Weight loss accountability buddy or thread discussion

Aaargh. up a bit - oh well it was the festive period. A week or so it’ll start to come off especially as i’m starting SSB over again after ramp tomorrow.
Be interesting to see how this all pans out…

Take care everyone and be kind. And my last post didn’t work after all… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have finished the ssb high volume 1 and improved my ftp. And now i am in the fourth week of ssb high volume 2 and doing weight training twice a week. I am trying to loose weight also. But for weeks i cannot loose any weight. I look much more better (seems like i lost 4-5 kgs but the weight is still same). I guess i lost fat and gainned muscle but i still want to loose weight for improving my climbing (79-80kg with 1.88 cm height). So do you have any suggestions or advice?

2 Likes

Motivation is super high for 2021. just got on the scale and coming in at 205, so happy about this. Last year I was 212 at the same time.

3 Likes

Muscle weighs more than fat for the same volume so depending what muscle gains you’re making they could cancel each other out but body composition will change.
Weight is just a number but if you still have fat to loose you should be able to, but have you? At your height and weight that gives you a BMI of around 22 which is not considered as overweight, purely of course based on that.

1 Like

From my own experience - weight loss isn’t linear. It can stall for a weeks. It’s more between loosing weight and loosing size. It works hand in hand. So stick to your routine - results will follow.

3 Likes

I will try to add 30-35 mins 45% ftp reco rides three times a week. (I burn 300 caloris in those ride). Maybe those extra day2 rides can help to loose some more fat.

1 Like

I have personally found these not to be all that useful for creating a calorie deficit - if I do them later in the day I seem to be MUCH hungrier after dinner and will easily eat back that calorie deficit I made, but ymmv. Just wanted to mention my experience so you could be on the lookout for the same effect.

2 Likes

Put on 1.6kg ~3.5 lb.

Can’t see it getting any better before next Monday as there is too much tempting stuff still around. I estimate I be back where I was by about the 10th of January, I normally are.

1 Like

I have been doing 35 mins 45% ftp for 3 days (which i burn 300 cals) and at the same time i am following sweetspot base 2 high volume. Also trying to make calori deficit.

So for 3 days it feels like i am loosing some weight but the sweetspot intervals feel much more difficult. Yesterday i did 5x15’ 90% and today i did 4x15’ 90%. I could finish these workouts but it was tough than it was.

3 Likes

Happy to be back in the green and lightest start to a year I’ve had for ages. :slight_smile:

Pretty pleased with this - keep at it guys.

Cheers.

1 Like

You still still fuel the SS workouts or look at cooling - if you do it early and ate well the day before you should have enough glycogen on board to do anything up to an hour - beyond that you may well need to fuel and doing that much work would seem so. Also look at cooling.

Rather than do those spins to burn 300 calories see what the SS intervals are like without doing that and maybe reducing the calorific deficiency.

Also what height and weight are you and do you need to loose weight? Listen to the last podcast there was an interesting segment on there about fuelling.

1 Like

Thanks,
I am 79 kg with 1.88 cm height. My weight is normal but in my country the races are hilly (the front groups will fly on the hills, so thats why i want to be 74-75kgs).

2 Likes

That puts you just over 21 in the BMI scale so very “lean” compared to many in this thread.

I’d listen to the podcast section and look up the info on instagram - they were looking at this from buying upgrades and comparing it to a baseline of cycling up Alpe d’Huez. It was 1:05:46 at 250w and 72.5 kgs. Increasing this by 10w saved 2 minutes and 19 seconds. Taking a 2lb lighter bike saved 39 seconds.

So if everything was linear and my rudimentary maths is correct you’d have to loose over 7lbs to equate to that 10W increase in power assuming your power stayed the same and assuming that bike plus rider weight total had no other effect. Based on 39 seconds being 2lbs so 19.5 seconds is 1lb and 2mins 19 seconds is 139 seconds. 19.5 goes into 139 just over 7 times.

around 1hr 45 mins onwards.

2 Likes

Well, knew I was going to be in the red after the Kerstperiode. Too much eating/drinking even though I stuck to my training plan. Happy New Year everyone.

1 Like

I am not able to ride, so I cant get rack up huge calorie deficits. Way harder to control weight with diet. Its way easier to knock out 5 2000 cal workouts in one week, vs calorie restriction and weights.

1 Like

I’m back after a hiatus, maybe this go around I can actually make progress. I’m going to count calories for two weeks and see what happens.

1 Like

I actually didn’t count calories last week and got a good result. I think the weeks of counting calories every day the few months before has helped me gef a better view on portion size and calorie densities. Hope this isn’t famous last words time as another national lockdown gets announced here in the UK.
Welcome to 2021 :grin:

1 Like

Anyone have a tips on how to eat on the rest week?
I tends to eat a lot, i mean a lot, on the rest week (averaging about +800 from my daily calorie budget) comparing to the normal week. Tried to eat a lot of veggies buy it seems did’nt work.

A big is the deficit you’re trying to achieve?
I try not to “diet” too much on recovery week, as fueling my body will make me faster, which is the point in the long term.

Other than that, I’d say, usual tricks: lots of veg, eating little and often, drinking plenty of water.
All those should help you feel more satiated.
Smaller plates do help, too. And obv, any “empty” calories you can cut those weeks should go first (yeah, I’m looking at you, booze… :smiley: )

2 Likes

As for myself:
I had given me a 1.5kg flab-budget, so that I could enjoy the festivities and not make everyone around me feel guilty.
I stuck to my training plan 100%, hit some pretty big numbers hours-wise, and I end up actually at -0.3 compared to the 21st of Jan.
So absolutely over the moon. I let things go on festive days, but tried to strike a balance on the other days, and it worked.

I was debating dry January, which is always a challenge for me, since it’s my birthday month (EOM though) but we had skiing holidays planned.
Thankfully (!) Covid means Austria doesn’t want us, so no booze for 4 weeks.
I’m convinced this is the key to me reaching sub 80kg.
Considering where I was early 2020, this is ace!

2 Likes