What is the worst cycling food you’ve ever tasted?

Just about any gel they add caffeine to. Maurten gels: awesome. Maurten with caffeine: death. SiS Isotonic gels: great. SiS Isotonic + caffeine: vomiting on the start line. Something about the caffeine added just tastes like chemicals and I can’t do it.

1 Like

SiS turbo drink mix. It had menthol in it for some reason. Tasted like how vix vapor rub smells. Made a bottle for the trainer, got on the bike, took a swig, got off the bike, and pitched the whole container. Soooo nasty.

2 Likes

Maurtens gel. Tastes like nothing, has the consistency of a jellyfish. Threw up at 25 mph

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

One day I wanted to try Aptonia vegan apple recovery drink.

They somehow managed to make a drink feel dry.
I hated it :slightly_smiling_face:

SIS “Turbo+” gel in Cool Citrus Menthol tastes like something you shouldn’t put in your mouth.

4 Likes

I loved peanut butter and I could also use it in my classroom for tacking up posters

I knew SiS Turbo had to show up in this thread! I was dubious of the claimed benefits for indoor training, and I only bought it because it was on clearance (which makes sense in hindsight). I would describe the taste as mentholated bile, and that was at 1/3 the recommended amount…I really can’t imagine anyone getting it down full strength.
I complained to SiS customer service hoping for a refund, but got “SiS Turbo is one of our most popular products” in reply.

I

2 Likes

the SIS citrus + caffeine is terrible, but the berry caffeine flavor is not bad actually.

1 Like

Vivit Sport gel (berry), tasted like ibuprofen

1 Like

Hammer HEED Sports drink… any flavor

1 Like

Clif brand Raspberry gels

Its funny, I quite like the SIS gels in the winter when theyre cold. Cant do it after its been in a jersey pocket for 2 hours with my sweaty back on one side and the hot sun on the other.

I got a sample pack of some drink mix from Floyd’s of Leadville at a race this year, I mixed it up for a short endurance spin on the trainer. Took a sip and about barfed. it was literally the most rancid thing I’ve tasted.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the Ginger MapleAid from Untapped?

Why in the name of all that is good and holy do you make a drink mix for endurance sports that is spicy? Thank god I tried it off the bike first….just awful.

Can’t imagine being hit and thirst and having to drink that stuff.

3 Likes

Not really food: Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) pre-workout. This is like drinking sea water. Never ever again.

1 Like

The Blueberry version is not much better. I have the theory, that because it tastes so foul you tend to forget how hard the workout is and thus your RPE decreases :wink:

Larabar

I started racing in the early/mid 2000s and I don’t think anything tasted good back then, but I have vivid memories of trying to navigate a muddy downhill at the Snowshoe NORBA race while gagging on a plain GU gel. Somehow the lack of flavor made the overly thick texture even more disgusting.

Fortunately they’ve stepped it up a bunch- I’d eat the chocolate coconut one for dessert to be honest.

I like Larabars, but I would never eat one on the bike.

3 Likes