Useful and legal medicines, substances, and so-on

Let’s put together a list of things you can put in or on your body to enhance your riding experience, especially those that have been suggested in the podcast and forum. Additions would be appreciated.
I think that supplements and nutrition deserve their own list, however. Or at least their own category.

Medicines:
Atrovent (Ipratropium bromide) nasal spray - Prevention of exercise-induced rhinitis
Flonase (fluticasone) nasal spray - Prevention of exercise-induced rhinitis
Ventolin (Salbutamol) inhalers - Treatment of exercise-induced asthma
Singulair (mentelukast) Daily pill used to control asthma / allergies / exercise induced asthma
Afrin (oxymetazoline, nasal) Fast-acting but habit-forming nasal spray that quickly opens up stuffy nostrils
Phenylephrine nasal spray Similar to Afrin but doesn’t last as long

Chemicals:
Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine solution) - An powerful antiseptic useful for preventing saddle sores

Substances:
Olbas oil (a mixture of various aromatic oils) - Used to open up the nasal passages before hard efforts
Chamois cream (a lubricating and sometimes cooling and/or antimicrobial salve) - Reduce friction to prevent saddle sores
Embrocation (an irritating skin lotion) - Gives a sensation of warmth when racing in cold conditions

Devices and materials:
Nasal dilators (BreatheRite strips, nasal turbines, etc.) - Shown to reduce RPE by mechanically opening up the nasal passages
Transparent film dressings (Tegaderm, etc.) - Used to treat road rash without scabbing, therefore reducing scarring

1 Like

Supplements.

Caffeine 200mg
Beta Alanine 3 to 5g per day (Can have itchy skin sensation, reduce does)
Beetroot Juice 2 large glasses.
Hesperidin
Quercetin

The Beta Alanine and Beetroot Juice, are the 2 Michael Hutchinson says he would always take from his book Faster. And as for caffeine the Podcast says anything that was banned and is now legal.

I don’t think it was ever banned but there was a limit that they tested for and they since removed that limit. So you could always take it but you had to be careful not to take too much.

Beetroot juice for the win. I drink the beet shots before long endurance races but put actual beetroot in smooties…you don’t want to miss out on the fibre by just drinking the juice.

My pre workout I use has caffeine, beetroot, and beta alanine. Seems to work wonders.

Also, amp lotion.

Which pre-workout do you use? I’ve experimented with pre-workout and have always gotten super jittery so just stick to coffee or an SIS gel now.

Endurelite perform elite

If you’re going to list nutrition and supplements, please use the following format:

Generic name (Examples of brand names and/or an explanation of the content of the item): Purported benefits

e.g.

Carbohydrate gel (e.g. GU Gel, PowerBar Energy Gel): Replenish high amounts of carbs and calories with minimum bulk and weight

Whey protein (powdered byproduct of yogurt and cheese production): Easily assure sufficient protein intake without adding excessive calories

Caffeine: Shown to reduce RPE

Green tea extract: Shown to promotion the reduction of body fat

Singulair (mentelukast) Asthma / allerrgy / exercise induced asthma
Afrin (oxymetazoline, nasal) Opens up stuffy nose right quick
Phenylephrine nasal spray Similar to afrin but doesn’t last as long

All-clear on global dro. Afrin and phenylephrine are habit forming so you don’t want to use them on the regular, but once or twice a week for a season of racing is fine.

Interesting video on the effects of caffeine and the (lack) of effect from stacking performance enhancers like caffeine + beetjuice.

2 Likes

Isn’t “once or twice a week for a season” the definition of habit-forming / regular?

1 Like

Regular? Sure. Habit-forming? Not so much.

Started CBD a couple weeks ago, almost overnight sleep improvements. Could be placebo but my whoop seems to think my recovery is better

Anyone have any experience with Rhodalia Rosea? It’s listed as an ingredient in First Endurance’s “Optygen HP”

From a few journals, the evidence seems like it has potential benefits:

Increased time to exhaustion by 24s on average. Accordingly, Vo2 peak and vco2 peak were ~5% higher. After 4 weeks during phase II, blood lactate values before starting exercise were significantly lower. source

Average heart rate during the standardized warm-up was significantly lower for the R. rosea* treatment ( R. rosea = 136 ± 17 b·min−1; placebo = 140 ± 17 b·min−1; p = 0.001). Time to completion during the time trial was significantly lower for the R. rosea treatment ( R. rosea = 25.4 ± 2.7 minutes; placebo = 25.8 ± 3.0 minute; p = 0.037). source

Phase i: Compared with P (placeo), acute R intake in Phase I increased time to exhaustion from 16.8 +/- 0.7 min to 17.2 +/- 0.8 min. Accordingly, VO2peak and VCO2peak increased during R compared to P from 50.9 to 52.9 (VO2peak) and from 60.0 to 63.5 (VCO2peak). Pulmonary ventilation tended to increase more during R than during P (P: 115.9 +/- 7.7 L/min; R: 124.8 +/- 7.7 L/min). All other parameters remained unchanged.
Phase ii: Four-week R intake did not alter any of the variables measured.
Conclusion: Acute Rhodiola rosea intake can improve endurance exercise capacity in young healthy volunteers. This response was not altered by prior daily 4-week Rhodiola intake. source

A 3 mg/kg acute does of R. rosea resulted in a shorter time to completion of the 6 mile time trial course ( R. rosea 1544.7 ± 155.2 s, Placebo 1569.5 ± 179.4 s) as well as a lower average heart rate during the standardized warm up ( R. rosea 138.6 ± 13.3 bpm, Placebo 143.7 ± 12.4 bpm). There were no significant differences between treatment conditions for rating of perceived exertion during the time trial. Both treatments resulted in a significant increase in the POMS fatigue score following exercise, as well as a significant improvement following exercise for the Stroop’s test of incongruent words. No other significant differences between treatments were observed.
Conclusion
Acute Rhodiola rosea ingestion decreases the heart rate response to sub-maximal exercise, and appears to improve endurance exercise performance. source

2 Likes

Time to exhaustion versus…?

versus placebo in Phase 1

1 Like