The Podcast : Is it too long?

You forgot to add that there’s too many people participating and posting on this forum, making it hard to read everything :rofl:

@jzhowie OK, joking aside, it’s not possible to satisfy everyone’s tastes. 2 hrs is long in comparison to other podcasts, and some may prefer shorter podcasts with more punchy topics.

I think I recall Jonathan saying he sometimes listens to podcasts at 2x speed. So that’s always an option and slow down when you get to a topic you’re interested in.

5 Likes

In other news:

the gas pump at my local gas station pumps too slowly

There is too much water coming out of the faucet when I turn it on all the way

And the speed limit on the street is 3mph too high

4 Likes

Michael_Jordan_crying

Damn you TrainerRoad for keeping us entertained for 2.5 hours. I only want to be entertained for 1 hour.

23 Likes

I like the longer lengths in general. I’m probably in the minority but I’d prefer fewer deep dives into the science of each topic. At a certain point it just gets too dense and I forget what they were talking about in the first place. IMO just give me the cliffs notes version of the science, and maybe where to go to dive deeper into it for those that are interested.

1 Like

Bonjour
Way too long , not all themes are of interest for one given listener ,
I can’t listen to it that way, i’d rather they split it in shorter (20 to 45mn ) sessions with specific themes. May be an edited version?

4 Likes

Get a dog, my dog loves the longer episodes. Long episodes = long walks.

2 Likes

I didn’t know they edited it into single questions. That’s a good idea!

6 Likes

I think in these COVID times that having an interesting podcast that goes on for longer is great.

Maybe when we’re all back to work in the new normal (fingers crossed for everybody) the podcast will get shorter.

And there’s always topics I prefer vs ones I don’t. Personally I don’t race so there’s been a few podcasts a long time ago when Nate and Jonathan were discussing tactics for 20 minutes every episode and it seemed like every time it ended up with ‘sometimes it’s good to try this but sometimes it’s bad to try so you just have to be ready to react/adapt’ and I basically just smiled through the details of a race one pedal stroke at a time and then it would finish with ‘sometimes’. :slight_smile:

Perhaps the person who made the original comment could remind me how much they are paying for this podcast? :wink:

The podcast is a bit too long for my taste. Not everyone is blessed with more time at the moment. Now I feel like finding the nuggets of gold in the podcast takes more sifting, and looking up individual questions that have been sectioned out is just another job to do for me.

I’m pretty happy with just stopping listening when I’ve had my fill, but I don’t feel like I’m getting as much out of it.

I get why lots of you are digging more content thorough.

1 Like

true but you can always search for any past topic here: TrainerRoad "Ask a cycling coach" database of Q&A [quick link fft.tips/trainerroad] - Google Sheets. Enter the topic as a whole word or part word 3 letters of more eg “base” or “muscle”. Then click on the youtube link for that exact topic. I have indexed 1500 so far. Got another 200 or so to put in soon.

2 Likes

I break it up and listen over a couple of days. The extra time added now may be due to four people adding to the conversations instead of three.

3 Likes

I’m also in the short and punchy camp. Playing it at 1.5 to 2 x speed helps. They are great, but definitely too much guff. Keep it up TR. great having guests on too.

1 Like

Sounds like a bad case of FOMO. There is a fast forward button, there is a pause, there is a stop. And their is a 2x playback speed option. If you are put off by the length that’s not a issue with the product just the mirror you brought to the game.

2 Likes

This is what I was getting at probably.

Always good to start a debate. I’m well aware there is a pause and a fast forward button.

I listen to podcasts at work. I like to set up my playlist and set it going then not have to touch my phone again, especially since I now potentially could get it contaminated with CV.

Definitely a 1st world problem, just thought I’d ask and see what the consensus is. Looks like its ‘shut up and go home’

1 Like

The longer the better. I was happy when I saw this week was over 2 hours

1 Like

If you are watching via Youtube after the event then click on the “Show more” link below the video and the show notes have times and links to the start of each topic.

Maybe I need to listen to it again because I don’t think the section on how to breathe lasted the 54 minutes indicated by the show notes!

I don’t know if this is a poll or not, but I love the length of the podcast. I can skip through if I need to but instead I end up listening to it in chunks over 4 or 5 days and then there’s another one available. I listen to about 5 or 6 podcasts and so my drive time, dog walks, showers, work in the kitchen always have podcasts going.

I also think they’re a little long right now because of the shut down. There’s a litlte more time available with people not commuting and all the other little things that come with normal office life.

1 Like

Very well put @ratz. 2nd this, there are lots of options for those that don’t enjoy the full experience.