The Ironman Training 2021 Thread

Happy new year, welcome to the forum, the thread and good luck with the 70.3s this year! :slightly_smiling_face:

What phase are you in and how are you finding it so far?

I was looking at doing IMV1, but started my plan now so will give it a miss.
If there are races later in my program I may do them as speed work.

2 Likes

Well end of week 2 already. Feeling the toughness of the threshold sessions already but glad to see it seems to fit with the 321 running so far.

Anyone else got their baselines in for the year?

40k Zwift TT 01:00:48 @266W
FTP Ramp 260W
5k run tt 23:13

I’m just wondering whether I can simplify my set up and rely on the trainer for workouts. It reads 4-5% less that my power pedals but varies depending on the power level. So I’d need to take the ego hit, but it would also simplify things to training - just start pedalling and go - which could be of greater training benefit that the accuracy of my pedals. And I can still use pedals for real and virtual racing so I have more accurate race results.

1 Like

That time seems pretty slow for that wattage on Zwift…I would think you would be well below an hour at that wattage. Were you on the Buffalo bike? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To answer your real question, yes I am fat. :grinning:

Actually the only really significant thing is that it’s further data around output I can sustain, useful to support FTP and refine my Olympic efforts. :+1:. If I can elevate my FTP again to 290W such that a near-hour bike split is achievable without ruining my run.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, absolutely…it is all about the watts, not the “time” in Zwift. Given the game’s proclivity towards heightened speeds, I was just surprised by the final result at that wattage.

1 Like

Coincidentally 4th place also put in exactly the same watts as me for a 56:42 but that’s what being 20.4kg lighter does for you :sweat_smile:. I’ll stick with wine and chocolate and they can keep their 4 mins…:+1:

8 Likes

Thank you.

This is the last week of a Base phase. Next week it switches to Build.

For the last 8 weeks I have actually been trying to swap out my bike workouts with the workouts from the Sustained Power Build Plan (Low Volume) with the hope of raising my FTP more quickly. Before I started those workouts my FTP was at 209. My next ramp test jumped up to 236 and my last one was at 234, but I was feeling pretty fatigued that day.

Do you think it makes sense to try work those workouts in again or to do something other than what the regular half distance plan assigns to me? At 5’11" and 205 pounds, my FTP is pretty low for my size. I think my first ramp test (about 9 months ago) gave me an FTP of 179.

Thanks!

1 Like

What are the most important workouts that someone looking to complete an Ironman should do?
Long Z2 rides? Progressively longer Sweet Spot/Threshold sessions?
What about improving FTP and VO2Max, should that be a priority?

One workout you have not mentioned, which I think is critical for an IM, is Tempo /Z3 work. It helps raise your FTP, builds endurance on longer rides and is not overly-taxing. I don’t know if it the “most important” workout, but one that should absolutely not eb overlooked.

For an IM, I would not worry much about VO2max workouts…it is relatively useless for race day. IM efforts are all about proper pacing and that means nothing even close to a VO2Max effort, even if it is just for a small hill or something.

Improving FTP is “almost” a byproduct of your training…if you have a well-structured program, your FTP is almost certainly going to increase. So in that regard, I would not focus on it as a goal, but just let it be the result of all of your training.

2 Likes

As I mentioned previously on the thread, I have been very inconsistent or my 3 years on TR. So I finally did the bike portion of a full Sprint LV plan plus 3 times weekly MAF running, missed 2 weeks at the end of the year since i broke the rear derrailuer hanger - but added more runs. To wrap it up and before 2 weeks bike hiatus, I jsut a Ramp Test and…hi my all time high and FTP of 197W! (Virtual Power). At the start in Sept FTP was 183W. I also finally got a power meter and ran concurrent on Rouvy. Analyzing that data the FTP would be 222W, but there is discrepancy on the low steps where real power is much lower and then around 220 W there is a cross over with Virtual power. i like the new real power :grinning: So the baseline for 2021 is:

FTP - 197 W (2.25 W/KG0Virtual → maybe around 222W (2.52 W/kg) real
5K TT - 29:94

2 Likes

+7% or so in four months, not bad. I also did VP for a while before getting a PM, which gave me a ‘jump’. Now I’m looking at going to trainer values which are a drop. It all just serves to remind us that these numbers are primarily useful in our own training and not so much I comparing athletes.

1 Like

Yes, I am super happy with it! I have been perfectly happy with virtual power, but I always have this wonder of what is it really when i am on the road and how to translate back.

1 Like

Me, I just take rests and plug on with plans unless a serious interruption is needed - weeks of sickness or proper burn out - I won’t restart plans or switch them. So if you think it’s tough enough to affect the rest of your training maybe turn down the intensity for a week, swim bike and/or run, or add in a few more rest days.

1 Like

That’s a big question. They’re all important, but the most important thing is consistent training of any kind.

If you are 12 months out, and you had to drop a bike session - it doesn’t matter so much, although I would more likely skip long endurance rides for organisational reasons. If you are six weeks out, then the long endurance rides are my priority over vo2max.

Which volume plan are you considering, and what is prompting the question?

1 Like

I’m registered for IM 70.3 St George (May) and IM Arizona (November, my first full). I’ll probably also sign up for IM 70.3 Arizona (October), but I’m waiting until that’s close to filling in case St. George gets canceled and I can just transfer my entry.

So based on the May race, I just started LV Half Base. I’m fortunate that I can still swim in an outdoor pool, but I’m dropping 1 of the 3 scheduled swims each week for now. I’m also subbing out the shorter base run for another strength session. I’m a little concerned about burning out with potentially 11 full months of structured training until the full at the end of November.

I am pleased that working through Sweet Spot Base LV (plus some running) in the off season boosted my FTP. Last year I lost a few Watts during the break, so it feels good not to have slide backward.

2 Likes

How is your swim?

Welcome back to the thread Ryan :+1:

1 Like

Not great. It’s definitely my weakest leg, but I’m confident I can finish the 70.3 swim fine. Swimming is just so much less convenient, with at least 40 minutes travel + suit up time wasted in the day versus a home strength session. My plan is to ramp back up to 3 sessions per week by March, if it looks like St George might happen (and if I’m vaccinated and comfortable traveling). It’s not ideal, but with 11 months until my full distance A race, I don’t feel the need to go all-in for St. George.

Fair enough…just don’t underestimate the strain of the swim. Even if you don’t go any faster, just getting out of the water feeling fresher due to more pool time is huge.

It is (understandably) the first thing that gets jettisoned, but often the one thing we shouldn’t cut back on.

Good luck!!

4 Likes