The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

When it rains…it pours!

Now my right shoulder is busted…AGAIN! Its been a while since it was busted (maybe 2 years). Had a bad shoulder injury years ago (16 years ago?) while playing basket. Never got it fixed, and now im suffering the consequences. Oh well…this is on me… skipping swimming for a bit, hope its better by Friday.

Then there is the hamstrings/glute problem. Didnt run until Saturday. There was no real pain… mostly just slightly sored, but my legs felt sluggish the rest of the day, and more sored than when i usually do a 60 minutes easy run. Have a PT appointment tomorrow. Will see what she say about it.

3 Likes

Yep

Oh man… that blows.

nutrition? Weather? Maybe coming with some illness?
Maybe need an extra few days of actual rest…?

Not to make this a tiny violin thread but ive been dogged with foot injuries as well. My on running shoes are great for my knees but lousy for my feet!!

1 Like

Swim and run is fine. But it does rather remind me of my disasterous 2017 season which blew up about two months out.

No other similarities though, Ive been seeing steady progress all year - so maybe just a patch. Really hard to dial back training though as pre-race panic sets in :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If it was me I would just dial back the volume where it makes sense and try get plenty of sleep and see where I landed. I figured out this year has been a long season and it went on for about 1 month too long.

1 Like

Doing a self-supported Ironman. Hats off to you sir! I honestly don’t think I could summon the motivation to even do a self-supported Olympic. Major, major, major achievement! Pretty awesome time too.

1 Like

So not far out from when you’d begin tapering? Maybe you just need to dial it back a bit and taper now? No point digging yourself into a hole with 3 weeks to go?

Garmin: Always finding ways to put me down…
New Status: Detraining.

2 Likes

Our Garmins, Polars, etc… only tell us how slow we are!

That said, I love it when mine says “Peaking”, yet I feel like total :poop:

3 Likes

@JoeX, Take 3 full days off. Sounds like your body needs some rest. I am ramping up the swim and run as well and I’m finding the bike more difficult as well. I need to extend the warmup 10 min the get the legs to open up.

@steclark and @RyanGutenkunst congrats! Get some good recovery!

4 Likes

And @Alen

From your comments Ive realised that I should actually be tapering this week. My cancelled event was Oct 4th and the virtual race is 11th so I had to extend speciality a week. Looks like my body didnt get the memo!

So instead of week 6, Ill do the workout of week 7 and repeat next week. Take the intensity out of my runs and reduce volume on swim, but keep the cadence.

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey all,

I wanted to offer these up to anyone that wanted a 30 day trial to Rouvy as they have been laying around. I won’t use them as I am Zwift / TR and also split Fulgaz with my sister in law.

I am pretty sure all of the codes still work and if you use one just post that it was used.

6 Likes

Hi,

just wanted to let you guys know that I received an email from IM concerning safety procedures to follow in the week of IM Cascais like check-ins with scheduled time and stuff like that.

Infection cases are increasing here in Portugal reaching numbers in line with April but it is what it is.

Nobody really knows for sure if the race will go ahead. Until then we have two local branded 70.3s that would point the way.

Another thing… Saddle sores. Severe ones with blisters, rash, etc… that make riding an excruciatingly painful experience… I need to start doing my long rides and after 25 years of road cycling without any episode, this thing came uninvited and is killing me on the worst moment.

Any ideas for a short term solution??

I lowered the saddle, use A LOT of chamois cream, have been use my best kits, will change to a different saddle…

Thanks for any help

1 Like

For me when I got a start of a saddle sore a while back it was due to my seat being too low and not level. I think there is a fine line with that.

Regarding prevention maybe your bibs are not working or need to try a different brand that has a different cut. Also before I got a new fan I noticed I would move around oh so slightly due to the sweat and it would rub a little.

Fwiw I use dnutz chamois cream before and after the shower. If you are not take a shower right after riding. I also use Rapha pro bibs ii.

I dont know of any except time off the saddle. Sorry.

And beware of infection, that could end your race before it starts.

2 Likes

:+1:

Good luck. Im waiting until Mid october, then may make a mad dash for it.

Its not looking good here in the UK either so its pretty unlikely Id go.

1 Like

Have you tried Assos skin repair gel? It works wonders for healing them up quickly whilst you address the cause

4 Likes

Taper week is going well, Adams was surprisingly hard but my legs felt strong this time so I got through it.

I’d like to sort out my pacing and nutrition so anyone’s thoughts would be really welcome!

Pacing:

Swim - 8/10 to start and then settle in to a rhythm after 5/10mins. Just want to come out comfortable here

Bike - Thinking 80% of threshold would be comfortable for the duration. I have a power metre. My bike is my strongest so should I maybe increase this target a little?

Run - Probably going to take this easy as I haven’t done enough base or long bricks to know what this will be. Probably RPE 5/6 until km15 and then increase.

Nutrition

Gel (25g carbs) after the swim and caffeine shot
60g carbs per hour on the bike (all liquid), 1.5 litres of water (hoping to do this under 3 hours so say 180g carbs total)
Caffeine chew at the start of the run
One gel mid run (25carbs), 500ml electrolytes throughout

Total carbs 230grams
Total liquid 2 litres
Caffeine roughly 250mg

Goal time (not including transitions) sub 5:30

Does this sound sensible? Given more time i would have liked to practice this aspect more I’ll be honest.

2 Likes