What to expect coming back from illness

Unfortunately, I just had a two week training break for a vacation, then got a nasty cold (probably the flu) from the plane flight back, which I’m still recovering from 7 days later. It sucks so bad, cause I was well into some great training, now I feel like everyday that goes past is a huge loss until I get over this stupid virus :angry:.

Once I feel well, I plan on constructing a ‘warm up’ week, followed by a ramp test, then restarting an entire new training block. Anyone have insight on what I can expect after a 3-4 week setback like this? I assume my FTP will have dropped, but by how much? How quickly can I expect a return to where I was? Im afraid all my hard work prior to this was in vain. Am I doomed?

1 Like

My advice would be to rest until your FULLY recovered from the illness, re-test and then go straight into new training block. A warmup week would be counterproductive as you’ve built up all this freshness from not training so might as well use that to good effect

1 Like

We have a mathemetical deconditioning calculator, shoot me an email if you want me to run your numbers.

1 Like

My rule is it’s equal time to get it back. You work hard to make gains. Which you can get back it may take the same time that you lost. Believe in the process and work out a plan and stick to it. Because your body has been there before you will be able to come back.
1st week you won’t lose much if anything. It’s mostly V02 you lose after the 1st week.

1 Like