W/kg Myths, Specialty Training, Ultra-Endurance, and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 364

Hi all,

I’ll listened to this a couple of weeks back (I’m a little behind on podcasts, but catching up :wink: ), and have a question about how Plan Builder is optimised for Sprint Triathlons.

I’ve asked similar questions about how best to prepare for a Sprint Tri in the past [1] & [2] and also submitted a similar question earlier this year which sadly didn’t get answered on the podcast.

I built a training plan back in January for 28 weeks before my main (and only at the time) event - ETU AG Sprint Champs. Plan builder gave me Base - Build - Specialty - Build - Specialty - which totals 12 weeks of Base/Build and 16 weeks of Specialty. In particular the last 20 weeks have been predominantly Specialty.

This would seem to be contrary to the advice/details given in this episode, and going by that advice it would suggest that more build over the extra specialty would be more beneficial?

How is plan builder optimised for Sprint Triathlons, or would I be better next season building a training programme myself (as I have before) and leaving the Base/Build/Specialty Sprint Tri plan until the latter stages?

Love TR, product, people, ethos, support - it rocks!

Cheers
James

[1] Sprint Triathlon - Plan choice
[2] Sprint Triathlete - which plan next - #7 by Jdr0berts