TrainerRoad Outside Workouts Now Push to Garmin Edge šŸŽ‰

Sweet! Itā€™s Garmin, so only likely to work for half of us. But cool!

1 Like

Awesome! Just bought a Garmin Edge 530, guess power meter is next on the list :sweat_smile:

very pleased with new update!
I just have to make a request-suggestion. Please, include some more specific hilly training sessions that can be done outside, and if you can be more detailed in terms of suggested terain that an outside workout can be performed

1 Like

Nice one guys! Super jealous Wahoo user here, but enjoy Garmin folks. TR team got this rolled out fast, impressive!

1 Like

Yep works, just no seeing the graph but everything else as per the info and my previous experience creating manual workouts in garmin connect :slight_smile:

Garmin 520ā€¦ not seeing the ā€˜graphā€™ of the workout and not sure how I tell if the workout needs manual laps or automaticā€¦ is that the word ā€˜STEPā€™ to suggest i need to press the lap button to proceed ?

Just tested the sync and it looks great! Would be nice to have filter for outside workouts in workout library.

Question: Will it autoupdate the workouts already synced to Garmin if I change FTP in my TR profile?

Good job guys!

1 Like

Itā€™s coming to Wahoo too, in the fullness of time.

2 Likes

This is really exciting guys. I have been using the Outdoor Rides function throughout Beta and it really makes a difference to my training. Thanks.

One question: The information provided talks about pushing scheduled Outdoor sessions to the Garmin 2 days in advance, but how do I push an unplanned Outside session?

For example, the UK weather does not support all sessions outdoors, so the probable approach is to leave TR on Inside and select Outside IF the weather allows.

Will this then auto push or not as its less than 2 days?

Appreciate the hard work.

Lee

1 Like

Every TR workout will have an ā€œOutsideā€ option (some.maye be missing as they complete the setup for the 2000 workouts, but I think it may be done already), so you just need to find the original workout type and swap location.

This move has such incredible potential! Bravo Trainerroad!

I have a similar question to Lee actually (as I also experience similarly variable weather conditions living here in Ireland) At the moment Iā€™ve followed the instructions but I donā€™t ever use Garmin Connect (other than as an invisible conduit for taking my outdoor rides into Trainerroad.)
Soā€¦ Looking at my Garmin Connect Calendar, it seems to be completely empty! My rides are in visible in Activities but nothing in the Calendar. IS the normal?
And for now none of the workouts Iā€™ve assigned as OUTDOORS appear in the calendar either. Should I be waiting a day or two or something wrong with Garmin Connect?

Thanks a lot,
Jurgen

The workouts are synced to the calendar two days out.

Hi Jurgen

• did you re-authorize Garmin as in step 1?
  • did you enable Early Access as in step 2?

I only needed to do step 1, and then change a ride from inside to outside. Within seconds it was synced to Calendar on Garmin Connect.

Very cool. Iā€™m excited to give it a go, but itā€™s looking like Iā€™ll be indoors the next week or so.

My question is, if Iā€™m at a stoplight, does the workout pause if I have auto-pause on stop in my garmin?

1 Like

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know of a potential issue. I reauthorized Garmin (I kept only the Workouts toggle selected) and when I went back to Garmin connect it removed all the workouts I had in Garmin connect and replaced them with 6 different ones.

Additionally when I open my calendar I see A LOT of stuff, all of it (I think, maybe mine is hidden in there) is not mine.

Seems like maybe something didnā€™t go right. I can try reauthorizing, but I wanted to let you know what I saw.

1 Like

Unfortunately the visual graph of the workout will only show on 30 series Garmin Edge devices.

The ā€œStepā€ message outlines the prescribed power for the current step you are on.

The message ā€œRest until Lap keyā€ denotes when you will need to press the ā€œLapā€ button to proceed to the next step.

44%20AM

Yikes!

Our goal is to have as many workouts with outside equivalents as possible. At this time, all workouts that are part of a training plan should have an outside equivalent. We will continue to build outside workouts, but this will be more of a long running process.

With that being said, I could certainly see the benefit of being able to filter for workouts that have an outside equivalent. Iā€™ll bring this idea up with the rest of the team and see what we can do!

In regards to your question about FTP updates sending updated targets, by design yes. This is one bit of the API weā€™ve had spotty success with, however. I know Garmin is still working on shoring up the API, so Iā€™d expect this functionality to get better over time.

1 Like

Activities will start to push to Garmin 2 days before they are scheduled, meaning anything that is scheduled within 2 days will automatically be pushed up.

So for your specific use case it will work like this:

• You have a workout scheduled today.
  • You see the weather is nice, and decide to ride outside.
  • You go to your TrainerRoad calendar, and swap your planned workout to the outside version.
  • You save.
  • Within 30 seconds to a minute that activity should be available on Garmin Connect.

This same flow would apply if you didnā€™t have a planned workout for the day yet, but added on to your calendar on that same day.

3 Likes

The same with me, my CG has been messed, Hope you can fix that. Otherwise I was happily waiting for it :-).