Ideal (or normal) Body Mass Index

Today i have made Ramp test on MTB
FTP -274
My height 194cm weight 109kg and i am going to loose weight and get fitter and plan some aims and races.
And what will be ideal or normal Body Mass Index for MTB rider or road cycle racer?

What BMI do You have?

I wouldn’t get too caught up with BMI, better to focus on body composition and try to get leaner and strong.

At your height BMI isn’t going to be a great indicator for condition. A tall person will register a much higher BMI than a shorter person with a similar body composition.

I’m in a similar position, I’m at 24.9 (90kg at 190cm). So I barely scrape into the healthy range, though I’m at about 12% body fat per my scales (I’m prob a bit higher than that in actuality). I swim as well though so prob a bit heavier in upper body than most cyclists.

I think that there are some recommendations for good scales on here than would allow you to check your body composition and focus on that.

2 Likes

i have Garmin Index. want tot believe them=)

1 Like

Haha yeah I keep telling myself that too. Fair play on the FTP btwđź‘Ť

1 Like

For athletes, BMI is pretty worthless. When Wiggins won the TdF his BMI would have had him diagnosed with and eating disorder, while Chris Hoy would have be defined as obese at his peak.

Don’t worry about BMI.

1 Like

I agree with ignoring BMI. I’d say at your height 85-90 kg would be a good goal.

2 Likes

Agreed! BMI…ignore it. Spend the money to get a scale that does body fat percentage. I’m 190cm and 93kg. I started around 98kg. After I cleaned up my diet, in the last few months alone I’ve swapped 6lbs of fat for muscle. That kinda data is super encouraging, and BMI will never be encouraging unless you drop a stupid amount of weight. Plus, being tall, it will always be working against you.

2 Likes

Rule of thumb is 105lb + 5lb per inch over 5 ft. So for you about 188lb so about 85-86 kg. I’d say this would be lean racing wt. not baseline weight, which would prob be 2-3 kg higher

2 Likes

BMI is a fairly blunt tool for looking at an individual’s weight as it doesn’t take into account body shape or composition. E.g. a fit, lean, muscular man could well be “overweight” on the BMI scale, but is going to be much healthier than somebody who is in the “healthy” range but does little or no exercise and therefore doesn’t have much muscle mass. It’s a much better tool for looking at overall population where body shapes and composition average out.

So focus on body composition not BMI, i.e. getting leaner. You can get a caliper test, buy some scales that estimate bodyfat, or just look in the mirror and be honest with yourself. Eat fairly clean and do the right training for the events you want to compete and your body is naturally going to gravitate towards the optimal shape for your racing. At the moment I’d guess you’ve quite a bit of fat to lose (either that or you’ve done a lot of lifting in the past and are going to shed some muscle as you get into cycling), so I don’t think you need to worry or think too much about your “ideal” weight, just focus on a “better” weight.

1 Like

That’s a 29 BMI. The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) has a BMI of 30 (190cm/107kg) with around 10% BF, so, do you look like The Rock? If no, I’m pretty sure you got some fat to lose.
I would say you could stand to lose at least 20kg.

1 Like

i have serious plans to loose but i need some aim of weight to understand where i am now. now i am not The Rock, but he is not an MTB rider=)