What's My FTP? - Xert / is it only Normalized Power?

I have installed the data field for ages, but i mostly don’t use it.
During my last training sessions I noticed that this data field always matches with my NP of Trainerroad Session.

Can it be that Xert only shows the NP?

Which Xert data fields have you installed? MPA? TP? LTP?

only the free version:

After playing around with the idea of ​​using Xert with a full subscription, but since you need 2 accounts for cycling and running, I discarded it again

Ahhh, I see. Xert needs a lot of data to get your threshold power calculated, and the more you give it, the more accurate it becomes. You need some high intensity efforts to exhaustion for it to work properly, and if you’re just using it along side TR sessions you won’t get an accurate picture at all of what it’s calculating.

Also Xert doesn’t use FTP. They talk about threshold power (TP) and lower threshold power (LTP), which are slightly different from the usual understanding of FTP as calculated from a test. I don’t think the free month and using the data field alongside TR workouts will give a clear picture of how good Xert actually is.

I’ve given up on TR simply because for me, Xert gave much more usable, real life, values that were so incredibly accurate. It predicts my 4 min power to within 0.1w/kg and Threshold power to withing 4W.

2 Likes

thanks alot, good to know!

Resurecting this old thread to ask – anyone using the Xert “What’s my FTP” Garmin data field to set their TR FTP vs using a ramp/Moore/8mn/20 min test? Haven’t read much about that data field lately. And to be clear, not asking about an Xert account and all that’s associated with that, just the Garmin IQ piece.

To answer the original question: no. Nothing to do with NP. It runs a modified, single-pass algorithm (i.e real-time) to obtain just your FTP using a heuristic. Should work well-enough for TR users to use in place of formal testing if you follow the protocol in using it, i.e. be sure to do a few all-out short sprints before working the number higher on first use.

I feel like I recently saw somewhere that Xert/Armando said not to use “What’s my FTP” any more. Is that wrong?

@Pbase, I think we have the definitive answer from @baronbiosys above since they are Xert/Armondo. At some point I should probably use FM FTP while doing one of the FTP test protocols to see how they compare.

And @baronbiosys, thanks for following the forum and your response. I did some Google-fu and found your specific instructions here. Thanks!

Thanks, but I’d still like to hear their response. I’m almost positive I saw it.