The Podcast - Too much biology?

What app is that Chad?

Soundcloud mobile.

1 Like

I guess thatā€™s the issue. I donā€™t see the same on Spotify or Overcast or Apple Podcast. You must have to update every app separately.

That is my guess (manual and separate), so it takes time and effort.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not the case. Just checking Podcast Addict that I use on Android & thatā€™s pulling in the episode notes from the Sound Cloud publish.

1 Like

Ok, ā€œyou must have to update MANY of them separatelyā€ :joy:

There are a LOT of us. I stopped listening for about 4 months because at the time it was all about CX, or them racing, or other things that I wasnā€™t interested in. Iā€™m interested in what can help or hinder my training. We all have different interests.

I like 'em. One can get ā€œRide more/harder, recover betterā€ banter anywhere. Sure, we could all use a few more race recaps and strategy discussion as well, but I think understanding why long term diet/nutrition differs from on-bike fueling can be important.

My marginal gains (or low-hanging fruit) are still coming from consistency of riding and not from any specific plans, but its nice to have a better idea what is going on in my various systems.

2 Likes

ā€œI just skip them much like I do with any podcast that covers something I really donā€™t need to hear.ā€

I think they did some Ironman Hawaii podcasts, including athlete interviews. I skipped those because I wouldnā€™t have found them interesting.

My podcast (generally) listening peaked when I had the most windshield time, but since my car has gained fewer than 5000 miles in over a year, and I donā€™t listen to podcasts while commuting by bikeā€¦ I can afford to drop a few episodes without complaint.

I donā€™t disagree that reading (original studies, analysis, articles etc) is probably a better way to truly learn the material, but going to lectures in college still felt productive, even if the professor wasnā€™t taking attendance. (podcast listening doesnā€™t get my full attention like a class would have, though).

I definitely agree. Chad stumbles through the info in deep dives, leaving me confused and uninterested in the subject.

At this point it would be fun to hear about cyclocross or early season races. Too bad there canā€™t be any Zwift race smacktalkā€¦

2 Likes

Personally I love the deep dives. If I donā€™t understand I relisten until I get what I need from it.
I mtb and TT. I still enjoy listening about Rd race strategies even though I will never Rd race. For me, learnings from one context supports my understanding in another.

3 Likes

+1 on the deep dives.

The in-depth health, biology, nutritional, etcā€¦ info is fascinating to me. Not only do I often relisten to these segments, but I also find these are the ones I share with family and friends. The recent discussion on anemia is a case in point. I shared that with my wife and daughters, one of whom is a competitive endurance athlete, and with a good friend who is a naturopathic doctor.

I also love the tactics discussions, gear talk, and sagas of 61" frame bike weights. But ultimately, my bike performance is all about my personal health and fitness, and these deep dives help me better understand how to take care of and optimize the engine at the heart of all this obsessive behavior, me.

4 Likes

I completely agree. The biology part of the podcast is the piece I look forward to the most. Itā€™s incredibly interesting to understand how the body works and the training Coach Chad prescribes relates to different adaptations.

3 Likes

Short answer: keep the deep dives
Longer answer: but not the way you do it now

IMHO - Your podcasts are frustrating as all heck!
a) topics are (seemly) in random order
b) way too long - guarantees three-to-five listening sessions to get through
c) thereā€™s gold in there. Itā€™s just too hard to find. butā€¦youā€™re really are onto something

advice - (get on the trainer) listen to thisā€¦ a16z: How We Podcast
(youā€™re not Joe Rogan. yet. (specific to reference in the above podcast))

As much as I hate to make any sort of comparison or recommendation - how gcn breaks their show into known segments is working for me.
everything on their show is a sponsored placement isā€¦an opportunity? an abomination? jury still out.

keep trying stuff

2 Likes

I think most of this could be solved with infographics on the forum or with infographics edited afterwards into the YouTube video cuts.

Maybe when they have a bit more resources / personnel it will become one of TR users favourite features

I love the podcast. Itā€™s entertaining and there are many gems in there.
Examples: first I heard of Maurten nutrition which helped solve my IM bonk/overeat challenge, heat acclimation, ā€¦
Yep thereā€™s been lots of biochemistry but endurance sports is mostly about training & channeling our biochemistry. We donā€™t play golf. Still the TR gang mix it up and I really enjoyed the Kona interviews.

2 Likes

For my part, I love the deep dives into the biology and mechanics of sport. I think itā€™s what sets this podcast apart from others, and the discussions have been a major positive influence on my daily thinking with regards to training, nutrition, and overall well-being.

One thing I would like to see is a set of special episodes that are focused, scripted, and produced, that can be a down-to-business reference on certain important subjects. Some people have mentioned blog articles, which are greatā€”this would be like taking a blog article and making it into an episode (confusing enough?). I love the podcast for its meanderings and banter, but sometimes when Chad is presenting something with a lot of complexity, it can get lost amongst all the chatter.

2 Likes

Ha,funny, I tend to agree with all of what you said, have listened to them all from the start and like to hear the personal stories, oatmeal, beer and sinuses, I have all these issues.
I like the deep dives too and get quite a bit from them, sometimes I feel like thereā€™s an overuse of technical terms in these but it might just be the way the topic is.
I also do tend to skip the offsite guests, not really sure why.

I love it when Chad gets into the science!

1 Like

That is a solid concept. An alternative might be carving out segments of the current podcast, say 10, 15, 20 min for the topic and have the presenters agree to do those sessions with minimal interruptions or side lights. Or produce them separately and splice them in.

Anyone that lectures knows it is not easy to organize content and then present it. And we usually are talking about our work. Kudos to TR team for doing these segments and to Chad for the prep work and presenting. Picky bits aside, it is not easy to go read a dozen or more papers, develop a useful understanding of a topic and then try to pass that along to others.

FWIWā€¦ TR is now the only cycling podcast I listen to in full each week. So voting with my ears, yā€™all are doing something right :slight_smile:

Topic suggestion - It would be fun to have some guests on (maybe the Park City mtn bike kids) to talk about their plans for foundation - base - build -race for the 2020 season. Give us in the northern hemisphere some two hour podcasts for the winter !!

-Mark

1 Like