Weight Lifting Tracking in TrainerRoad

I’m adding weight training to my winter base training this year. What is the best way to track this along with my TR workouts? Should I just add these as “other” workouts on the days that I do those workouts? And then record sets in the notes section of that day? Any suggestions to what people do would be great. TIA

I do what you suggested. I’ve added them as “other” in the calender, but I’m doing the same lifts on Thursday and Sunday and my sets/reps stay the same so I’m not sure I see the point in recording it as it’s just routine now.

1 Like

I use TrainingPeaks to log all of my workouts, including weight lifting. I think you need a paid account to be able to schedule into the future, but the free account should be able to log details.

2 Likes

@rkoswald are you able to log sets in TrainingPeaks?

I log in Strong app and export as text, then add as comment. Just log duration, no HR or TSS.

Super basic example of an export:

Stretch
Monday, August 10, 2020 at 4:54 PM

Band Pull Apart
Set 1: 45 lb × 10
Set 2: 45 lb × 10

Hip Hinge
Set 1: 10 reps
Set 2: 10 reps

@mikesweber1, you can log sets as laps with whatever device you’re using to record your workout. Below are two screen captures of a weight lifting session I did earlier in the week.

This is the summary screen. I’ve manually entered the exercises and weights in the notes field, and for this workout every four exercises are a set (i.e. 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc). I hit the Lap button on my watch between sets

This screen contains the details and shows heart rate and the laps (i.e. sets). There are more metrics below this but hopefully you get the idea.

1 Like

Super helpful. I think I’ll mess around with TrainingPeaks then. Thanks for the screenshots too!

An app like Strong is so much better than manually logging. Setup a routine and then it guides you thru the routine and you can update sets/reps/weight if you make changes on the fly. I can even use my Apple Watch. When finished you can “share” to export as text file and paste into notes:

You don’t want weight lifting contributing to cycling CTL / TSB. Coach Joe Friel has some articles “weight lifting and PMC” about it.

I’ll experiment with Strong. TrainingPeaks lets you make separate PMC charts for different sports, so you can see cycling separate from everything else, for example.