What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

Swim practice.
Bunch of drills. (catch ups, single arm, fingers drags), 8 25s sprints…
Then a run wo 40 minutes total with 18x 30 on (mid 5’s most of them), 30 off (mid 8’ most of them).

Tomorrow will be a huge pain… McAdie and 50 min run…
I am not looking fwd to this!

8 Likes

Palisade. https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/84363732-palisade I probably could have lifted my FTP by 1-2% without problem or done another couple of sets. Last time I did it (December) my notes indicate I was flagging by the last set.

10 Likes

Hunter Allen Hybrid Ramp Test, ya’ll! Like every ramp test I’ve done, ever, 5 minutes after it was done I was sure I could have gone another 30 seconds.

21 Likes

:rofl:

Weight lifting on Monday:

5x7-min tempo on Tuesday:

felt hotter than it was

13 Likes

Is this a custom wo or on the TR lib?

Looks very painful.

1 Like

It’s a custom workout based on guidance from a mentor & listening to Hunter Allen talk about FTP testing. I put the workout in the Hour of Power FTP Challenge team workout repository.

Some discussion about the idea and why I use that ramp test:

3 Likes

Yesterday I did Mills after the kids were in bed. Went well, not much of a challenge, bumped it up to 103% for the last set, probably should have gone higher. Looking forward to the harder VO2 workouts.

Today’s schedule had Pettit on it, with 39 TSS and 0.63 IF. Often have a hard time sticking to this one. Did 139 TSS with 0.81 IF instead. “Good job, dummy, that’s not even close.” :man_facepalming: The second stretch of 23min did get me spot #2 on a 16.8km TT segment at least (the first five minutes I told myself I’d stick to 230-240, then I caved). Sometimes you just have to ride and have fun. Schedule tomorrow is Darwin.

15 Likes

Bashful +6

First set stuck to around 105rpm for intervals… last two sets stuck to 100rpm. All doable, some burn towards end of last ones but nice to do a workout where I’m not in a mental battle of dangling carrots at myself.
Finished with a nice spin out at the end, hit level 47 on Zwift, all good.

23 Likes

As the story goes:

You will be pleased, till you do your next Vo2Max OR Sweet Spot wo!

7 Likes

1H15 Threshold TiZ28, 2 sets of 2x 7 minutes ~ 98%

^ That was yesterday

Today
20 minute Foundation Run and.
1H30 Sweet-Spot TiZ40, 4x 10 minutes ~92%

13 Likes

First day at the new FTP after a nearly 20% bump. Chose this work out randomly thinking it would be one of the easier sweet spot workouts… boy was I wrong. Thought of bailing midway through the first interval. Stuck with it as long as I could. Had to bump it down 20% on the last interval just to make it through.

I think I need to ease into this new FTP a bit. :cold_sweat:

Also, usually my distance on these hour long sweet spot workouts are 15+ miles on Strava. This one ended up only being 12 miles despite being the highest avg power I’ve ever put out. Why would that be?

16 Likes

Weight lifting. On Friday it’s time to record with chest strap and compare to the Apple Watch. I suspect the wrist tension from holding weights is causing the AW to record low. Just curious, not using HR for any load metrics.

7 Likes

Budawang +3:

BAM. I felt terrible going into this, woke up early and hot, felt tired and sore and fat, warmup was miserable, but I did the first interval and it was ok, and then did the second and it was also fine, and then was feeling pretty snazzy by the third and literally dancing to my playlist by the fourth. (Incidentally, this is why listen to your body is very difficult advice for me to grok :laughing:) Felt great to crush this after struggle-busing on Tuesday.

:rofl:

“Distance” in a TrainerRoad workout is “how many times did your rear wheel complete one revolution”. If you do your workouts in Erg mode, that’s a function of time, cadence, and gearing, and nothing else. High cadence/ hard gear means more revolutions; low cadence/easy gear means fewer revolutions. Power is not part of the equation. (But search the forums a bit for your question, I remember seeing better explanations elsewhere :sweat_smile:)

16 Likes

After the hellish Joe Devel workout the other day, Baird +2 was a pleasure -well, kind of… My natural cadence is so slow :rofl: I’ve been trying to work on this a bit but I think I may do it to keep my breathing in control. It’s also partially an artifact from single speed mtb for many years -I’m just used to grinding.

16 Likes

I really hate over-unders. Going straight from an endurance block into 10 minutes of OU was a really stupid idea for today and I paid for it big time. Thought this would be easier than the scheduled workout I had, wanted to ease off a bit. Definitely underestimated this one.

Threshold segments actually felt really good but those 2 minutes at 110% totally wrecked me. First endurance block felt flat so I knew I was in for a rough go. Second endurance block surprisingly felt amazing though (even though my son decided 3 seconds left in the final over was a fantastic time to stick something in my rear wheel). Time for some much needed rest.

14 Likes

53 more zone 2 miles @20.5 mph…cool, breezy this morning at 7am - but beats the heavy thundery showers predicted for this afternoon.

3 Likes

Oh boy… what a long day…

First McAddie…
I though it was going to be impossible. It was very hard, but didnt had to backspin…so thats good…

Then a 50 min run!

HR was drifting in the wrong direction the last 2 miles… ugh…damn heat

15 Likes

Mist +3 for me (3:30 @ 118/115/112). I had the day off work and decided to do a load of chores and then eat camembert for lunch. Obviously a series of bad ideas on top of a fairly intense mini-block I’m doing…

I just scraped through the workout, but that camembert was so delicious…

13 Likes

Donner today - completed it on target but it did feel a lot harder than I thought it would

5 Likes

Schedule for today was Darwin, 4x10min@95-99% with 3min breaks. Yesterday was a harder ride than planned, so I wasn’t sure how this would go. It was supposed to be rainy today, so I had planned on hopping on the trainer, but then the weather did improve, so I went outside for a quick hour before dinner. Got underway, did the first 10min, and noticed my HR strap wasn’t working. Faffed with that for a bit (hence the first break being longer) and gave up on that. Did the second one (small dip and spike is where I turned around). I was feeling good, so I decided to just power through the third rest, and combine #3 and 4 into one go (was good enough for a KOM, yay!). Felt good at the end, like I could do the whole thing again. Mary Austin-1 coming up on Saturday, rest day tomorrow (might squeeze in an easy MTB ride). I’m wondering whether it’s ok to post up every workout, or does everyone post up the occasional workout?

8 Likes