The Ironman Training 2021 Thread

I’m really hoping that we can get vaccinated and it is safe enough for St. George to happen! Good luck with your training!

It’s good to know that IM 70.3 Arizona might be a possibility if they have to cancel St. George.

2 Likes

these are good suggestions, just subscribed to TR to prepare 70.3s, one here in Italy in May and then Zell in August and St. George WC in September. So far I like so much the bike workouts, but running workout are non existent (RPE indications) and I cannot do the swim workouts due to pool closures here, so at the moment just doing something with swim cords.
I will go back to Pfitz books which were useful in the past years to prepare running races and integrate the TR Plan, it is a shame that we cannot have indications at least of specific 70.3 race pace efforts in the running workouts or brick workouts. However, I need to improve as a priority on the bike, therefore, it will be good for me anyway.

2 Likes

Group workout announcement

I have scheduled a group workout: Whorl on Saturday January 16th at 11am EST. RSVP below. Hope to see some of you there.

2 Likes

I’ll try and hop in. I’ve just done all the Whorls in TB, but another one can’t hurt right?

#ThatTraditionalBaseLife :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Did my ramp test on January 2nd with the goal of hitting 4W/kg again – managed an FTP of 291W in the aero position, putting me slightly above my goal at my post-holiday weight (160lbs ish). As far as biking goes, I just want to maintain this FTP (or maybe push it to a nice round 300W) and drop down to 152lb or so, which would put me around 4.25W/kg.

I have a 10k TT planned for Wednesday, and a 1kyd swim TT planned for whenever T26 has me do one. I’m shooting for 38:30 on the 10k (6:12/mi pace) and a 1:27/100yd pace for the swim.

Trying something new for this year – I’ll be following trainerroad’s mid-volume full-distance plan, but for the bike only. For swimming, I’m using T26 (I saw good results last year before getting hit by a car and like that they plan lots of volume). For running, I’m trying out Jack Daniel’s 2Q plan, which has me running six days a week with two being “quality” runs (mid-to-long distance runs with tempo/threshold work included). Based on the swim and run volume, I will probably end up reducing bike intensity somewhat frequently in order to avoid overdoing myself. If I can maintain my current FTP, improve my swim a little, and focus on my run, I should be set for this year.

The other major challenge I’ll face is avoiding saddle sores. I never had a problem with them until the fall, but now start to get them pretty bad if I ride more than six hours a week. Spacing out my rides and using lots of chammy cream has helped – I also just purchased a rocker plate which will hopefully allow me to do longer rides pain free.

I start the new running plan this Sunday and will let you all know how it goes!

7 Likes

Posting here as I’m starting my IM Tulsa build
Ramp test netted 333 w 4.9w/kg only 7 watts down from summer peak. VERY VERY happy because I’ve barely ridden the bike since the winter started. Did not ride at all last week due to work travel.

over Christmas/new years for the 2 weeks I did the Kolie Moore vo2 max prescription. Completed 6 workouts over the period with 2 failed workouts. I was feeling improvement on each workout as well.

Now to start 6 weeks of TTE@FTP progression

7 Likes

For me, off-the-bike changes made a big difference in saddle sores, once I started thinking of them as bacteria-driven. So now I always change out of sweaty kit immediately into loose clothing to dry my nether region and minimize bacteria growth. If I do feel any small issue developing (even a pimple), I start using an alcohol pad immediately after workouts to dry further and eliminate some bacteria, and I apply an antibacterial ointment specifically to the issue spot a few times each day.

1 Like

Damn! What kind of bike split do you think that would net you at Tulsa?

2 Likes

long, slow whistle

3 Likes

Haven’t done the math yet. I also had my fit completely redone a few weeks ago so that could make some gains there too. My only frame of reference would be Eagleman 2019.
2:13 25.3mph, avg 235w AVG, 242NP
I see myself holding around 280 on Race day for a 70.3 but maybe 230 for a full.
Also gets harder to judge time in Tulsa as its a new race and more elevation gain

1 Like

Im also 6ft exactly and Im on a 56cm after being fitted.

1 Like

There are some very quick people on this forum. Impressive stuff.

Thanks @JoeX for another year and another thread. I’ll be lurking here whilst continuing my very mid-pack efforts over the course of the next year.

For anyone who is interested I have spent the winter trying to drop weight and improve my run, mainly by trail running, and have my first (unsupported 50km) ultra this weekend.

After that Im going to take a few weeks off, then start a base / build for a boys trip to hilly Mallorca in May (Covid allowing). Will be a smash fest as most are dedicated riders. Thinking sustained power build for this.

After that I’ve got until September to rebuild until IM 70.3 Weymouth.

Good luck on all those embarking on another year of training. Let’s hope we get to see our friends in person and get racing again soon.

3 Likes

Sneaky :wink:. Good luck :+1:

Luckily I live very near some nice trails (near Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire), so I don’t think I’m breaking any rules. Certainly not many people about at this time of year.

Not me … I’m blooming slow :laughing:

1 Like

I meant the training was sneaky, not the run! You’re well ahead of the game if your base training includes a 50km run.:+1:

1 Like

Except my body is broken from all this run training :joy: I generally do Brighton Marathon in April and find that all the base running carries through quite nicely to the September end of season triathlons.

1 Like

Greetings TrainerRoad Peeps! And Happy New Year!
I’ll be racing IM Coeur d’Alene in M30-34. Looking for KQ.
Best of luck to all

6 Likes