Venge frame snapped during sprint (not mine)

Hey all,
A friend of mine snapped his Venge frame in three places during a sprint at Wednesday Worlds. He’s a bigger rider (Nate size or bigger), but I still feel like this is a bit much. Anyone heard of this? Just curious of you think it was a one-off manufacturing defect or an issue with the Venge?

1 Like

Manufacturing defects can happen, but I’d also dig to learn more about the history of the bike. Specifically if it’s ever been crashed previously. Sometimes, damage can hide and progressively get worse even if it may look fine, until it gets enough force or use to hit an ultimate failure point.

5 Likes

Yeah, I will need to ask him next time I see him (which might be…who knows with no bike lol). I don’t remember him talking about crashing, but I can’t be certain. Never seen that type of break like that though. But to be fair, I’ve had my share of strange failures with bikes and Shimano (my crank arm for one).

Yeah, that kind of failure from just sprinting is very rare.

My gut reaction looking was that there had previously been some kind of impact to the frame.

Or it was a counterfeit frame if he bought it online.

3 Likes

Considering Justin Williams used to ride one of these and has an absolute monster sprint I’d think it was either previously damaged or a fake as mentioned above

5 Likes

Sprinting won’t do that, unless your friend is throwing down 2500+ watts (not happening)

Defect, damage, or a knockoff. Likely one of the first two and will require an expert to look at it. If insured, I wouldn’t touch it and get multiple expert opinions.

3 Likes

I just sent him a message to ask :slight_smile: Will let you all know.

1 Like

I don’t really see a latent mfg defect presenting in such a way, but I am not at all expert. Likely to be some sort of impact damage during use, prior to it rearing it’s head in this way.

1 Like