TT Position Mobility Exercises

Over the holidays I dusted off the triathlon bike for the first time in 18months with a bigger belly and less fitness. Being on the extensions doesn’t feel too bad overall but I’m keen to spend some time doing any mobility or flexibility exercises to make the position more comfortable and try to decrease any potential differential between power output in the two positions.

Has anyone used any traditional stretches or yoga type exercises to help with this? Cheers

I found the neck stretches to be particularly beneficial - no substitute for time in the position on bike though…

yep - once did a "hardriders 25mile TT on the TT bike in Feb after a winter of Turbo training on my road bike - went alright time wise but found it tough to keep my neck up in the last 5 miles - next race in March - no issues - so my legs were trained - my turtle neck muscles for viewing the road in position …were not! :laughing: In addition trunk mobility is important - wind screen wipers etc and of course - core core core - planks side planks etc! enjoy :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah spending time in position will be the biggest thing. I’m not necessarily looking to hack anything but rather do it better than before. Thanks for the link, I haven’t looked at this in a while.

1 Like

Agreed with @jdman about trunk mobility and core - my micro-goal for January has been to do 10 minutes of core work every day and I feel like it’s already making a difference.

3 Likes

Agreed - since integrating more core work into my schedule (15min per day), I’ve noticed an ability to hold the position with much greater ease.

2 Likes

yep - its amazing - I don’t even do that much - do the trunk mobility every morning before getting out of bed and at night before sleep - 10 each side takes 30s. Then alternate 4mins normal plank one day with 2x90s side plank (start on elbow - advance to straight arm) the next…that’s about 4mins a day average and I have had zero problems after having to stop triathlon in 2004 due to back issues - this regime solved it in about a month…who hasn’t got 5 mins/day for good back health? :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe my February goal will be to up it to 15! To get into the habit I’ve been using Katie Zaferes’ planks in pyjamas pandemic series - it takes the thinking out of it which often for me is the biggest barrier to starting.

2 Likes

I think any kind of routine is better than none!

2 Likes