Are you doing Low, Mid or High Volume? [POLL]

Have you been doing a TR plan for six months or more? If so which one?
Vote in the poll below. :blush:

• Low Volume
  • Mid Volume
  • High Volume
  • Train Now
  • I Don’t subscribe to TR

0 voters

Low Vol Plus:

• I add Strength Training and/or Skills Riding on Wed.
  • I add long Endurance on Sun (2-4hrs).
18 Likes

I’m always between mid and low volume, had great results with both.

2 Likes

I am on Mid Volume Polarized because it’s only 2 hard workouts a week

2 Likes

Low volume. This is for my structured workouts (2-3 days per week). Ride outside for volume and occasionally long tempos and hill reps.

For whatever reason I have a really, really hard time doing endurance on the trainer. Luckily I live where year round riding is possible.

2 Likes

On TR plans I was average 5-7 hours/week, although I have done higher volume TR plans (SSB 1, Traditional Base). Last couple of years my target is 8-12 hours/week, but with various breaks last year was my highest volume year ever at 400 hours. That works out to just under 8 hours/week average for all of 2022.

Big picture if you look across the cycling world, 8-12 hours/week is intermediate volume.

4 Likes

Low volume here but I also do 2 strength sessions a week. I also work 12 hour days on a shift rotation so can’t really handle more than that at the moment.

3 Likes

You really need 2 polls:

• What TR Plan Volume are you following
  • How much training are you actually doing a week

I’m sure there are a bunch of folks doing TR Low Volume, but supplementing to actually hit “High Volume” weekly training volume

20 Likes

I’m actually on Time Crunch 30 but hit Low Vol.

1 Like

As Chad said. Low volume plus. Two intensity/ interval sessions with some strength, a few commutes and longer easier rides.

3 Likes

High, i need the TSS

1 Like

SSB Mid and today begins week 3

My original ramp test was right after a snowboarding and skiiing trip and my legs were toast so the FTP is about 6-7% low which is probably helping me adapt to structured training on the bike. As the weather warms up I’ll be doing a lot more riding outside but so far all of the workouts have been on the trainer with no technical difficulties.

1 Like

I fit in the category you speak of. I was more interested in what % of people did MV/HV. It’s fair to assume a lot of us doing LV supplement with unstructured rides.

2 Likes

Mid volume polarized - supplementing with additional endurance to get the TSS/time I desire

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat: LV TR plan, but overall HV. Would be interested to see what % are in this group vs. doing HV TR plan vs. people doing LV TR Plan @ LV overall volume

1 Like

High Volume Polarized Build. Generally stretching the Z2 rides by at least an extra 30 minutes, and at least one of them to 4+ hours. I’m lucky to have life circumstances that can support this load, and realize I’m in the minority.

2 Likes

I do LV which is 3.5 hours a week + an additional ~10 hours a week on the road, mostly unstructured but will try and incorporate a TR workout here or there. Avg TSS is ~850.

Max ride on trainer is 90 min. I lose my sh*t on anything over that. I find the weekly intensity to be about right. I’m sure it’s not the most productive method but I love riding the mountains for the sake of riding them and with the mild weather in SoCal it pretty much accommodates that all year around.

1 Like

Agreed. Perhaps a bit harder to quantify. I do LV + 10 hours = ~850tss. I think this is still significantly easier than doing HV plan. Both in terms of intensity and motivation. As Nate says; not all TSS is created equal.

Low Volume plus endurance rides to get me to 16 hours give or take.

1 Like

I completely agree that LV TR Plan + volume to hit / exceed the number of hours in a TR HV plan is very different workload. But I think it would be interesting / instructive to know who’s putting in “HV” hours, but structuring it different from a “HV” plan. Especially for folks new to structuring training who think “I have HV hours to ride / train, so I should be doing a HV plan”. Instead of “I have HV hours to train / ride, so I should do LV / MV plan and supplement that with other riding”

4 Likes