TrainerRoad Outside Workouts Now Push to Garmin Edge šŸŽ‰

Hey Jurgen,

It looks like something may have gone wrong with the re-authorization process for you with Garmin Connect. Would you mind giving that a shot again? You can do this in your ride sync settings. Log In to TrainerRoad

(digging thru drawer and muttering) I know I have that tin foil somewhere in here :grinning:

1 Like

In testing this we had mixed results depending on the head unit you are using. For Edge 30 series head units we had to manually press pause to get the timer and workout to stop.

2 Likes

The same in the activity feed!!! Hope very much you will fix this soon!!!

:rofl:

1 Like

This is very strange. Since we donā€™t push any run workouts (completed or planned), Iā€™m not sure what is going on here. I have an engineer taking a look now, and will let you know what he finds.

@vonmoock when you say the activity feed is messed up as well, are you just seeing a bunch of activities that donā€™t belong to you? Also, did you only enable the Workouts API, or do you have the other permissions enabled as well?

Activity feed is like this:

Dont understand your 2nd question, because i dont know anyrthing about the API, i think i gave OK to Strava from CG and to Dropbox from TRRD)

Not sure if anyone did anything yet, but my normal workouts have returned and my calendar is clear. Thursdayā€™s scheduled workout wasnā€™t showing up in Garmin, but I copied it and then the new one showed up in Garmin Connect. Not sure if you need to re-add existing workouts in the calendar or if it was just a bug with my very next workout. Iā€™ll see if Saturdayā€™s ride shows up in the next day or two in Garmin.

It seems to be OK with the activities on CG mobile. This is a great relieve, as it lets me hope the problem can be fixed an i did not loose my diary :slight_smile:

@kjdemera @vonmoock Iā€™m happy to hear things are back to normal now. We were just able to reproduce this on a few of our accounts, and each time it seemed like a refresh fixed the issue. Iā€™m going to relay this information to Garmin so it is on their radar.

You got it!!! This means customer orientated! Thanks a lot!!!

1 Like

I had that question too @Michael_Tate. I tried a push workout today on my Edge 520 and it did not pause the workout at intersections when the Garmin would otherwise auto-pause itā€™s regular ride time counting. I wish it would pause the workout though.

@bnied Iā€™ll try manually pressing the pause button for now. But please TrainerRoad keep a lookout for a way to get the Garmins to do it more gracefully (I do realize a lot of that is out of your control :slightly_smiling_face:).

From a power point-of-view, you shouldnā€™t ā€œhideā€ a pause as it can change the work interval. If I had a 2-minute traffic light interrupting a 5-min vo2max interval, Iā€™d want to scratch that and do it again. Unfortunately I donā€™t think it is possible to do that on a Garmin Edge.

While this is not possible for everyone, Iā€™ve decided to only do ā€œhard and uninterruptible intervalsā€ outside on roads that let me do the work without interruption. If not, then I do it on the trainer.

I have a slightly different take on it.

Iā€™m with you on VO2 intervals and such being done only on stretches of road (or, more likely indoor trainer for those) where I can do them without interruption.

But Iā€™m looking at the much longer duration sweet spot or tempo intervals and trying to do those outdoors sometimes. If I have a 20-min. moderate interval on tap, Iā€™d rather have my workout pause for a minute a couple times at intersections than just keep counting and I end up with less work overall. So if 3 intersections total 3 min. of stopped time, then my interval will be done after 23 minutes elapsed. True, it wonā€™t be 100% as effective as pedaling nonstop for the 20 minutes, but at moderate intensity I have to think the difference wonā€™t be as critical.

1 Like

we are actually on the same page, it is one reason I said ā€œcan change the work interval.ā€

Iā€™ve been doing structured workouts on Edge 520 for 3 years, Iā€™m all ears if someone has a solution to extending work intervals for things like tempo/SS. For what its worth one solution Iā€™ve used is switching to my lap page, and then manually use lap button for sweet spot and tempo work (as its easy to remember things like 15-min work, 5-min rest). Iā€™ve also standardized on structured workouts that use lap button for warm up and cool down, assuming I know the road will allow me to ride without interruption during the work/rest intervals.

@ongd The fix for this has been approved and deployed. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Exactly. When I use the manual lap button to trigger intervals the Garmin does exactly what I want, it auto-pauses the lap counter when I stop.

But I think @bniedā€™s suggestion will be the best compromise for now - get the benefits of the integrated workout steps and just have to press the start/stop button manually once in a while at an intersection.

1 Like

Thanks understand ā€¦

Yes that works, thanks for the reminder that it works. The reason I donā€™t like Garminā€™s interval counter behavior on my Edge 520 (latest 13.0 firmware) is because of this workflow:

• press stop button
  • a new menu appears: Save/Discard/Type/Stop/etc.
  • in the past Iā€™ve mistakenly pressed the enter button instead of start/stop to restart, and that saves/ends the workout. So my habit has been to press stop and then press back button to return to interval screen.
  • press start button

A Garmin annoyance, however it does allow you to accumulate the entire time at work interval. Thanks for reminding me!

1 Like

Yes, happened to me also. Just sign out of your GC account, sign back in and all is back to normal.

Padgie