Please remove trackers like from Facebook

I’m happily paying for TrainerRoad’s great service. So please value my privacy and remove tracking software like from Facebook (connect.facebook.net). Don’t hand out my data to companies which don’t give me any control over it.

I can see some trackers in the web application, even when I’m logged in. I haven’t checked, but I could imagine they are also to be found in the desktop app and in your mobile apps. I’m talking about all of those.

This is not a feature request, because privacy is a human right, not a feature.

Thank you!

33 Likes

I don’t work for TR and am not a privacy expert, guru or even that concerned about it personally. But here’s a relevant section quoted from the TR Privacy Policy;

“YOU SHOULD NOT PROVIDE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION UNLESS YOU CONSENT TO THAT INFORMATION TO BE USED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS POLICY.

The Site permits you to post, upload, or otherwise make Personal Information publicly available on the Site or through third party web sites and services, including, for example, blogs, Facebook®, Twitter® or other social media applications, and Strava®, Garmin Connect®, TrainingPeaks®, and other training related applications. When you do this, the Personal Information will be made publicly available through the Site or, depending on your setting on the third party web site or service, through the other third party web site or service

It actually doesn’t take long to read the whole policy. You should read through it, and make an informed decision on how YOU will proceed.

Since you’re concerned about your privacy suspect you’ll find what you’re looking for in the stated policy linked above.

Take care.

3 Likes

He’s not uploading/posting “or otherwise make Personal Information publicly available”, so the parts you quoted are not relevant.

He’s objecting to TrainerRoad embedding Facebook trackers, so that the mere fact of using TrainerRoad or the forums continuously sends data to Facebook on what his interests are.

15 Likes

Yeah, but if we opt out of everything that has a privacy statement we don’t liked pretty soon we’ll all be back to using corded telephones to coordinate our sabotage at the local textile mill.

It seems pretty reasonable to me to request that TR not use Facebook trackers for a premium-priced service. Tracking user behavior anywhere but the site you run is gross and, imo, super unethical.

9 Likes

@sendung Are you referring to Facebook Pixel?

We have this on our site to be able to use Facebook ads. It lets us know when someone signs up via a Facebook ad so we can track conversions. It also allows us to not send ads to existing athletes.

Facebook has been our only (slightly) profitable ad platform. If we removed that, we wouldn’t be able to run ads.

Most of you probably run into it a lot. There are about 6.7m websites with it installed, including Zwift and Wahoo.

I want to be clear about what the FB Pixel is NOT. It’s NOT a way to scrape data and sell it to Facebook. We don’t get money from it or any extra data. FB only lets us know if someone signed up for our service via an ad.

50 Likes

Nate,

How long now until the speed from power is released as a beta feature?

You posted that it was almost ready weeks and weeks ago.

@Nate_Pearson

Glad to hear that you’re not following us around the internet. Thanks for the clarification.

3 Likes

wrong post to ask this.

in any case…
the line is back there. We are waiting for non cycling workouts to show in TR (which is arguably a more requested feature)

6 Likes

Lets try to keep this thread tidy haha, I KNOW it’s exciting when Nate makes an appearance. A note from our welcome page about feature implementation:

Feature Requests

While we do sometimes discuss details of our future roadmap on this forum, our product development priorities are always subject to change, and we can’t offer updates here on individual feature timelines or schedules.

6 Likes

Asking now. I saw something about it just yesterday. Let me see how close it is.

3 Likes

Me: “We can’t offer updates here on individual feature timelines or schedules”

Nate:

72 Likes

It’s been pretty hard because they’ve had to change some internal data structures. Its still more than a month out.

9 Likes

Sad Walk GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

16 Likes

I keep it vague. “As soon as one month or more!!”

19 Likes

Although not the greatest of news, its encouraging to hear TR is working on it!
thanks for the update!

Since you were a developer at some point… You know when a developer say a month he/she is REALLY saying no less than 6 months out!

:laughing:

2 Likes

My rule of thumb, before any code has been written, is to multiply by two and raise to next unit. So if an easy feature is something a lead engineer can “knock out in a week” a better estimate is around two months for an alpha/beta IF we make it a priority for that engineer :joy:

8 Likes

We are engineers and software developers… we have no idea how to estimate…
On my status report I started putting random numbers as completion percent on my tasks. one week might say 95%, next might say 12%. Sufficient to say they stop requesting my updates!

:rofl:

3 Likes

Is @Nate_Pearson saying outdoor workouts are more than a month away or this speed power thing? Or both?

1 Like

^ This ^ = Yes

Per:

Levels Version 2.0 = Unstructured Workout Analysis (Ouside stuff is at least part of the 2.0)

• Edit to add… THIS confusion is the very reason we strive for single focus topics in the forum.
5 Likes

Darn. I felt like we must be getting close. Oh well. Good to know. Expectation reset.