The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

Indoors - it definitely feels harder holding TT position indoors compared to outside. To be fair the first time I ever adopted the TT position was only a couple of weeks back so I’m still working on the quads which seem to take all the punishment :sweat_smile:.

Can’t see myself staying in it the whole race so I just alternated intervals like JoeX said and adjusted % up/down depending.

Excited to get a TT bike and proper fit once this race is over.

1 Like

Im not convinced they are doing the right thing having the event considering growing cases, new lockdown rules and lack of testing availability in England… might still pass on it as my wife is on the shielding list

5 Likes

Agreed.
There have been multiple events in FL the past few months.
I have been avoiding them.

3 Likes

I was in two minds until recently. Its such a large outdoor space and each swimmer is starting on their own so i’m confident it we will be well spread out.

If i was living with a vulnerable person I wouldn’t be so sure.

It might be my onvious bias but pretty early on I decided triathlon races, gun to tape, arent going to be transmission fests. Im hardly ever near anyone when I race.

Running races, not so much.

Of course the pre-event, travel and so on is a problem at all events.

1 Like

Curious to know of others opinions if the races that happened the last few weekends (Tallinn, Gdynia, Sunshine Coast, Les Sables and Taiwan), mean anything for the last North American races that haven’t been cancelled yet? Possibly thinking about signing up for Arizona 70.3 as my chance to get my qualification for 2021 70.3 worlds.

Can you change it to another day? It’s your party after all

I’ve got 70.3Galveston scheduled for 11/22. As far as I know, it’s a go. It’s Texas so a decent probability that it will happen.

I think outdoor stuff is fairly safe. Look at the TdF. 180 riders with about 15 team casts all next to each other with fans on climbs in your face. Not a single positive test.

Hey all,

I need your help with some recommendations. After my last few Zwift races, I am about to take a two-week “Offseason”/hitting the reset button (i.e. doing what I want for two weeks). After those two weeks, I am launching into my 2021 “preseason” using Plan Builder. Lots of moving parts, so I will try to explain as best I can.

Firstly, do I go with: 70.3 HV advanced, 70.3 expert, 140.6 HV advanced, 140.6 expert? Even though I have 10 years of consistent long course tri training under my belt, I respond well to VO2 work better as far as FTP and even TTE so I am debating between advanced and expert (so more build vs. more base work)

Secondly, I am automatically into IM Lake Placid in July but my friend might be getting married that weekend, so I am unsure if I can make it (they decide in December/early January the final date). Because of this uncertainty, I am thinking of focusing on a fast 70.3 season with Eagleman (early June) and Musselman (Mid July).

Another issue is my local pool is closed here in Jordan with no timeline to open up and what those hours will be, so pool training is going to be potentially tight, which makes me nervous about trying to even purse IM training. I have a swim background so feel like I could at least manage a decent 1.2 mile swim on minimal training but 2.4 miles might be a stretch. I will replace the swims with aerobic bikes, runs, and strength until it opens.

In summary, do I go all-in with the 70.3 and do a 70.3 specific program or do I go with 140.6 in the hopes that the pool will open and that I can make it?

I’d love to hear your thoughts and thank you!!!

1 Like

Well I could, but that doesn’t guarantee that weather will be any better. In fact, as the year gets later, it’s more likely to go the other way. And my swim location is only open on weekends and closes for the year soon, so I don’t have tons of freedom. I’ll be fine, I’m just gonna slow way down in T1, change clothes completely, put on knee and arm warmers and prioritize comfort on the bike. If it takes me 10-20 minutes to transition I’ll be fine with that, it’s not a real race and there’s no sense in being too concerned with time that I suffer because of it

1 Like

Same for FL70.3 in December althoug FL > TX :wink:

As it’s preseason I’d consider SSB and tryout MV before the HV FD long haul, asfor advanced/expert I’d go with the description rather than second guess the output.

Regarding access to water, I’d assume that if you have problems so will the rest of the field so your race position is more or less unaffected.

Thank you! Sounds like a plan!

As far as the pool situation goes, hopefully, I will be on an equal playing field come next summer

1 Like

How’s it been going with your Stryd?

Just received the invitation for 70.3 worlds, apparently a slot did roll down all the way to my 12th. Think I’m gonna take it, always wanted to visit UT :partying_face::slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

It’s been good. Running has taken a back seat to cycling right now but I am excited to lace up again and start adding on the miles. Especially with everything that is going on, having the same way to calculate distance both inside and outside is great. No matter what TM I get at the gym, no matter how off the TM is from reality, my watch reading will still give me the right information. I also updated to the wind version which has been really helpful with pacing, goal race watts, and the like. If the Garmin 955 does not have native power, I am buying the Coros Pace 2 this winter.

Plan Builder came up with a great progression and I am already excited to get going come Oct. 5. Bring it on, 2021 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sweet! I got to do worlds in Nice last year and it’s definitely quite the experience! And an excuse to travel somewhere new is always handy too. :grinning:

3 Likes

Congrats @TG333. That’s awesome news.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I have posted about this before, but tomorrow I am attempting my first full Ironman, which will be a self-organized race after the cancellations of IM Tulsa in May and then IM MD.

If you are interested in reading a longer blog post about my motivation/mission, and possibly donating to my cause, please check out my website here:
https://www.stevenvclark.com/ironman-i-d-i-a-and-more

Hoping the race goes well tomorrow. I’m gonna give it my all, but will certainly remind myself that it’s not a true “race” and the time is not the most important thing. Will be a great practice run for IM Tulsa '21, which is the next race I am registered for and am hoping to compete in.

Thanks to all of you for your tips and advice on this forum, I’ve really learned a lot here and I’m grateful for this resource and for you all.

3 Likes