Thanks Ivy. Glad to see you’re not using a burner account.
Thank you!! It’s getting a little awkward trying to explain to people why I have a strange red rash across my chest from my Garmin HR monitor! Allergies suck!
I used it too. I have found it sometimes doesn’t show the HR in the Trainerroad app despite the phone being paired. A restart of the Trainerroad app fixes it.
HI - how do you connect it to TR? My setup is my Apple Watch 4 and my iphone Xs. I run the TR App on my iphone.
I tried Blueheart and also Heartcast but none if this is working.
What exactly do i have to do - Step by Step - to get this work?
Or do you guys use a third device like a notebook or a tablet?
Thanks!
Ahhh thanks. With the TR computer app its working.
And yes - would be great if TH intergrate Apple Health.
NPE CABLE + Heartbeatz
Heartbeatz broadcasts Apple HR to ANT+. CABLE converts ANT+ to BLE
Thanks, all! Will bump this to the team again. ![]()
I would love to see this. My Wahoo HR monitor has just died and would prefer to use my watch rather than buy a new one.
I can see that people want this but is the Apple Watch even designed for continuous HR monitoring?
Even during a “Workout” my Watch only samples HR at some interval. A continuous reading seems like it would be a battery drain.
During workouts the Apple Watch does continuously measure heart rate, same as optical heart rate straps.
If you use Zwift, you can use your apple watch continuously as a HR monitor. This is why it’s requested.
I use the Apple Watch to TR via the heartcast app. It was patchy to connect to my fault, but connects every time to TR. No dropouts or problems with the relatively stationary positioning on the trainer
I would also like this feature, but I don’t love using my phone for the workouts and the AW HR only seems to work when running the app on the phone on most apps except AppleFitness which is probably using you phone to connect to ATV or iPad. So, would love it, but realistically probably wouldn’t use it until there is broader integration or casting options.
I also use AW on Zwift. But it doesn’t seem to be very consistent. Even going straight from biking to running sometimes one works one doesn’t.
Sorry to bring this back after two years, but I wondered if anything has changed. I’ve been resistant to the smart watch game, but I finally got myself an AW 9. I expected it to automatically track HR and show up for a TR workout, but that didn’t happen. I changed some settings that looked like they would do something, also started an indoor cycling workout in Workouts, and tried another workout, but still no HR graph. Is another app still required to make this happen, or am I missing something else?
Hey hey,
I no longer have an Apple Watch but this thread seems to have a solution.
[
|
|
Thank you,
Corey Bounds
I use NPE CORD, works flawlessly.
Benefit, uses mains power, not like CABLE or Heartbeatz.
I’ve both, and work great, but CORD is mains, so no batteries.
Older post, but I find the Apple Watch to be rather sketchy at times. The Garmin HRM Pro (?) has been really great, no drops, but the Apple Watch really kinda checks out at times, and doesn’t do a good job monitoring my heart rate. I’d hate to have to depend on it over a more reliable device, while on the other hand, my wife, and her Peloton, it seems to work really well, very well actually. So is it my band? My skin? The lighting? The sweat? The ‘intelligence’ in the band? (It’s smarter than the average Garmin HR strap, supposedly)
I’ve read that some people just have horrid luck with the AW specifically and other optical sensors in general. I saw a sale on the Qura (spelling) ring, and wondered if it might work better, and more consistently, but how do people handle charging it? And now Samsung has a ring coming out soon too. (Are rings ‘worth it’? More accurate, less drama than the Apple Watch, or other optical sensors?))
EDIT: Oh, and pulse-ox on an Apple Watch. Unless it has changed, it sucks! (At least for me) They were sued by Maximo for ripping off their idea, but the expression of that idea on the AW is so finicky to be nearly useless. The Masimo, I can do it while riding and with some finger movement, but the AW PO system freaks out and quits with almost any movement. I just gave up on it and bought a Masimo unit, and it’s MUCH more usable and reliable. Masimo sued Apple why? Because they made portable PO seem like a joke? Possibly. But then again, someone else might have no issues with that feature of their AW. (It’s too inconsistent for me)
Appreciate this is an old thread, but will add my 2p.
AW is no good for HR during exercise - sensor cuts out due to sweat or wrist position. So it would just be a continuous fight to wipe and readjust it at some point.
Nothing beats using a chest strap. Plus it keeps wrists and arms free.
As a bonus the strap will work with Apple Watch to record HR for running and cycling workouts.

