Upgrade to Enve 5.6’s?

Have a set of Flo 60’s on my roadie that I’ve overall been very happy with, but am thinking about selling them and picking up a set of Enve 5.6’s.

Most of my motivation is because I’ve got a gravel/cross bike as well and after going tubeless on it a while ago I’ve really been wanting that option on my roadie as well.

Any thoughts? Does the ability to go tubeless plus the increase in quality justify the price of the Enve’s vs. the Flo’s?

Thanks,

I don’t have any experience with Flo wheels, but I’m on Enve 3.4 SES disc now and I can tell you they are the finest carbon hoops I’ve ever had the pleasure of riding. I’m not even running tubeless right now, but they’re still the most comfortable road wheels I’ve ever had. They just have an amazingly high-quality feel to them—they’re probably my favorite part of any bike I’ve ever put them on.

1 Like

Marginal gains? At least the placebo effect should boost you a bit :wink:

Ha! Wouldn’t be the first time I spent a bunch of cash for a placebo effect on the bike!

2 Likes

One of us! One of us! One of us!

I’ve started this debate with myself now too. Very happy with my Flo wheels, which I run all tubeless (Flo being tubeless was one of the reasons I went with Flo). I’ve found the Flo rims to work very well with many tubeless tyres I have tried. They are:

• Schwalbe Pro One
  • Hutchinson Performance
  • Vittoria Corsa Speed 1.0
  • Maxxis Padrone
  • Pirelli Velo Cinturato
  • Continental GP5000

My attraction to ENVE wheels is the brake track and the aero gains. My aero field testing of Flo60 front vs Zipp 404 front showed a small, but measurable gain with the Zipp 404.

This quick post became a lot more verbose than planned :man_shrugging:

I have these exact ones and love them. One of the most notable advantages for me is in crosswinds. On my old Zipp 404’s, a heavy wind gust would literally knock me sideways. With the Enve’s, there is hardly anything like that. I think it is the fact that the front and back have different rim depths and widths.

My Schwalbe Pro Ones set up tubeless super easy! On the other hand, I just got some AR 3.4’s for gravel/all road, and I spent days trying to get some Donnelly’s on. Ultimately ended up taking them to the shop with my tail between my legs.

1 Like

The best quality of deeper Enve’s is their ability to handle crosswind. I have the 7.8 and feel confident using them in conditions I struggled with older 40’s and 50’s.

3 Likes