Tour de France 2021! (spoilers)

Wtf how can a continental team afford Sagan and his entire posse??

1 Like

The main sponsor is Total, which is a petrochemical company, which is one of the biggest companies in the world. This Sagan transfer has been out there for a while, and INRNG has indicated that it sounds like with Total being such a big company, they want to make a bigger splash.

1 Like

Some of it is him bringing his own sponsors, as well…I haven’t read the article but I am sure Specialized will be going with him, and that brings in additional $$$.

So Total finds some extra $$ to sign him Sagan brings in his own dollars as well and there you go. Similar to Arkea signing Nairo two years ago…just with more $$$

ETA - this will also guarantee Total to a lot more races next year, so it pays off for the sponsors there too.

1 Like

Correct

1 Like

So it´s basically a continental team with the budget of a decently funded WorldTour team?

On Cav and his team: you see the confidence in moves like Alaphilippe coming to the front towards the end to do just one more pull to give the lead out train a little more oomph and rest. That’s shows total confidence and team commitment

1 Like

Total is a $140 billion company, so it’s not like it’s hard for them to sponsor the team more if they wanted. Not sure how much the team is funded now, can’t be a huge budget currently though.

Yeah maybe some different headlines other than ¨set ocean on fire¨ are welcome for those companies.

1 Like

HTC did a great job leading out Cavendish today!
:joy:

3 Likes

I’m an Alaphillipe and DQS fan, but didn’t it almost seem like things slowed down when he went to the front and then sped back up once he pulled off? Was it just my eyes tricking me?

heh, he was only up there for like 5 seconds it seemed and I think that’s when some a couple other teams kind of collapsed onto the DQS train and it looked kind of argy bargy there for a second. He probably wasn’t used to that and said “screw this” and dropped out of there.

1 Like

The fact that the stage doesn’t end at the 2nd summit of Ventoux is criminal, change my mind.
(Both in terms of excitement and mystique as well as rider safety)

6 Likes

100% agree. In fact, it could be quite dangerous as a result. I’m thinking of Martin/Porte.

1 Like

don’t forget Thomas

1 Like

Thought UCI banned it but WADA wouldn’t do it…yet. Global DRO shows Not Prohibited for a US cyclist still at least.

Fairly low rate of use by this article although cyclists are a high percent of many athletes.

1 Like

It was very clearly his last match and that match didn’t have much left in it. More important was how hard he drilled it in the cross winds to keep the pace up. That was invaluable imo.

Also, can we just give Morkov some huge kudos? Seems nearly impossible to lose if you’re on his wheel in the last 300 meters. I’d love to see a statistic of how high his sprinters place after he drops them off. I bet it’s outrageous.

1 Like

It also shows up in drinking water in places with higher incidences of opoid use / abuse:
https://cen.acs.org/environment/water/opioids-down-drain-scientists-tracking/97/i16

1 Like

I wouldn’t doubt that it’s showing up like that. I’d imagine there’s a threshold like a bunch of drugs.

well nanogram levels in drinking water is a bit low to be used as excuse, if you´d get caught with miligram levels in your blood. :man_shrugging:

If we want to speculate what was in his bottle (which kinda starts to belong into the other thread) I´m wondering if his team is one of the teams using ketones. (Which are not banned)

1 Like

isn’t this a step down for his career? what’s going on with him?