What am I doing wrong? Ramp test attempt(s)

Also, there is nothing in that graph that makes me think you are not in Erg mode. You still get jagged lines in Erg mode.

If you feel the trainer change resistance, then you are.

2 Likes

Welcome to TR.
Two things. (Excuse me if Iā€™ve misread your OP):

1. Spinning faster at the end of the ramp test is not unusual (when in Erg mode). Your muscles are simply passing the load onto your aerobic engine.
    Your heart and lungs are there to pick up the slack as your leg muscles start to fatigue.
    A faster cadence will reduce the muscular load (on your legs) and increase the load on your heart and lungs.
    Thatā€™s the reason the ramp test is drawn out. You (hopefully) burn all of your matches along the way and end up measuring your aerobic engine within 20-30 minutes.
    YMMV.
    The ramp test results are not perfect in all cases and you should adjust as recommended by the TR support staff/TR members.

2. Your trainer may give you an easier time depending on the gear selection.
    This is not to say you arenā€™t putting out the power as recorded.
    Changing gears on the trainer in ERG mode will give you a very different training stimulus as it will require different muscle recruitment. Similar to changing cadence, a shift in gearing can change the difficulty of a workout.

Like everything in life, take it as it comes.
If youā€™re struggling with workouts after a ramp test, you need to adjust things.
(Donā€™t be shy as most of the long term members donā€™t care about your current FTP).

2 Likes

That one looks right to me. The line will not be perfect as you wonā€™t be producing perfect power all of the time.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Having the powermatch set to auto seems to have been the thing that was missingā€¦ along with my incorrect assumption that the power generated would be nice and smooth (when it is not).

Cheers.

Thanks very muchā€¦ just didnā€™t know that my power would be all over the place !!

Best regards.