Whiskey does not make you faster

Haughcross?

If so, I took the haircut shortcut twice!

Mike

1 Like

Can we get an official TR training plan, with a progressive weekly WSS (Whisky Stress Score)?

4 Likes

With a podcast on fueling, which whiskey to use for each kind of workout.

I never want this thread to end…

1 Like

I am proof that whiskey does make you faster… what’s silly is that after a couple of late night parties where we broke open my whiskey collection I’ve gotten some of my fastest training paces on the long run the next day.

Oh, and since I’ve been trying to get leaner/reduce calories whiskey is a better option than beer. I’ll only drink a few beers a week. My wife likes scotch too, so we’ll drink a dram during our TV time after putting down our daughter.

“Whiskey is a better option than beer”…all I needed to hear.

yup, but we get a decent amount. Mostly though from the diageo brands, so getting a dalwhinnie 15 is pretty easy and relatively inexpensive. Crazy thing is that even though the pound sterling has been taking a killing the last few years, the price for scotch in the US has been steadily going up. The Dalmore 15 is now $125 when it used to be about $90 for a 750ml.

My wife and I stayed in Inverness 2 years ago, but with a 2 year old, we didn’t get to do much whiskey… We stopped by Talisker since we visited the fairy pools on Skye and that was it. She likes slightly peated whiskeys now as a result. The talisker distiller’s edition is pretty good.

1 Like

Ha! I’m in Inverness!! Lot’s of good distilleries around here. I’m more a Speyside man myself. I like the more fruity stuff rather than the peated.

Having said all that, Japan produces some superb whisky!

2 Likes

Saying that, I got my second best 1 hour power doing a TT fuelled by burger king and JD. Had some questionable burps when I was on the limit, but it all stayed down :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The problems is you gotta drink right before the workout.
Whiskey help with RPE and you’ll become much more ambitious with your workout too. It’s best to couple it with 120% Vo2 max intervals… Make sure you have a bucket next to you incase you go 125% :wink: ha ha ha

1 Like

Yeah, our air bnb looks like it was close to some of the rides you’ve posted. Just outside of town near culloden.

I prefer speyside myself but have been enjoying some of the islay malts that have a bit of finishing in port/sherry casks.

I can highly recommend the Nikka Pure Malt Black and the Nikka Straight From The Barrel if you haven’t tried those, great Japanese whiskeys.

Every now and then my friends and I get together and do a whiskey night.
Everybody brings two or three bottles from their collection and we buy one or two more expensive bottles together as a group.
I won’t lie, it’s not a tasting, it’s just drinking. Combined with a lot of snacks and usually bad action movies or like a Fifa tournament on the PS4.

A relative of mine would regularly add coke to his very expensive spirits.

Surely bourbon (or even rye) would be a better option. More residual sugars for better carb loading? Will experiment and get back to you…

Have a good weekend! It’s started for me with an Old Pultney🙈

1 Like

Yup, Haugh+Cross! Seems like a distant memory now!

I’ve not raced since then and having managed to catch a cold this week I’ll be lucky to get to the Scottish Champs to be unceremoniously lapped…

2 Likes

Maybe I need some whisky (for medicinal purposes).

2 Likes

Not Whiskey related, but beer.

At 22 I got away with this. Not a chance now :grin:

2 Likes

Last nights Scotch that is purported to “Take out the fire but leave in the warmth.”

I imbided a little too much but I still set 12 PR’s on the next mornings depleted state ride. I’m giving the credit to the Scotch whiskey (obviously), TR sweet spot base workout (which I’m set to wrap up in 2 weeks), and a decent tail wind :smile: :wind_face:

4 Likes