TR Running thread 2022

You might want to check out and contribute to this thread:

3 Likes

Thanks, I will check it out. Calendar integration is one thing, but if they developed a running AI that would be awesome.

Also, while under consideration if they can allow us to build our own run workouts and send them to Garmin. Preferably build them on a percentage of threshold. With the ability to save the workouts so we can drop them on the calendar, this is the main reason I’m still paying g for TrainingPeaks

2 Likes

Didn’t get the survey, would be interested for sure. Have search emails and nothing received, I wonder how they’ve decided to target. Up until very recently I’ve been recording runs in my TR calendar.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I follow the tri plans but never mark any runs complete. I actually follow another program for my runs.

Maybe I was on a list because I submitted the above feature request.

1 Like

This will be very difficult. Cycling has power and thats a number that constant for each athlete (as long as they use the same bike/pm). I can see how this be use to teach a ML algorithm what to look for.

Now, running is different. There is no constant, just infinite amount of variables. Like weather, wind, altitude, elevation gain/lost, hr at different ages and athletic background… It will be very hard to teach a ML what to look for.
One could argue that speed is a good baseline (currently use on most running training models). Maybe TR or someone else can crack the code on this.

I followed another plan (semi coached) that I think would work well enough for this purpose. For the most part it was fairly automated. All the pacing provided was based on a threshold test. Workouts were prescribed with paces for the intervals and all. I ran my best half marathon during that season, so it worked for me.

The program did not build the workouts for me to download so i built them all in my TrainingPeaks. Pretty simple to Crack, I eventually found that I could set the intervals to a certain percentage of threshold and it would match what they were giving me. Then it’s just a matter of progressing out the length of the intervals in a build very similar to what’s being done on the bike side.

I know this is not as detailed as the AT on the cycling side, but it’s a simple start.

1 Like

Pacing only really works if you are running in very consistent conditions and terrain. Workout success IMO, would be best judged if using a stryd.

1 Like

Agree, would be awesome to work stryde into it.

But conversely, I would say for the most part people are going to be doing the majority of their running in similar conditions to the rest of their training. For instance, there are typically not a lot of choices around my home so I end up running the same route often. Additionally, the program I followed did have a calcultor associated with it so you could determine how much heat and humidity impacts your pace. The pace given was ideal but add your temp and humidity and find out what pace to actually run at. I live in Saudi Arabia on the coast. Running in 100 deg temps with 85% humidity is a bit of a limiter!!!

Isn’t this a similar problem, but not the same, as original TR?

They couldn’t handle external workouts, built knowledge indoors (converts to treadmill) then extended outdoors.

Now treadmills might not be popular in the general running community, but I’ll bet the TR demographic are different. I have one. And before I had one I used one at the gym.

1 Like

That is before my time, but I do know that trying to hit power targets for the outdoor workouts was also hard for me. Everything here is rolling, nothing flat or uphill long enough to fo more thst 5-8 minute intervals. Probably why I can never live up to my bbs predicted times.

1 Like

Contemplating running the portland marathon this year (October); or more realistically perhaps the half. I’d like to redeem my one prior attempt at it ~10 years ago. I haven’t run consistently in years though.

Just started running ~10 miles per week to get the initial returning to running doms sorted out. Made this little progression chart loosely based off of Daniels running formula. Mostly aimed just at building up mileage. Doubt I’d keep the breakdown even once MPW went over 25 or so though the ramp rate seems reasonable.

4 Likes

Has anyone done the Michigan Wo?

I didn’t know what it was till yesterday… I have it scheduled for tomorrow…

Wu

1600 at little slower than Mike
Mile at tempo
1200 faster than 1600
Mile at tempo
800 faster than 1200
Mile at tempo
400 all you have left

2 to 3 minutes between easy

CD

Could I get some recommendations for starting a simple beginners running program? I’m three runs in and I’m enjoying it and want to pursue it to a degree.

I think I have some simple goals and some reasons:

• Variety, feeling a bit burned out with riding
  • I have a lot of life goals this year that don’t include cycling, I like the efficiency of a run for general health. I figure even a 30 minute run that I can do from my house will feel like I’ve done a 1.5 hour ride? (at least at the beginning). I really want to focus on my home projects and doing multi-hour bike rides won’t play well.
  • I want to become stronger, or more durable in general
  • My GF enjoys it, and we’re much closer in running ability than cycling
  • I think it could improve body composition
  • After three short, easy runs, I’m enjoying it and am looking forward to the next one

I’m being very conservative in how I progress. I’ve only been out 3 times so far, 2 miles a piece and the first two were run/walks. The engine is there, but the chassis needs time. I’ve injured myself many times beginning a running program but I’ve always gone out way too deep and done 5 mile runs or more on a first attempt.

At this point I don’t see any competition for me, I just want to try something new and explore a new routine. I suspect I’ll be chomping at the bit to be back on the bike by spring, but in the meantime I appreciate any running advice!

4 Likes

Do you have plans to do running races?
Or just run for the enjoyment of runs?

Just for fun and fitness Joel. For now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would have a bit more variety - once you can run 20miles/week you need to lengthen one run to maybe 10-12miles and cut the frequency to 4x week rather than running 6 days/week the same distance. You will get much stronger that way. Plus add a tempo run @30s mile quicker than your steady run pace but cap it at 3-4miles with a mile wu/wd.

1 Like

Its is just for fun, I would focus on volume and less on speed.
You already have the aerobic from cycling.
You want to reinforce the running muscles which are slightly different of cycling muscles.
So i would start by keeping it easy…
A good way to judge is to run and try signing while you run… if you can sign without stopping to catch your breath you are running easy.
Once you can run and want to add a bit variety, then you can probably add some speed to make it fun!
Granted…you can do it now if you want, but you probably want to stay injury free. So i would advise to take in easy and get a few weeks of base before attempting speed.
Once you can run more than a few miles non stop, I would start adding fartleks.
MY definition of fartleks is slightly different than other. I like it when it just unstructure speed workout…

say, pick up the pace from THIS car to next intersection, keep running easy to recover…then pick it up again from THIS fire hydrant to that blue pickup truck! and repeat as many times as you want… Its a fun way to spice up your running without worrying about distances or paces.

Another way is to do strides… 20s hard…40 recovery… 6 to 10 times… just to get the feeling of moving your legs faster…

Oh, also…make sure you have proper running shoes. Dont need to be expensive…just make sure they are not busted and they are running shoes…

4 Likes

Yeah, I programmed that excel sheet mostly for the initial ramp. It’s following the base progression from the book ‘daniels running formula’ which is the book I most used to train when I mostly raced half ironman’s. Only real difference is that he used 3 weeks as a step increment not 5.

Once MPW is past a certain point I’d definitely want a long run; running 5-6x 7 continuously is not appealing. Runs over an hour feel a lot harder.

1 Like

Couch to 5k (UK NHS) is a very popular one and starts as you have with run/walks, this minimises injury risk from a planning point of view.

You might want someone to eyeball your running form, overstriding is very common for example, see if you have a local running club that has trial days. Ours is very broad having walking groups up to local race winners. Clubs usually have someone technically trained who can give you reliable advice.

You’re running for fun :+1: So dont over think it. Try to find new places to run with your partner, maybe drive to a park or some trails, or take part in a local Parkrun.

1 Like

@Joelrivera and @JoeX thank you. Any advice surrounding optimal cadence? I’ve heard something like 180 strides a minute? Is this worth trying to nail down with a running app?

1 Like