the Panaracer Slick in 32mm. Very nice rolling and grip, but I had several punctures, However the sealant fixed all of them.
The Panaracer Slick plus. I have also, it replaced my worn tire on the back. Rolling is not smooth as the normal version. But because I rode the plus only 1000km in spring, i can’t really say anything about protection.
Panaracer GK I currently ride on CX for hard pack. One can ride it on asphalt, but is not optimal.

Overall I don’t think there is one best choice…

Continental Gator Hardshell :muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

It’s the only one that survives in London with all the broken glass in the roads.

I’m also on the heavy side which doesn’t help either (it’s my bones, they are quite heavy :joy: )

2 Likes

How is the ride quality of the Conti Gator Hardshell vs. Conti Gatorskin? I had to take off a pair of Gatorskins as they outright dangerous (slippery, like when climbing on wet tarmac) in wet conditions here in the rainy Pacific NW USA and the ride quality was abysmal.