Tour de France 2021! (spoilers)

Finally the time has come! THE Race of the year will kick of this weekend in Brest! Who is gonna do it? Will it be once again a Slovenian duel? Any wildcard favourites?
Can Cavendish grab a stage win? What will MVDP be able to do? What stage are you looking forward the most? So many questions and I´m so excited!

8 Likes

Cav made it in.

Already, things are happening that I didn’t expect.

4 Likes

Wasn’t expecting that either … but it makes sense if Bennett can’t race. There’s still something about this that doesn’t make sense though:

“ I had a very minor incident during training a couple of weeks ago, which effected my knee. While the injury I sustained is very short-term, it impacted my training for the biggest bike race in the world all too much and left me without enough time to be race fit”

So he had a very minor, short term injury about 2-3 weeks out from the Tour, and on that basis wasn’t going to be fit enough? :thinking:

Pleased for Cav though - steel yourself for endless hype ahead of every sprint stage!

5 Likes

I’ve got $5 on Carapaz to win. Longshot but he’s a guy I like to cheer for, and if G gets himself into trouble he’s got one hell of a team around him.

8 Likes

If the rumours of Sam Bennett leaving DQS are true it’s looking like Patrick Lefevre may have thrown his toys out of the pram and given Cav a shot instead. It’s fantastic for him and IF he can win a stage , ah man, it’d be amazing.

From what I read in a preview magazine there is quite a few stages that could results in sprint wins too.
IIRC (probably not) there was 8 highlighted as possible wins for sprinters.

3 Likes

G’s got history of abit of that hasn’t he :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ? That could be a wise $5 spent.

1 Like

Yeah, kind of nuts that Ineos have a current GT champion who in all likelihood is fourth in their pecking order (I’d put Porte above TGH although ironically Porte’s best result is likely to come from him having absolutely zero leadership responsibilities).

Interested to see how they ride. There’s been a lot of talk of them mixing it up, and certainly if Pog and Rog are in 2020 form it’s hard to see Ineos beating them with their usual Tour winning tactics. And Carapaz is a rider who needs to attack to be at his best. Hopefully we’ll get some fireworks!

1 Like

If you’re Ineos, the best hope is for crosswinds on one of the early stages, and hope you can catch Pog & Rog both out. Barring that or both crashing, I don’t see how Ineos wins.

1 Like

The same way Carapaz won the Giro in 2019….by sending guys up the road and forcing Pog & Rob’s teams to either chase or go into a stare down contest against each other.

3 Likes

He lied about his training and recovery status.
Its a Dutch article " Quick-Step-ploegbaas Lefevere beticht Bennett van leugens over blessure | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl" (google translated:)
“We had asked him to rest. Behind our backs, he turns out to have gone to a physiotherapist in Monaco, who said he could train better. A kind of miracle man, you know that,” Lefevere tells HLN.

“We thought he was on the right track. Then it turns out he told us anything but the truth. He said three different things to three different people on the squad. That’s not the way it’s played. It’s bad that a thirty year old guy doesn’t dare tell the truth.”

3 Likes

Lefevere says great many things in newspapers, but we should keep in mind that we only ever hear his side of the story.

9 Likes

This is true.

I bet journalists adore Patrick LeFevere. He’s always got a little gold nugget of a headline for them but I agree with what you say. Great for the click bait articles and news headlines.

2 Likes

Just send me that fiver :grin:

Carapaz only wins this if both Pog and Rog crash etc.

There’s too many TT kms on this years route. Carapaz will hemorrhage far too much time to be relevant. Additionally, there are not many steep climbs this year. Long, but not super steep mountain top finishes. So, it’s highly unlikely that Carapaz finishes significantly ahead of Pog or Rog on a single stage.

I’d like to be wrong, as a Carapaz win would be great. On paper Richie would actually be Ineos’s best option this year. However, it seems Richie simply doesn’t want the added pressure of leading.

I’ve got a sneaky suspicion that Roglic wins this year.

My first actual prediction is stage 1, MVDP goes in yellow. He’s already had his kit made…

1 Like

He reportedly wants to win it in honor of his grandfather, who never wore the yellow jersey and passed away last year (or maybe 2019?).

4 Likes

I was going to have a punt on him too :+1:

You have to be a special talent to be able to win a grand tour using movistar tactics.

1 Like

My first Tour de France | Lucas Hamilton — Stanley St. Social Good podcast

1 Like

yep it was 2019.
The french sports media is ready to explode about this story if he can nab the yellow jersey. Poulidor was SO loved in France to see his grandson don the yellow jersey considering he did 14 Tours, had 11 top tens and 8 podiums.
It’ll be like exercising a family demon!

3 Likes

I’m very eager to see Mike Woods lead Israel Startup. He’s been flying this year, and before he got the GC nod I had him 100% winning a stage in the Tour. I think he’ll finish top 10 and maybe in the top 5, but I’m bummed he likely won’t get to go up the road and win a stage because of his GC role. He’s such a freak athlete who has been really fun to watch.

5 Likes

Stage 2 (Mur de Bretagne) is exactly a Woods stage. It should be an exciting finish. Mike’s TT really lets him down in the GC competition, Hopefully he won’t lose too much time.

Yeah, I think he’ll try to stick with the favorites (like he did in Strade Bianche), but I expect to see Van Aert, MvDP or Alaphilippe take that stage in all likelihood. With him leading the team, his role will likely mean fewer stage win opportunities and I’m not certain he’ll be given a greenlight so early on in the Tour if they’re targeting a higher placing overall in GC. If they just want to get the jersey for a day or two, I could totally see him lighting it up though.

1 Like