Upload Run and Swim workouts from Garmin/Strava to TR calendar (Feature Request)

I dont disagree with you. I have never used it. So I dont know how helpful it was. I think Zwift was doing the same?
When TR started the entry price of a power meter was MUCH higher than it is now (they still expensive). Things in 2010 were VERY different than now (when it comes to power adoption). Now that mostly everyone has accept cycling power as the default training metric, it is what they use.

Cycling Power was the up and coming metric. Pros where using it and people with a lot of money could get a power meter. TR saw the writing on wall and did something.
I dont think there is a single app that can prescribe power running wos.

I dont call it Ironic, I call it a reflection of its time.

TR prescribe run as RPE (1-10). No paces or HR.

5krunner review’s pros/cons

Based on a quick skim of that article, and some DCRainmaker comments heard in passing, I’d have a Stryd if running was part of my game.

3 Likes

Not super convinced.
But again, if people are happy with the tool. Great for them. My opinion means absolutely nothing.
Its just an opinion based on what I see in the market and people.

Not many are using power.
There are only a handful power meters.
No pro are using power as a publicly use metric.
Maybe in a few years people will adopt it and I will be adopting too.

I am just not a first adopter on this. I like my current pace based wo.

1 Like

I was referring to running power meters.

There was a time when cycling power meters were niche and very few pros were using them. Now they have become mainstream and in some cases, standard on bikes. I am absolutely sure that in the future we will see that running power meters will become standard. It may take another decade but I’m sure they will. As technology advances and prices tumble, the doubters will be won over - as they were with cycling power meters.

My argument has been that TrainerRoad should future proof themselves and incorporate running power into their workout analysis.

Edit: maybe not mainstream (for run PMs) but much more widely adopted.

2 Likes

100% agreement here.
Running power is probably the future. Once all of it is standardized then we will probably see a higher adoptability.
People want to see Kipchoge train with power. They want to see pro triathletes do the same.
When cycling power started Pros were the first people to adopt (probably because of cost).
But they were actively developing and multiple companies were on it.
It took 10 years to go from a niche, experimental product to be used by teams. Then another 10 years for companies to sell to consumers. and another 10 years to be where we are.

Running power is new (ish). Its a 2015 release. its been 7 years and not used widely although is mostly affordable.

I am sure once the adoption rate is higher TR will do something. But for now I would be VERY VERY VERY happy if they just put run and swims on the calendars.

2 Likes

Have not read 3 years of posts. Vote++ for triathlon goodness.

I feel like the major difference between run PMs and bike PMs is the discrepancy between pace/speed and power. For MOST running use cases, the variability between pace and power is much smaller than bike speed and bike power. Because of that, something like Jack Daniel’s Vdot charts are enough. Know your E, M, T, I, and R paces and you’re good to go. Wind and terrain matter for running, but for most people, they’re not trying to do 400m or mile repeats on variable terrain. And in those cases where it’s SUPER windy or hilly, RPE and HR are generally enough to pull back your efforts. That being said, power would likely be better if you wanted to nail a threshold run and don’t have someplace reasonable flat to do it.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson
Please add Stryd power (or other pod) when running introduced.
You’ll get a dataset that will be amazing for future developments. Like you are with HR now for cycling, even though it wasn’t obvious why you would need it in the future.
Good to have you back on podcast as well.

8 Likes

@Nate_Pearson even if you don’t use the power data for plans/workouts/tss/pbs etc, just collect it in the background?

2 Likes

I posted the clips from Blummenfelt already. Here’s some Gustav Iden for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrzDoSwg198&t=471s

Another 1+ on this feature. I think it would be great idea. Helps those of us who are using Trainerroad triathlon plans. Eventually, hope TR would be able to send my running and swim parts of the triathlon plan to my garmin watch and it automatically syncs with TR when I do those workouts.

1 Like

i have a stryd and use it on every run.
There’s not much flatness where i live so i often pace with power. OTherwise, it’s there recording in the background.

This just feeds into the larger issue that TR needs to improve its sensor / FIT file compatibility. For example: if a power meter broadcasts left/right power, TR should capture that. Similarly TR should capture running power, even if it doesn’t do anything with it. And under no circumstances should it modify a FIT file that comes from another service

4 Likes

Part of the problem with certain metrics are compatibility.

I am not certain the data transmitted through Bluetooth is the same as the one transmitted via ant.

I know for certain power dynamics is only available if you connect an ant compatible device. Not sure if the l/r information is available on both protocols.

Yeap… only get phase power, dynamics etc with Ant+ connection, and run dynamics ground contact time etc with ant+ when using a garmin.

Stryd sends all its running dynamics over Bluetooth, and Garmin devices can “capture” it in the sense that it will record them to the FIT file but it won’t display them on the watch and Connect.

Runalyze for example will graph it all out if you want. As do GC and a bunch of other tools.

Interesting. How does the Garmin power pod works?

Does it have the same issue?

At least the HRM-Pro (which has Running Dynamics) specifically says ANT+ only: HRM-Pro Owners Manual - Running Dynamics

I think Garmin simply didn’t define/implement them over Bluetooth…which probably we don’t care about as it’s going to connect to a Garmin device anyhow?

It’s more of an issue with cycling workouts, where you drive the workout from TrainerRoad on the PC/Android/iPhone, using Bluetooth connections. If you’d have something like TrainerRoad driving a treadmill, it’d be different and getting the Running Dynamics could end up being an issue, same as cycling dynamics now in that scenario.

I think the problem that was referred to is that right now even if you’d use an ANT+ dongle, TrainerRoad won’t collect L/R or other cycling stats?

(I can see why that wouldn’t be a priority - the data isn’t very actionable, and I suspect the majority of people are connecting over Bluetooth)

1 Like

Like many people have said, it is just easier to dual record activities using ant+. I use my Garmin watch to record indoor rides and record Stryd data.

It is a real shame that all available data is not universally collected and published by all services.

1 Like