Winter tubeless road tires

Sorry, I wasn’t sure if it was OK to post a link to a site selling it -

That tool is a Koolstop Tire Bead Jack - it’s super easy to find online. I use it on my carbon wheels with no problems as well!

For sure - if it’s cold weather, I let them roast near my woodstove a while before installing :slight_smile: Plus soapy bead, plus air shot in from a large air tank at 100 psi, through a modified valve insert with no stem to let the air rush in faster… there was another epic thread on here that gave me so many useful tips.

It was the GP5000TL that finally broke me - it seems they are notoriously bad on some rims (I have Reynolds Assaults) but I also found this tool just makes any install a heck of a lot easier!

I see more quality control complaints in reviews on Hutchinson than any other brand by 10x; Schwalbe it seems are very fast and loved by some but hated by many for durability, so I haven’t tried either of them. Early on, I used the tougher Panaracer tires thinking they would let me avoid pinch flats, get a better ride, and still just as fast as 4-seasons, but the GP5000TLs have been worth the extra pain. I could see an improvement in RR looking at power vs. speed data from round trips on a flat rail trail I ride a lot.

IRC is another one to consider - esp. the x-guard for rougher conditions - they used to be hard to find outside of ebay, but now I see them on Jenson USA. Have never read a complaint about quality or wet grip on these - only that they aren’t as fast as a race tire. Not cheap, but they have three varieties trading off speed/durability in 25&28mm road tubeless whereas Panaracer only has one “all around” type. I have ridden the IRCs maybe 1000 miles in 28 mm x-guard including abusing them at Battenkill and a practice ride on very chunky gravel where I managed to burp a ~70 psi tire just going way too fast for the conditions on a road bike - but no damage to tire, topped it up, and it was fine!

My rear 5000TL ended up with a small puncture that wouldn’t seal, out of frustration I rolled the dice and bought the 4 Seasons on sale.

Next tubeless I’m going to try:

I had the said pirelli tubeless tires you mention, they are okay. I just hope your not expecting decent rolling resistance? They are 10 watts a tire worse than gp5000

Yes I read the review and would gladly give up 10W if they have some actual puncture resistance. The GP5000TL was expensive and fragile. At that price point I had a better experience with Specialized tubeless.

I got the Conti 4Seasons for the Winter season, 28mm in the front and the massive 32mm in the rear.
no TL setup yet but it works like a charm, just fitting them was a nightmare even compared to my normal Challenge Strada tires.
My winter setup in full wet weather kit, it ain’t pretty but it works :

1 Like

What fenders are those?

they are SKS Speedrocker , designed for disc gravel bikes but also work with road disc bikes with a bit more tire clearance.

That’s Canyon Ultimate, right? I have Endurace, was looking Speedrocker as they provide more coverage than Raceblades XL, but wasn’t sure about the clearance.

yes, it’s a 2017 Ultimate, tire clearance should be quite similar on a Endurace. This is a size XL so some modifications to the connecting rods may be necessary in order to have the fender close to the front and rear wheel and prevent spray from splashing from under the fender.

Last year most of my winter rides were done on either 25mm GP4000s or 28mm “Hell of the North” Spesh Turbo Cottons with latex tubes. No punctures… This year I’ll probably be on GP5000TL 25s.

I really like the Pirelli’s.
As a heavier rider who loves belgian cobbles and dirty country roads every type of Continental tire seemed to flat really fast.

Switched to Michelin Pro4 endurance and they were noticeably more durable (the power endurance seems to get cuts a bit quicker than the Pro4’s).

Then tried the Pirelli’s this spring and rode them without a single flat all summer.

I don’t fear short gravel stretches or rocks and potholes anymore!
And no more eyerolls from the group when I flat YET again :roll_eyes:

They might not be the tire you want for crits. But I doubt you’ll find a better rolling, durable tire to do century after century on.

1 Like

Just installed the 30mm’s on my Allez sprint disc. These are the best pictures I could get. They fit with lots of room to spare (maybe a little less than 1cm or so on each side). Depending on the tread you could definitely fit 32s or maybe lightly treaded 30s like a g one speed.

Just FYI, you can extend the rear fender to go further down the seat tube, might as well get it as long as possible (mine is fastned behind the bottle cage).

I didn’t check rolling resistance, but bought them because I’ve heard great things about their puncture resistance. But damn I felt it during yesterdays group ride. It’s fine by yourself etc, but you’ll feel it when you ride with anyone else.

Awesome! Thanks for the update. These bad boys are definitely getting slapped on now.

1 Like

They were a bit of a pain to install but I did it without a compressor. Probably would have been a cinch with the proper tools.

Currently running Schwalbe 30mm G-One Speeds on the true winter bike but also have Hutchinson Fusion 5 11Storm on 2 others - 28’s and 25’s. Been impressed with both.

Wanted to bump this thread to see what you guys are planning on running for 2020 winter. Any updates to winter tubeless recommendations?

I’m looking for something in the 30mm range, hopefully easy to install (will be my first time setting up tubeless). No crazy tread needed, just whatever can handle NYC roads and maybe some very light gravel.

After 2000 miles I’ve been impressed by puncture resistance, road feel, and cornering of Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR. I ride some pretty poor roads, never had a tubeless tire make it to 2000 miles without a problem, until the Cinturato Velo. Great trainer tire, ordered second set in 26c last week. Looking at Cinturato™ Velo | Pirelli Cycling they come in 26c, 28, 32, and 35.