Universal Mac app for new M1 Apple Silicon

Super nerdy post but wondering if TR will be porting over desktop TR app to Universal Mac app for native support of the new M1 Apple Silicon?

Just did a work out on my new MacBook Pro and it’s consuming 3x less battery (even though it’s running using Rosetta 2 emulation) than my 2015 13" MBP. Speed on opening is significantly improved and it syncs much quicker.

2 Likes

#marginalgains :joy:

TR is neither CPU nor GPU intensive

1 Like

I’d beg to differ. Granted a 5 yr old battery has lost a bit of capacity, I’d disagree that TR isn’t computer intensive especially if you factor in group rides. It’s constantly pulling and pushing data through BT. I barely made it through an hr group ride on battery under those conditions.

2 Likes

A native version is IMHO table stakes if you want to be on the Mac.

I totally forgot about the group rides. That is definitely a different story, especially on an older MacBook. I too have a 13" 2015 MacBook Pro which could use a battery replacement.

That said, I have no doubt that TR will have a native M1 version in the near future.

If they are using the latest Xcode and SDK, it’s just a matter of compiling for the slice. Easy as pie.

I reckon they are using some cross-platform frameworks, so perhaps it is a bit more difficult than that. Especially if some of the libraries are only available in the form of binaries.

Which framework? IIRC, they use the Electron framework.(https://www.electronjs.org/blog/electron-11-0)

Highlight Features

Squirrel framework, Reactive Cocoa framework , and Mantle framework. All of which is built by Electron I believe as Squirrel hasn’t moved in years, Reactive Cocoa is moved to Reactive ObjC.

These are all open source frameworks, should be doable with little effort, and the Electron framework already has a distro so you don’t have to build your own.

iOS apps run on M1 as well, no emulation, as long as it’s available to the Mac App Store. There might be other dependencies. The IOS app is in Beta now, IIRC…or some app is in Beta. I didn’t sign up for it, but making it available for testing would be a good idea to play with. Might be a good idea to have a limited beta for the new Mac.

That was my alternative to run the iOS app on my Mac. Not sure why they just don’t carry that forward and get away from all this Electron stuff

Maybe ping Pete in this thread?