The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

Looks like its official - a second wave is hitting the UK

Looks like my first dip into triathlon may have to wait until next year

I pulled the plug on doing the outlaw this morning, even if the event does go ahead. Planning to do a self supported 70.3 on the day. Think the restrictions coming to Scotland in the next day or two will stop me from travelling anyway

2 Likes

Congrats! Well deserved

1 Like

Congrats! Interestingly, when 70.3 Indian Wells was cancelled, transfer to St. George was one of the options, which is what I took. (See below for the full list.) I guess the short race calendar and thus fewer Worlds qualifiers means the fast folks like you may share the Worlds course with slow folks like me. :slight_smile:

1. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta: Dec. 5, 2021
  2. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 St. George: May 1, 2021
  3. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman: June 12, 2021
  4. Free deferral to 2021 Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN 70.3 Des Moines: June 20, 2021
  5. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock: June 27, 2021
  6. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Ohio: July 25, 2021
  7. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Boulder: Aug. 7, 2021
  8. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz: Sept. 12, 2021
  9. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta: Sept. 26, 2021
  10. Free deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie: Oct. 2, 2021
  11. Free deferral to 2021 St. Jude IRONMAN 70.3 Memphis: Oct. 2, 2021

The 70.3 Worlds will be in September. :wink:

Any Idea what date? I can’t find a solid date

September 17th/18th.

1 Like

Ah… I was confused. I see the May date is the North American champs. Interesting to run two events at the same location in the same year.

I’ll probably do either a self-supported one as well.

I messed up my training for this final week though.

Had a great swim yesterday and was feeling so rested so I ended up doing a leg session (first time in ages) as I wanted to just make sure I was strong for the run.

Got on to do Phoenix +1 today and had to bail 20 minutes in… Was meant to run and swim tomorrow but now I’ll probably do a mini olympic distance because I’ve killed my confidence and can’t let that be my last bike session before the weeks taper.

I presumed my legs would be fine today with just some bodyweight lunges and squats and they were so sore! So foolish of me :expressionless:

2 Likes

:rofl:

Did my solo marathon today. My first marathon and at 39.997 years old. I’m new enough at sporting that I order my own medal off of Amazon. Cheesy, but I earned it. :smiley: My goal was 4:00, but I hit the classic wall at 19 miles and degraded into walking and shuffling. If it was a real race, with cool temps (finished at 90 F) and aid stations, how much better could I have done? Muscles would still be fried, but maybe less central fatigue.

Anyhow, I think I’ll drop down to Sweet Spot Base, plus easy runs and swims, for the rest of the year. Then start building for my deferred Ironman Arizona next year.

18 Likes

Great result mate, any marathon is worth being proud of but there is a special mindset needed to keep going when there is no crowd and no finish line - well done :+1:

2 Likes

Congratulations, this is a huge achievement and you should be proud, even though you didn’t quite make the goal time. Doing it on your own is much harder and you should feel great!

2 Likes

Well folks, I Did It Anyway! First IM is in the books!

Swim: Slow, but got it done. Air temp at start was 48F, water was 66. Felt fine in the wetsuit but…

T1: As soon as I took the wetsuit off, I was absolutely freezing and shivering uncontrollably. Changed clothes entirely for the bike, but could barely move. This, combined with having to drive about a mile up a dirt gravel/road to start the bike, made T1 a very slow 25ish minutes

Bike: Started off very cold, but warmed as it went on. Managed to keep a pretty good pace despite some very stiff headwinds, and finished under 6hr of moving time which was my goal.

Run: Gorgeous run, the cooler temps now felt great. Started off a bit too hard but kept this within my goal as well.

All in all, it was a big success and I’m happy to have the first one in the books.

True time from start to finish, including all stops, was 12:13. Split times posted here are from my Garmin which auto-paused at the stops. Happy to have completed it and can’t wait to get my first “real” IM next year!!

15 Likes

Amazing! Well done! You must be knackered.

Tell us the truth now, how often did you think of quitting? :wink::grinning:

Those are great times too. :+1:

Thanks! Feeling pretty dang sore today but not entirely terrible. Will take some time off to try and recover and then get back to work for Tulsa '21!

To be honest, the only time that finishing was in doubt was during T1, as I was shivering uncontrollably and trying to find the strength to start biking. That was definitely the low point during the whole event.

The best decision I made was doing the run all on the trail on which I’ve trained. It’s a gorgeous trail and I knew where the mental checkpoints were, so I knew I could do it. I let myself slow down and just tried to be patient, running from checkpoint to checkpoint

4 Likes

Thanks @JoeX and @steclark, those words mean a lot coming from more experienced athletes!

1 Like

Rode the 70.3 Weymouth course on Saturday and then a 5km run along the run course at the end. We called off the swim earlier as it looked decidedly choppy and two of us hadn’t swam in the sea before.

One friend came along on an ebike to provide support which was brilliant!

So a strange end to the season for me, with more a social weekend instead of race mentality, but nice to recce the bike course for next year - it’s a lovely course. Plenty of motivation to get my weight down as it’s a lot of up and down.

See my post here for the 48mph serious speed wobble, which I never want to repeat again

2 Likes

I am really struggling on the bike again.

It’s been six weeks I finished sustained power build and reintroduced swimming and running with FD LV speciality. I ramped up swim and run my own way so they are significantly less intensity and the long runs are constrained to about 2hrs.

After week 4 and a decent virtual half iron performance I repeated week 4 and cut back for a little recovery, but I’ve really struggled with Stromlo, then Ellwell and Ragged last week and today I couldn’t do Sierra even at 90 or 80 %.

Three weeks until virtual race day, so not sure there’s much I can do but swap in endurance rides, up the nutrition and sleep. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Hang in there… Are you completing the wo or struggling to finish?