TrainerRoad Outside Workouts on Wahoo ELEMNT

Hi, dredging this up again. I mostly read the thread but just wanted to clarify if I can push an ‘indoor’ version of a workout to my Bolt and then use it to control my trainer. Some of the outdoor versions are longer (as expected) but want to ideally stick to what is on the plan.

Thanks

• No, that is not possible.
  • Depending on the given workout, one option is to just end it short, if it is longer than you want.
1 Like

Thanks, Chad

1 Like

What do you mean exactly? I dont fully understand your use case.

I think its to do rides like pettit (and other aerobic/recovery ones) outside as prescribed for indoor use. some rides when swapped to outside are significantly longer… presumably to make the adaptation comparable (in theory i guess). Ive been there but decided to just memorize the target wattage and ride to the range.
I think it would be lovely to use the bolt to drive erg mode as well on the trainer (for a more minimalist pain cave) but im not losing any sleep over it

A post was merged into an existing topic: Duration Different From Indoor to Outdoor Workout

Me again on this topic @IvyAudrain:smile: on my last two rides, Gibbs and Tunbabora -5 outside, on the workout page the workout profile/intervals were scrunched into 20% of the screen, with 80% being at 0 watts / blank. And as the workout progressed, the scrunched section moved from the left side to the right side…

And thanks for addressing my last comment re: outside workout length and aligning to the right thread.

1 Like

So @SeanHurley said he recently experienced this, he hadn’t done an outside workout in a few months, and first few workouts back his screen looked like this.
He advised to use the wahoo app to connect to your head unit, and move a data field to get it to do “something” then just move it back. So he kind of arbitrarily customized his display, without actually changing anything, and that fixed it!
Give that a shot and let us know if you still need a hand.

4 Likes

Interesting - I did two outside workouts this weekend and they’re the first for a while I think and haven’t had any problems. I know my Elemnt has had two software updates this month and the iOS app has also updated a couple of times so worth checking everything up to date there as well.
This page keeps details of device updates:

And shows one on 1st March and another on 18th March.

Just an update here, I did an Outside Workout yesterday and the strange screen was back. I’m going to submit a ticket with Wahoo today and will let you all know the outcome.

7 Likes

Here’s the response I got from Wahoo on this:

Thanks for reaching out. This is an issue that we are aware of and we currently have an open ticket in with our development team to get this fixed up. I do not have a specific ETA for resolution at this time but it is scheduled to be looked into in the next couple of weeks.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update!!!

i have had this issue on my bolt for about 10 months but always assumed it was a wahoo thing and not a TR thing

1 Like

It is a Wahoo thing, but for me at least, it’s a new thing. Hopefully they can sort it out soon.

1 Like

In the past, my experience of Wahoo fixing bugs like this has been great. The more people that raise it the higher up the priority list it goes. I’ve not had any issue but if I ride outside this weekend I’ll be sure to keep a look out for anything and report back to Wahoo.

2 Likes

I have also experienced this problem the last couple planned outdoor workouts. (I first saw this nearly two weeks ago.) I have been unable to snap a photo and submit to Wahoo support as of yet, but I’ll be sure to do it next time.

@SeanHurley thanks for submitting a ticket. Hopefully, it is acted on swiftly since it is coming from a TR employee.

I tried what Ivy mentioned and it worked like a charm for at least my last ride.

Thanks. Didn’t see that suggestion until just now. Do you have to do it every time you do an outdoor workout?

It worked for 1 ride for me, then went back to the strange screen.

2 Likes

I’ve done outside workouts both Sat and Sun and had no issues so seems to be quite intermittent - wonder if it is in some way device specific as I’d have no clue of issue if it wasn’t for this thread.

1 Like