Wheat dependent exercise induced anaphylaxis

Just got diagnosed with this - it is exactly what it sounds like. If I eat wheat within 6 hours of exercising, I get symptoms of anaphylaxis (itchy skin/mouth/throat, runny nose, low blood pressure, dizziness, breathing issues).

Obviously, not eating wheat is the best solution and my current plan. However, I am a lover of pasta, pastries, beer, bread, and pretty much anything else that has wheat. So, I am wondering if anyone else here has been diagnosed with this and if so, has been able to eat wheat on off days, rest weeks, etc. without too much issue?

I have celiac and just don’t eat wheat. Overall not a hard thing to do. If I was in your position I would only eat wheat after work outs and stick to non wheat items till after workout is complete

2 Likes

I have Celiac which is different than your situation, but just know that wheat is in everything! Be very careful eating at restaurants and other peoples homes, avoid most thickeners and sauces (soy sauce trips a lot of people), and just because it was safe to eat previously doesn’t mean it’s still safe.

1 Like

It is easier to just bring your food then to count on a place to eat.

2 Likes

There are pastas made of chickpeas which are a very suitable replacement for wheat pastas.

1 Like