Thoughts on intervals.icu data breakdown

Fixed. One decimal now. That was an oversight not by design.

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the quick fix!

1 Like

If youā€™re doing intervals and look at efficiency factor, what is a good value?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a good EF value, just good relative to yourself. During longer sweet spot intervals, for example, Iā€™ve been at 1.68-1.7 generally for my EF. Iā€™m on week 5 of SSB1 HV and thatā€™s been pretty consistent since the first week, and for me that kind of tells me I likely wonā€™t be bumping up my FTP for SSB2. Iā€™m not an expert by any means, but if that EF went up consistently past, say, 1.72, after being at 1.68-1.7 initially, Iā€™d probably see that as a sign of progress.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been brainstorming a chart to track EF over on the intervals.icu forum, search ā€œaerobic trackingā€ and you can find it. There is plenty of literature on the topic and you can go pretty deep into what the data means. The primary use that I have been investigating is to do with charting aerobic endurance over time.

Excellent will take a look

Do you know how this is calculated? Is it a fixed % of max seen HR? Based on workouts? Based on age?

It is based on the HR zones that you can see in settings. By default, HR zones are calculated based on percent of lactate threshold heart rate but you can also manually adjust the top and bottom values for each zone.

1 Like

Efficiency Factor and Decoupling

2 Likes

I like to keep things simple in intervals, and most of the custom factors being built in, while cool, donā€™t end up getting used for me.

That being said, efficiency and aerobic decoupling are two topics that would be super interesting for me to track in workouts and over time.

Also, I hope itā€™s okay to mention this: David has a Patreon for intervals.icu. I joined recently, as he takes a ton of time to create new features, and I assume that keeping the lights on isnā€™t free:
https://www.patreon.com/intervalsicu/posts

4 Likes

You can do this now with custom charts on the fitness page. See this thread:

4 Likes

@davidtinker Hello david, thereā€™s a minor bug with the logic for determining ā€œcurrentā€ and ā€œlastā€ season: instead of using the current date to see which season it lies within to determine current season it seems instead to assume that the last-dated season must be the current season and the one prior to that must be last season; this all goes wrong when you create seasons that lie wholly in the futureā€¦

Tx. Good catch. I didnā€™t consider future seasons. Will fix.

1 Like

(Small?) Feature request, though if it doesnā€™t make sense no worries there:

The classifications on the totals page are super interesting, but they donā€™t really reference the ranges for each of the classifications (polarized, pyarmidal, etc). And because Alexā€™s FFT link still seems to be pointing to a website under construction, I canā€™t prescriptively say ā€œhrm, I need to decrease my Z3/4 by this much to be in a polarized training state.ā€ for example.

I donā€™t know how to put that information there or whether itā€™s worthwhile, but it was something new that occurred to me.

Not sure if its the answer you are looking for, but I think I have heard that zone distribution models are more descriptive than prescriptive. Meaning that they are not necessarily meant to be followed ā€œto a Tā€, they just describe training in general terms.

2 Likes

Just to echo @hubcyclist, efficiency factor is looking at raw watts and raw heart rate, and those two variables are hugely individual. My FTP is about 200 and my max heart rate (recently) is around 190, so my efficiency values are going to be way lower than somebody with the same heart rate range but a 350W FTP, or somebody with a 200W FTP and a much lower heart rate. Itā€™s not a ratio you can reasonably compare between individuals.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say Iā€™ve just discovered the custom charts, fantastic work! Thanks very much again. :blush:

1 Like

Makes sense to me! Then I suppose I would be interested to see what rules are defined for the categorization. But fair point; itā€™s not a big deal either way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I adapted the rules I got from Alex a bit to better fit people who do 12h a week sometimes. But I donā€™t think there is a ā€œstandardā€ way to do this. Here is the code:

let ans
if (s3 > s2 && s3 > 0.499 * (s2 + s1)) ans = HITT
else if (s3 > s2 && s1 > s2) ans = POLARIZED
else if (s1 > 3.99 * s2 && s1 > 3 * (s2 + s3)) ans = BASE
else if (s1 < 3.01 * s2 && s1 > 1.4 * s2 && s2 > 1.4 * s3) ans = PYRAMIDAL
else if (s1 < 4 * s2 && s2 > 0.5 * s3) ans = THRESHOLD
else ans = UNIQUE

s1 = Z1 + Z2, s2 = Z3 + Z4, s3 = Z5+

1 Like

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing your logic behind the classification!