TR Feature Suggestion: How motivated are you to train today?

Love the idea of tracking motivation prior to the workout.

More inclined to agree with three options is simpler. More and I feel like I will overthink it, but I suppose I manage with the post workout survey. :thinking:

I need an ‘Approaching with curiosity’ emoji for this. There are some workouts that I just don’t know how I’m going to go, often until the second or third set!

@Nate_Pearson This topic may get more feedback if the title was prepended with ‘TR App Feature:’ or similar.

I thought it was a neighbourly ‘How’s everyone doing?’ topic, so I ignored it until Sunday night when my news feeds were as dry as a desert rats piss.

4 Likes

This seems to me be a bit like how to summarize a daily training Journal entry into a single symbol. Is merely motivation the only characteristic to record? Should you record this beforehand or afterwards?

I can feel fresh and enthusiastic, only to find during the w/u that things aren’t quite what they seemed, and I’m going to struggle. Soreness, frustration because the bike or computer are playing up, didn’t sleep well so a bit distracted or loss of focus. Then the concluding comment about the workout, one feels like it is actually a bit of this and that, but you have to choose just one; is the question about the feeling only during the hard part of the interval, or the whole thing? Eg I did a Under/over set so the intense part was hard, but it ended with 15min+ cool down a doddle and unnecessarily long.

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

HRV is nowhere near accurate or reliable as a predictor as vendors and internet chat would have you believe.

Same problem for sleep monitors.

3 Likes

Can you link in with whoop please? Pull my data from there? Thanks

Looks like yet another feature which is making Trainer Road unusable for outdoor riding. How that will work with Garmin devices?

Is there after a year finally solution for unstructured rides/races to be somehow included in AI coming?

I am seriously considering to cancel my subscription once it will finish unless it will prove the value on top of indoor winter…

No, HRV doesn’t entirely work, it might for some, but what HRV information? It only works over a very long period of time. So how do you use that?

1 Like

Totally agree, it is kind of informative for some based on an understanding on ones unique HRV, not helpful most of the time and there are periods where it is just plan wrong. Having said that Garmin that uses it is spot on for me, 99% of the time.

1 Like

Hey Everyone!

I wanted to drop in and announce that we’ve turned this feature idea into reality. Half of our athletes will now have the “How Motivated are you to Train?” survey show when you load your workout for the day.

Some notes:

• This survey won’t impact the workout you are about to do, and won’t cause any future adaptations while we gather data.
  • You are not required to fill out the survey. It will go away shortly after you start your workout if you don’t respond.
  • There is a setting if you would like to turn it off in your ride settings.

Why only half of athletes?
We are keeping a close tab on the data to make sure we aren’t priming athletes by showing them the survey. We don’t think this is the case, but we have our data team keeping an eye on the survey responses coming in in addition to things like failure rate to make sure we aren’t causing an undue increase in workout difficulty. If we find that is the case we’ll turn the survey off for everyone.

6 Likes

Is this released on all platforms (Win/Mac, Mobile) & versions (production & beta)?

It is available across all platforms on the latest versions of beta and production.

6 Likes

Would be helpful to have an explanation of what each of the proposed emojis is supposed to mean. For example, what is :neutral_face: supposed to mean? I’m neither motivated nor not motivated? I’m average motivated?

@Nate_Pearson - in the future, it would be great to have some type of indicator that this is TR asking for feedback on a proposed feature, as opposed to random person (like me) proposing a feature. I think if it was obvious that this is TR asking for feedback on a proposed new feature / change / etc. you would get a lot more feedback. Also would be great to pin these for a period of time

3 Likes

:rofl: I think this is the most important emoji of all.

1 Like

I checked and got the survey on Android mobile (but not Win).

I expected some indicator that TR wants feedback on this test feature, along with how and where to give that feedback. Many users are here on the forum, but many that won’t see this topic and know what to do. Maybe I’m missing something with this quick check?

Or perhaps they are planning to connect whatever dots they have in mind with nothing more than this survey, the actual workout performance, and completion survey?

3 Likes

I don’t know. I’m not one of the special people, so I’m not in the 50% that are getting the survey.

The TrainingPeaks version of this is less simple to use, but more clear:

Man, that is a lot of options. I get it in a simple “1-10” sense, but that sure seems like too many choices.

OT: My OCD is tripping with any list like this that is upside-down… “Below Average” shown ABOVE “Above Average” selection… as well as the full list following that trend. If you ask a different way like “Are you feeling Up or Down?”, the list would make most sense with Up on top and Down on the bottom. Just my crazy head and trying to make correlation between position and content :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Hmm that’s strange on not seeing things with Windows. I can’t see your current logs to check your version, but you should be on either 2023.29.1 (production) or 2023.30.0 (beta) for Windows to get the survey.

Well, looks like TR Win just tripped for an update, and I expect that will get me there…

ETA: Got it on Win now:

1 Like