Training hours and training plans

Hi everyone, I see some people get 20-30 hrs but even on a high volume plan the hours are only hovering around 12 or so, how do I get 20+ hrs? I have 1.5-2hrs to train in the mornings and in the evenings.

@emilesteenkamp I typically pick a mid-vol plan. That serves as the backbone of my ‘intensity’ workouts. So (for instance) a moderately hard workout Thursday and Saturday…sweetspot Sunday…and something VO2max-ish on Tuesday.

Then I add an hour of endurance on the Monday ‘off’ say…maybe with a few sprints in it…plus an hour endurance on Wednesday…plus an hour and a half morning endurance workout on Saturday and Sunday.

That works out to ~6 hours TR plan workouts plus ~5 hours of extra endurance riding. I would recommend doing something similar if your target is 20 hours of riding. In fact, start with a mid-vol plan and just fill in with endurance riding until you hit that 20 hour mark. Once you roll through a plan like that, then consider high-vol plus endurance to hit a 20 hour mark.

1 Like

ehm… 2x2x7=28 hours, so getting the hours is not the issue I guess… :wink:
If you are looking how to fill these hours… → Zone 1 rides, zone 1 rides and more zone 1 rides (and a bit intensity :slight_smile: )

Silly question: why do you want to train for 20+ hours? (does that include prep and showertime?)

Have you listened to the podcasts about training volumes? I recently listened to 234 and Alex’s and Chad’s comments on increasing volume…

…and why not use some of that time for strength or flexibility work? Just an idea…

There’s no 20 hour TR plan. People riding that much are doing more endurance volume - like a few 4-5 hour rides per week plus their rides with intensity.

2 Likes

I use a low volume plan, only do two of the 1 hour workouts a week, then fill the rest in on my own.

Firstly, a couple of questions to consider when you see people self-reporting 20-30 hour weeks;

• Are they full of sh!t? (Seriously, saying you train 20 hours a week is like the ‘I eat pretty healthy’ of the endurance world. Many people seem to genuinely think they do, the reality when laid out in front of them is often quite different.)

• On a similar note, how much of that is spent coasting, soft pedalling, or sitting in coffee shops?

• Is that 20 hours of cycling time, or including S&C work, running/swimming, yoga, etc?

• Is it done consistently enough to be considered meaningful in the context of a progression/season? (people like to share their biggest weeks!)

• Most importantly- is that comparable or relevant to your circumstances?

The short answer is that most people doing successful 20-30 hour weeks are likely not training indoors and probably with a lot less structure than a TR plan. However, when it comes to what will actually be productive and sustainable for your training history and goals, ‘some guys train x hours’ really doesn’t mean very much.

3 Likes