TrainerRoad Origin Stories

Did a friend tell you about Sufferfest, TrainerRoad and Xert? No one tells me anything directly. I always find out about things sideways. :smile: TrainerRoad via an algorithmic podcast suggestion. Xert from a previous TrainerRoad forum thread. Zwift from my Strava feed.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree. The convenience and efficiency is a big draw for me too.

Agreed!

2 Likes

DC Rainmaker is a great influencer.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this was my first ever ride on TR (as an aside… it’s kinda hard to find that…)

I bought a vortex smart when they were reduced in price in the summer of 2015 and right after tacx announced they were going to be ant+ FEC compatible. That particular ride was before the ant+ FEC profile was implimented.

This one a few weeks later was after the update

At the time I think I chose TR as a) it suited me and b) I didnt have a convenient computer that was capable of running Zwift :smiley: However I stick with TR as I trust the plans and based on the podcast info, etc they at least make sense. I see the plans on zwift and just can’t make sense of what they are trying to achieve a lot of the time.

3 Likes

Picked up a used power meter for super cheap in 2016. Then, learned about TrainerRoad in Fall of 2016 after hearing about the podcast from a friend. Started using it in the Spring of 2017. First TR session was Pierce. I really like the structure of the plans and not having to worry or wonder if i’m doing the right workouts at the right time to optimize my overall fitness.

2 Likes

Power meter and super cheap surely that’s an oxymoron?

Well, relatively speaking it was cheap. You can find super good deals on eBay on Stages power meters especially the earlier generation ones.

1 Like

In my pursuit to get better training I stumbled across Strava’s training plans but found little value in them. For many weeks I googled “cycling training plan” and “cycling training coach” and that quickly led to all the mentioned sites, including this one.

Sufferfest and TrainerRoad were obvious finds, Xert was really hard to find.

1 Like

Been using TR since March 2016.

I found it as TR was sponsoring the cycling podcast (https://thecyclingpodcast.com/), I was about to change jobs and stop cycling to work (a 30 mile round trip into central London and back) and wanted to continue to stay fit.

I’ve since done several 100milers and a sub 4 hour 80 miler which I’m really pleased with.

Love the TR podcast (almost as much as the cycling podcast), the level of joshing and info is absolutely spot on for this cynical brit :slight_smile:

Keep up all the good work (and next time @chad @Nate_Pearson or @Jonathan are in London - do a meetup).

4 Likes

After buying a road bike 3 years ago, I read about TrainerRoad on DCRainmaker. Rejected TR at the time because it didn’t integrate with my Garmin Edge 520.

Last year I got tired of hit or miss training “experiments” - the perils of self coaching! Bought a Kickr, started TR trial, and finished SSB1-HV with best HC climb ever. Convinced.

Discovered the podcasts this summer, pure awesomeness!

4 Likes

Good Lord…I did a ride like that once, in Afghanistan, on a crappy stationary bike when i really needed to clear my head. I cant imagine doing it again…

Well, I’m still waiting to start. Former racer, minor success in Masters. Stopped riding altogether for 6 years or so until this past spring. Consistently dropped on the local bike shop rides. Did the Coeur d’Fondo in Sept and ended up with a bad case of tendonitis in my right knee.

1 Like

I found TrainerRoad through the podcasts. I had been searching for a decent cycling training type podcast for a while (most cycling podcasts at the time seemed to be pro-cycling stuff) and stumbled across the podcast at about episode 50ish or something like that. I was so impressed I spent the next few weeks listening to the back catalogue.

After that, it was only a matter of time before I used the app itself

2 Likes

I was a trainer hater, I have had a Fluid2 since the early oughts and I have ridden it just a handful of times. I was riding on Zwift now and then during the winter or inclement weather, but when i was scheduled for major hip surgery, I bought a KICKR so that I wouldn’t have to stop cycling altogether during recovery.

I have a friend who trained on the bike almost exclusively for his Iron Man on Trainer Road witha KICKR, and his results were impossible to ignore. At his urging I gave TR a shot and almost immediatly cancelled Zwift and I’ve been hitting TR two or three rides a week since.

I cant remember how I learned of the podcast, but the two together were a revelation.

I’ve known about TR for a while now but despite being no stranger to structure I initially went down the Zwift route, then went to Sufferfest, both of which have their merits, SF being my personal favourite.

Now though I wanted proper structure without the gimmicks, I’ve even swapped back to a Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro (I also have a PM) from a Tacx Flow Smart, so TR was looking like the software for me.

I started listening to the podcasts and was drawn in by not only the product but the personality of the guys and the company, pretty infectious!

Best move I’ve made, plans look great, no messing around with over complicated pairing, load the app, hit start and that’s it. Perfect!

3 Likes

I too found TrainerRoad through The Cycling Podcast and the sponsorship of the presenter challenge. The combination of listening to The Cycling Podcast whilst doing TrainerRoad workouts is great. Today was an interview with Geraint Thomas whilst completing Carillon.

Then I started listening to the TrainerRoad Podcast too, fabulous for cycling geeks !

I really wish TrainerRoad was around when I was in my late teens and early twenties (pre-internet) when there were a few books about training and not much else. I have no misconceptions of my abilities but it is great to have the opportunity to be as fast as my time, motivation and ability allows.

1 Like

It all started with a broken collar bone… I started with zwift but when I was healed I wanted something more structured and focus on making me the fastest cyclist I can be.
Long story short probly Google and forums that I found out about TR.

Ever since then their marketing has gotten better, but what I truly love about TR is that they stay true to their goal, which is to make Cyclist faster, and the podcast and forum makes it feels and shows that the “higher ups” Nate Chad and Jonathan really care about the customer and cycling as a sport. It’s not all about making the most dough and reaching to everyone as fast as possible and sacrificing their product.

PS when I read the headline I though it actually was about the origin of how nate and Chad founded the company… For a sec in my head is who would play as them if they make a movie about TR ha ha ha

1 Like

Your initial thought is funny. Maybe we should start another thread. Who WOULD you have play them?

I stumbled upon the podcast about a year ago as my CX race season was finishing up. After listening to a couple of episodes I figured I’d give the software a try. My desire to get faster is what drove the decision. I was a mid pack cat 2 mtb racer and wanted to be at the pointy end of the race. I wanted podiums. Since what I had done in the past was not making me any faster I figured I’d give TR a try. My first TR ride was on my 40th birthday in January. Despite my friends urging I stuck to coach Chad’s plans all the way through the race season. It payed off! I got podiums…several. Unfortunately I got enough of them that I will have to race with the big boys next season (cat 1), so now I HAVE to keep up my TR subscription so that I can keep getting faster.
@Nate_Pearson has a racket going! You subscribe, you get faster, you win, you cat up, then you have to renew to that you can keep competing. :wink:

3 Likes