Tiktok ... am I missing out?

It’s gotten to the point where even my parents have Tiktok. I tried once and 3 hours vanished out of think air so I told myself to never go back.

But the question is, am I missing out on any good cycling content by not being on Tiktok? I do have Instagram and love that for cycling related content.

No

38 Likes

Good call. My kids got me onto TikTok for a while and I discovered it is very addictive to watch and accordingly it is a HUGE time suck! So while I still glance at it occasionally, usually only if my kids send me something to watch, I try to stay off because it’s a waste of time.

Nope.

3 Likes

You aren’t missing anything by foregoing social media. I’m sure they’d love your data and sell some ads for you to look at though.

If the product is free, you are the product… :grimacing:

11 Likes

This was me when i tried to look at tiktok the other day…

23 Likes

I got thrown in FB jail…again…

Not being on social media is kinda a win.

3 Likes

I got off all social media years ago, (no twitter, facebook, instagram, tiktok, etc) never looked back. I kind of want to get on instagram, but facebook owns it so I won’t. My oldest daughter sends me a weekly tiktok video she feels I would find amusing, yeah most of them are funny, but I don’t want to watch one minute video clips for hours on end.

8 Likes

I got rid of all social media, such an effing pointless waste of time (for me :wink:) - strava and a couple of forums is the closest I get these days

2 Likes

Not sure if this constitutes as tinfoil hat, but Joe Rogan was reading the Tiktok terms of service on his podcast and when you sign up, you give them access to what other apps you have, file names, keystroke patterns. Pretty crazy stuff, no thanks for me.

1 Like

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

My two older boys show me videos from it occasionally, most of which are funny.

There’s been concern about the app for quite some time. It seemed to get some attention back in 2020 the year we all want to forget when Trump wanted to ban the app or have it sold to an American company. (I believe the data from American users goes through Oracle?).

Donald Trump-era ban on TikTok dropped by Joe Biden

Mr Trump ordered the ban on new downloads of the viral video app TikTok. He described it at the time as a threat to national security. In President Biden’s new (2021) executive order he said that the federal government should evaluate threats posed by China-based apps and software through “rigorous, evidence-based analysis”, and should address “any unacceptable or undue risks consistent with overall national security, foreign policy, and economic objectives”.

Also in 2021 there was the Facebook Leak and amid concerns about other social media apps more attention was focused…

In October 2021, following the Facebook Files and controversies about social media ethics, a bipartisan group of lawmakers also pressed TikTok, YouTube, and Snapchat on questions of data privacy and moderation for age appropriate content. Lawmakers questioned head of U.S. policy at TikTok Mr. Beckerman about whether TikTok’s Chinese ownership could expose consumer data to Beijing stating concern that the company could be required by the Chinese government to turn Americans’ data over to the government. TikTok told U.S. lawmakers it does not give information to China’s government

It popped back up again earlier this summer…

In June 2022 reports emerged that ByteDance employees in China could access US data and repeatedly accessed the private information of TikTok users. TikTok employees were cited saying that “everything is seen in China,” while one director claimed a Beijing-based engineer referred to as a “Master Admin” has “access to everything.”

FCC Commissioner urges Google and Apple to ban TikTok

Leaked Audio From 80 Internal TikTok Meetings Shows That US User Data Has Been Repeatedly Accessed From China

And now, It’s back in the news again more recently…

Why the FBI Is Concerned About TikTok

FBI Director Chris Wray believes TikTok poses threats to national security as a Chinese-owned app

because…

National security laws in China require private companies operating in the country to provide their data to the government if requested. American concerns around the app’s security have persisted since TikTok launched six years ago and became the most downloaded app in the U.S. in 2018.

Will certainly be interesting to follow along with where this goes.

1 Like

One of the all time great memes

1 Like

No, nor are you missing out on any good content whatsoever.

1 Like

It’s a Chinese gov hacker tool to track your life :open_mouth:

1 Like

Totally agree, why is this even a question? Haha

Nope. It’s really very easy.

6 Likes

haha, I for example use tiktok but very rare :smile:

4 Likes

It’s the devil. It’s sucking my daughter’s brain out of her skull 15 seconds at a time.

1 Like

You would be infinitely better off controlling your mental nutrition by reading books.

2 Likes